Hit and Run on Wife's CR-V

Argggh! Last Saturday, someone hit my wife's CR-V hard. The car was parked on the side of the street, about 4-5 feet off the pavement. Here's the story:

Saturday:
2:30am Loud crash and bang. Woke both me and my neighbor up. I checked on my car (the RSX) in the driveway, because I thought a neighbor might have hit it (I share a driveway with others), then checked the garage to see if the cat knocked over a toolbox. Everything was fine, so I went back to sleep. My next door neighbor heard a car speeding up and then the crash. The neighbor saw a car down the street with what looked like a guy trying to push it, but doesn't report it to me or the police at the time.

10-11:00am I woke up and found out what happened- a car hit my wife's CR-V that was parked about 4-5 feet off the street. I made a police report and took tons of photos. The driver's front fender is banged up and pushed back 1/2"-1", the upper and lower suspension on that corner is either completely broke or severely cracked. The rim is bent more than I've ever seen before. The axle was pulled out of the boot (can't see further if it affected the transmission). The driver's door is partially buckled. It also looks like the passenger side front fender was pushed out a little too, but not too certain. There's the potential for frame damage, but I couldn't tell too much while the car is sitting on 3 wheels. The car was moved at least 2-3 feet in the accident.

1-11:00pm Sometime, another person leaves an insurance card on my door- I was gone that evening, so I don't know who or when, besides the info left.

Sunday:
10:00am Called police with new information. The sergent decides to not further pursue hit-and-run case unless I want to- I decline and say that's their call- I just want the damages fixed or the car paid for (ie. guy avoids DUI or other charge by running and avoids misdeamenor by me being nice).

Monday:
A coworker takes his car in to the same bodyshop and sees my CR-V. One of the mechanics just happens to say that it looks like it'll be totalled.

Anyways, I've got a question for you guys, and I know you've talked about it, but I couldn't find it after 5 searches. If the car's totalled and it's the other party's fault, do I get my purchase price or fair market value back (the car was bought used)? If it's fair market value, is it dealer's price or private sales price? Please respond- I've got a day or so before the adjuster finishes. Thanks a bundle!!!

that suks...most likely, they use the black book or whatever you call it to determine the price...but you can't really say it's "totalled", until the inspectors of the insurance company come out to look at it...

djskyy said:
that suks...most likely, they use the black book or whatever you call it to determine the price...but you can't really say it's "totalled", until the inspectors of the insurance company come out to look at it...
I was asking so I can be prepared for the call from the adjusters, so I have information at hand if it comes to being totalled. The body shop is a preferred shop by both companies, and both have said that they'll take the shop's estimate as the damaged value. I know there's some people here who work for the industry, and I was hoping they'd give some insight.

Most likely, the insurance company will pay you the private sales price of the same vehicle with the same options and conditions plus taxes and licence fee. That's what they based on and paid my wife's 95 Integra that was stolen and stripped when we left it on the driveway for just one night because of the garage door didn't work 6 years ago.

larrynsx said:
Most likely, the insurance company will pay you the private sales price of the same vehicle with the same options and conditions plus taxes and licence fee. That's what they based on and paid my wife's 95 Integra that was stolen and stripped when we left it on the driveway for just one night because of the garage door didn't work 6 years ago.
Really??? Shoot- that'd suck! I was hoping for at least the blue/black book on what it'd cost at the dealer, due to the fact that the car is still under warranty, which you'd have to pay extra for with private party. There's a 20% difference between dealer and private party value. I'd be happy with dealer value plus tax, but if I get private party plus tax, then that'd barely cover the remainder on the loan.

Thanks for the reply. I was getting worried with 60+ views, with only one response.

Patdeisa, sorry to hear of the hit and run..that really sucks!!

How did you like the CR-V?? Im thinking of getting one and would like any feedback you may have..
Thanks!

NemesisX said:
Patdeisa, sorry to hear of the hit and run..that really sucks!!

How did you like the CR-V?? Im thinking of getting one and would like any feedback you may have..
Thanks!
We had a 2000, which was the first generation. I loved it as far as SUVs go (I'm not that big on SUVs). If you're looking at one, go for the second generation, as Honda improved just about everything on them. The second generation comes with a 160 hp and 162 ft-lb torque K24 , which is the same block as the TSX (different heads).

