Hipocritical with-in our own comunity

Semper Fi...from a Naval aviator (and maintenance officer) who knows who keeps the birds flying!!! THANKS!!!

I've been a short timer for over 22 years! (still Reserving)
VintageracerNYC said:
Dont worry Dave we love you!

Attachments

• XCAT3AB.JPG
    XCAT3AB.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 65
You'll find people like that everywhere, owning all different types of cars. Pretension cetainly isn't car specific; I'd just brush it off and suddenly develop a very smug look on my face, cause you can own the same car as him and don't have to wear it like a resume.

hey Dave, you're not the only Devil Dog, or service member with an NSX. Even with military pay, if you're good with your money and finances, its possible to own such a car. I was a maintainer with VMGR-352 "Raiders", Com/Nav on KC-130's, who are you with? Sharpshooters, next door?

Dave,
You work in an industry that I don't have the b@lls to work in, so not only do I thank you, but I have extreme respect for you whether you have a NSX or not. If I met you at a NSX meet and you told me that you were in the military, the first words out of my mouth would be "thank you".
Now, knowing that you do have a NSX, I like you that much more. :biggrin:

BTW - beach bum is my choice of clothing too, and if I could dress like that every day, I would. :smile:

TomCat said:
<snip> I've been a short timer for over 22 years! (still Reserving)
short? did you say, "short"?

hell, i'm so short i can back flip off a dime....

:biggrin:

NSXrebel said:
hey Dave, you're not the only Devil Dog, or service member with an NSX. Even with military pay, if you're good with your money and finances, its possible to own such a car. I was a maintainer with VMGR-352 "Raiders", Com/Nav on KC-130's, who are you with? Sharpshooters, next door?

Back in my Miramar days I was with the Bats of VMFA(AW)242 for 8 yrs, now I am with MATSG-23 in Beautiful Lemoore. I spent some time in Raider Air as we like to call it.

It sounds to me like you've run across one of the very few bad apples in our community. If he has a problem with someone of a perceived "lower status" than him owning the same car he does, then I'd have some fun with it by continuing to rub it in his face at local gatherings. After a while, he'll go out and break his bank account on a Ferrari or something so he can "stay above the riff-raff." :tongue:

Get yourself out to NSXPO, and you'll have a more accurate cross-section of NSX'ers represented. I found that most everyone who knew I was in the military were very friendly and accepting. To date, I have been very pleased with the general attitude of this community, but I didn't buy the car because of it. In the end, have fun and enjoy your NSX!

Chuck

mickeylex said:
BTW - beach bum is my choice of clothing too, and if I could dress like that every day, I would. :smile:

What do you mean 'could'? That's all I ever see you in .............

<!--StartFragment -->
hysterical.gif

this thread makes a very important observation.

In fact, the similarity is quite scary. I went to look at an NSX fairly local to me and i was dead set on purchasing the car. I drove an hour to go meet the guy after i had allready arrange a cartified check for a downpayment to hold the car for a week until i got my new garage to store the car. When i showed up in my daily drive P.O.S. 1994 Mercury Tracer with hail damage (my other car is a show car which is only driven on sunny warm days, and it was feburary). The man had a VERY nice house with a beemer in the driveway, all of that. The car was just one of his toys. After talking to the guy for about 3 mintues and him finding out that i was 19, and still in college, he suddenly had a very serious buyer that had allready agreed to purchase the car in full and paid him a downpayment over the phone (are you kidding me?!?!!) and it was suddenly no longer for sale.

I drove home LIVID.

I'm not saying its the status quo on this forum, but if i had a dollar for everytime someone here told me that i was too young, not well established enough (ie house), etc to own an NSX, it wouldve paid for the car itself. Most of you guys on here are great and you know that. Your posts are helpful and insightful, and i do my best to take care with what you have to say because you have more experience in pretty much everything than i do.

But lets be honest with ourselves, we've all seen certain people displaying thier tendency to bash on the "not as fortuante" in here. So lets just try and keep everything positive for everyone.

Daves_X said:
Good morning and I just got done reading the thread on taking the NSX to the dealership to test drive or get special perks. I just wanted to add something to that but have it be a discussion point on how you view us as the owner of an exotic car. Here is my exsperiance and it was one that left a taste in my mouth that almost pushed me away from getting the NSX.

Awhile back I went to NSX get together in normal cloth. I dressed like a beach bumb which is what we in the military call SoCal casual. I was talking to a few people in the group and one of the gentlemen there asked me what I did and I gave him the answer that I give everyone. I fix 40 million dollar airplanes. He said so you work for a major airline or something and then I told him I was a Marine. The look on his face was like you have got to be shitting me. It was like he was offended to own a car that someone like myself could buy. Granted I dont make mad loot as I like ot put it but I make enough to own a nice home and three cars. Two of which are POS. Pieces of crap for those not knowing what POS stands for. I have a ford F150 and a 96 Honda accord. I get no respect what so ever when I roll up to a car dealer with my DOD sticker on the window but when I take the NSX which doesnt have a sticker I get all kinds of love. That same double standered applies to us all no matter what it is we do. So its just not the dealers that take this car as a status simble is some of us with-in our own comunity.

Thank You for your time

I have to agree with Chuck's previous post, and from the Ferrari guys all the way down to the Jaguar and BMW and even I assure you the Miata club- their are always a variable percentage of highly judgemental owners/enthusiasts that retain their vehicles primarily for the elevated social status they feel the vehicle affords them- everything else being truely secondary.

I wouldn't let the circumstances weigh too heavily on you, as inevitably they likely will run through life never truely happy with anything or anyone they have surrounding them.

Back in MY Miramar days Re: Hipocritical with-in our own comunity

Tomcats ruled!
Man do I feel old!
Daves_X said:
Back in my Miramar days I was with the Bats of VMFA(AW)242 for 8 yrs, now I am with MATSG-23 in Beautiful Lemoore. I spent some time in Raider Air as we like to call it.

TomCat said:
A couple of years of your youth living on a steel island.

Id have done it in a second. Tried to fly F18s up here in Canada, but, well, they didn't let me :)

No kidding a non-pilot cannot do specific manouvers when thrown in an IFR simulator. Rediculus criteria.

Every group has its snobs. Forget about them.

I ran with the PCA not long ago at Pahrump and there was a jerk there in a GT3 that said something along the lines of "watch out Bob, there are idiots out here with Hondas". He then ran over my stack of stuff when he left for lunch and didn't bother to tell me or say sorry (another guy came over to let me know who did it).

Then there were a ton of other helpful very cool Porsche guys that actually knew more and drove better then that guy. Most of them liked the NSX and one commented that he owns a Porsche shop but he wants to get one. The owner of the track was there with his Carrera GT and he was super friendly and giving rides... so don't let the one snob get you down.

Three weekends ago when I moved up to the intermediate group I lapped the guy he was talking to who was driving a yellow GT3... in my Honda :)

Every group has their snobs- except the Yugo club, those guys are all REALLY down to earth, but they only like to talk about what they have been planting around the car while it sits in their yard...

I have even encountered snobs amongst the vintage BMX crowd- so don't be too terribly surprised.

As Viperdriver suggests- go to NSXPO. You will get a much better idea of how the core owners group is.

No one has ever looked down on me for my income, and I don't even own an NSX of my own.

Thanks for putting your skills to work to serve the country. There are a lot of people out here who appreciate it.

Philip

Daves_X said:
Beautiful Lemoore.

That is not quite the word I would have used to describe Lemoore for the two days I spent there for water survival.:biggrin:

I drove a 1987 Jeep Wrangler for a year and half till I found the NSX I wanted. No one gave me the time of day when inquiring in person about an NSX.

The funny think is... In 1999, I went to buy an M3 lightweight with 16k from Open Road BMW in Edison in NJ. I walked in with my old girlfriend wearing shorts, t-shirt and my hat (slightly angled) and the sales rep. would even give me the time of day. I asked to speak with the manager and he told me to come back with my parents.

The next day, I went to Morristown BMW...told the sales rep. I wanted to buy and 1999 Estoril Blue M3 with 11k. I told him what I made, showed him my paystub and drove it home the next morning. Sales rep told me...he didnt care how young I was, "if you can afford it, that all I care about".

I went to Open Road with the temp plate still on the my new M3 and found the sales manager and sales rep that they were jerkoffs and just lost a customer. I also told them Id go on every forum I knew of and bash them to everyone. I then asked the sales manager to sell me a set of floormats. I told him since he thought I could afford the actaul car...maybe the mats were in my price range:biggrin: He got insulted, told me he not a parts sales rep and told me to get out.

Never judge a book by a cover.

Lon

i got a good story for you. when i was getting my nsx, it was 2 states away. i drove up one weekend in my civic just to looik at it and argue a price. they didn't give off any bad vibes or anything (probably cause they knew i was serious).

but either way, the next weekend i went to go pick it up..... i couldln't drive the civic, didn't wanna pay for a plane ticket. so i took the damn greyhound and had one of the guys at the dealership pcik me up from the bus station lol. they didn't say anything, but i still wonder what was going through their minds hehe. i'm sure a few other people heard about it....

THAT was some contrast..... greyhound to the dealer, nsx back home. :smile:

Synthesis said:
i got a good story for you. <snip> so i took the damn greyhound and had one of the guys at the dealership pcik me up from the bus station lol. they didn't say anything, but i still wonder what was going through their minds hehe. i'm sure a few other people heard about it. <snip> :smile:
THIS could be among the best posts i've ever read on prime... what a field day they must have had talking about you after you left with the car!

queenlives said:
THIS could be among the best posts i've ever read on prime... what a field day they must have had talking about you after you left with the car!

I flew to Virginia from NJ to buy my NSX. I could only imagine what the real estate developer was thinking when he saw a kid standing there with a check for his NSX. A Prime member to boot:biggrin:

yeah, now imagine waiting in the bus station in atlanta for 5 hours with a check for 27,500 bucks in your bag. :smile:

Back