The Benefits:
1. Relatively small and easy to park with a pretty tight turning radius
2. Good gas mileage (22-23 city, 25-26 highway)
3. Good carrying capacity for the size
4. AWD
5. Honda reliability (79k miles and was still going strong- no leaks/problems)
6. Safety: car may be totalled, but the passenger cabin looks perfect with no visible safety concerns
7. Comfort
8. Utility: with the back seats folded down, two people (<6' tall) can just about sleep in the back (good for drive-ins). Comes standard with a folding picnic table as the trunk floor. I was also able to go up quite a few dirt roads/creek beds, as long as I took it slow and easy (no, it wasn't a road queen).
9. Lots of storage spots by the front seats

The Not-so-greats:
1. Power (144 hp) is lacking a little at higher speeds in top gear or at high (>8000') elevations on steep dirt grades. However, it'd downshift and do 75-80 mph on almost any paved grade, such as the Cajon Pass, Tehachapi Pass, etc.. It's pretty peppy for around town errands.
2. Back seat a little tight for 3 adults, but great for 2
3. Plasticy interior (like the Civics of that time)
4. Cup-holders aren't deep enough, so cups liked to fall over (no problem if the cup is the right size, but a problem for soda cans)

The major thing that needed looking at when buying used, besides the usual, is the transmission. Honda seems to have some problems building automatics, and some I test drove didn't seem the smoothest or quite right. However, it could all be the previous owner's lack of maintenance. Ours was smooth and trouble-free with no leaks- one of the best autos I've driven.

Last edited:
Thanks ALOT for your input!! Its going to be an about town car for the wife...needs to be very skimpy on gas...for speed..thats what the NSX is for!! Its much appreciated as it was between the CRV or Escape...Im leaning towards the CRV!!

Nemesis- I forgot to mention that if I was looking at buying a small SUV today, I'd definitely get another CR-V, but a 2002+. However, if you're looking at maybe towing, the Escape V-6 is rated at an extra ton above the 1500 pounds for the CR-V.

We arent looking to tow anything. Ive heard too that the 2002+ are the ones to look for also!! I really apprieciate the input and it looks like we will be looking for a CR-V very soon!!

Thanks and I do hope you get your problems settled very quickly with your insurance and you get your wife back on the road!!

Nemesis,

My wife has a '02 CRV EX and we absolutely love it. I highly recommend this vehicle. Unbelievably low maintenance. Ours has 54K and svc manual only called for oil chgs every 7500 mi and an air filter at some point. Nothing else really until 100K. I highly, highly recommend this vehicle.

Patdeisa,

I was in a similar situation many years ago and researched my options. The insurance co wanted to give me $500 for my totalled vehicle (they called it "transportation value"). I argued with them and found out that I could get three estimates from car dealers as to what they would have sold a vehicle like mine on their lot...and I gave those estimates to the ins co and they were required to give me the average of the three. Mention the three estimate thing to them and I believe they're obligated to tell you that you can do that. Good luck!

RJ

Thanks for all of your help, especially h-carWizKid. I now know how I'm going to handle the situation if it does get totalled. I'm still waiting on the official word.

However, I now have another experience to share. Initially, my wife and I got a Durango for a rental car. The rental car company was overbooked, and that's all they had left. I finally got a chance to turn it in for a smaller car, as 14 mpg is hard on the wallet, especially since my wife is driving 100 miles to visit family. I get a new Malibu checked out, and I opted for the optional insurance because the car's going to be taken out of town. Little did I know, that that might be a smart choice. As I pull the car forward about 20 feet to the driveway and wait for a break in traffic, a truck on the lot backs right up into me. I had the horn on for at least 5 seconds, but I had no where I could go to avoid it. I back the car up into the spot, and the rental people come on out saying, "Just park it and we'll get you another." Fortunately, the person who hit me was one of their own employees and at fault, so they just got me another car and let me drive off.

Two accidents in 9 days... My sister was backed into on Saturday as well in her Land Rover. Does that count as 3, so I don't have to expect another???

Update: It's taken 3 1/2 weeks, but the car's totalled. The repair estimate came out to over $12k due to frame, tranny, drivetrain damage. I'm still talking to them about the value, but I might get close to what I was hoping for.

Patdeisa, sorry to hear about your CRV.

Here's a quick pic of my NSX and my girlfriends CRV. I have to say I love the CRV :) I highly recommend it. It's a 2005 and has 160HP.

Nik

DSC01423bgg.jpg

Patdeisa said:
The Not-so-greats:
[...]
4. Cup-holders aren't deep enough,
Well, you know compared to the cup-holders we enjoy in our NSX, anything else is going to seem poor in comparison. ;)

Back