High Mile Legend Couple, Please take a look

Hello vintageCarMan.

I'm a newbie NSX owner but longtime Legend owner and webmaster at LEGENDtuner.com.

Looking at the photos it appears to be in decent condition. The aftermarket steering wheel cover should be removed to see the condition of the leather wheel underneath. The hood appears to be missing its underside liner. In addition the engine appears to be missing the small plastic cover over the throttle cable linkage to the throttle body. The interior center console appears to be painted over in the photos and the stereo is aftermarket. The interior carpeting looks worn in the photos. The brake calipers have been painted and the intake, exhaust, corner and bumper lights, mesh grille, and wheels are all aftermarket. The rear bumper appears to have been repainted as the lower lip is glossy as compared to the matte lower valence around the rest of the vehicle.

For the higher mileage, apparent condition, and age of the vehicle I would say the asking price is borderline.

Confirm the timing belt/water pump service at 90K and realize that it will be needing it again at 180K. Check the condition of the head gasket by looking for any oil leakage into the coolant tank. Check the top of the radiator for any leaks along the seam where the plastic and metal portions meet. Check the condition of the CV joint boots as well as all of the rubber door seals. Check the functioning of the A/C and look for any binding/resistance in the power windows. For this car I would recommend a prepurchase inspection on a lift by an Acura mechanic. Also get a Carfax or Autocheck history.

ChrisK on these forums is more familiar with Legend coupes (he has owned several) and may be able to provide more input.

Koji pretty much summed it up. I definately would be wondering why the rear end was painted, and it could just be the funny angle of the pictures, but it looks like there could have been front end damage as well because the upper radiator support and latch support seems to look a bit odd, and the radiator itself looks as if it is pushed in or something. Again, it could just be the angle of the camera that makes it look that way, but I would look into since the rear was obviouslt painted for some reason or another.

Motegi,

You were right on and after looking a bit closer, this legend appeared in better condition then before I posted the thread. Although it fit my budget I’m looking for a cleaner ride

ChrisK, I appreciate your input as well.

Gheba_NSX, I found that same accord however, it’s a LX and I would prefer a car with a few more options.

If at all possible, would you check this Legend out?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=212

He’s agreed to $5000. All books, records, no accident and super clean. I told him I would buy it however, he refused to sell it until he found a replacement. I don’t get it? I asked him, if he wasn’t willing to sell it immediately, why did he have it advertised?

Either way, he said I could have it early next week and I feel it’s worth the wait.

Thanks.

BYW, It was almost unbearable watching my NSX drive away last night. Very few people seem to understand the separation anxiety that I’m feeling. I’m still in shock that it’s gone.:(

What about a Coupe 2.2 EX? I have that one, it is full options (excluding leather) and I paid 4000$ with 60k miles and the service done here in Switzerland. In the US the price should be similar or better...

gheba_nsx said:
What about a Coupe 2.2 EX? I have that one, it is full options (excluding leather) and I paid 4000$ with 60k miles and the service done here in Switzerland. In the US the price should be similar or better...

Considering the limited budget I have set, I would prefer at least a V6. I have looked for Accords however they sell fast and I feel that an early legend offers the best bang for the buck. They are reliable, comfortable and are luxurious.

Plus, most people are aware of Honda’s reliability. For this reason the Accords seem to being as much as a clean Legend. The Legends might be more expensive to maintain or repair and I’m ok with that fact.

Let's not forget, my NSX was a daily driver.

What about the rear trans mounts on the Legends? I would check that as well.

vintagecarman said:
If at all possible, would you check this Legend out?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=212

He’s agreed to $5000. All books, records, no accident and super clean. I told him I would buy it however, he refused to sell it until he found a replacement. I don’t get it? I asked him, if he wasn’t willing to sell it immediately, why did he have it advertised?

Either way, he said I could have it early next week and I feel it’s worth the wait.

Thanks.

This sounds like a better car based on the sellers description. However it seems unlikely that the vehicle in the photo is actually that of the vehicle on sale as the logo on the bottom seems to indicate that it is in Boston and the sellers e-mail is at Nova Southeastern Univ in Ft. Lauderdale.

Again I would pull up a carfax and/or autocheck and would encourage a prepurchase inspection by an independent Acura mechanic.

Post more photos of the car if they are available.

I can't tell from the new Legend Sedan on autotrader if it is an L or LS. It is a 93, so that means the listed option of tilt wheel is incorrect. 91-93 only had telescoping wheels, and the electronice tilt and telescope wheel was added in 94. If it is an LS is is a good price, if it is an L it is an average price. Something to note is that with the 93 and lower Sedan you are giving up the TYPE II motor that was in the 93+ Coupe of your first Legend pictiured. That is an extra 30HP that does make a difference.

Motegi said:
This sounds like a better car based on the sellers description. However it seems unlikely that the vehicle in the photo is actually that of the vehicle on sale as the logo on the bottom seems to indicate that it is in Boston and the sellers e-mail is at Nova Southeastern Univ in Ft. Lauderdale.

Again I would pull up a carfax and/or autocheck and would encourage a prepurchase inspection by an independent Acura mechanic.

Post more photos of the car if they are available.

Good eye's!

The picture posted in the add was the same one the dealer used when he purchased it. I told him, I would buy the car and he reserved the right NOT to sell it until he could find a replacement. I thought this was nuts!
If you had a car for sale and had a legitimate offer would you not sell it?
:confused:

ChrisK said:
I can't tell from the new Legend Sedan on autotrader if it is an L or LS. It is a 93, so that means the listed option of tilt wheel is incorrect. 91-93 only had telescoping wheels, and the electronice tilt and telescope wheel was added in 94. If it is an LS is is a good price, if it is an L it is an average price. Something to note is that with the 93 and lower Sedan you are giving up the TYPE II motor that was in the 93+ Coupe of your first Legend pictiured. That is an extra 30HP that does make a difference.

The seller said it is a LS.
Are you saying that I need a buy a 94 or 95LS 4 door to get
the type II motor?

No, you could only get the Type II motor in the 93-95's.

The Type 2 engine wasn't only available in the GS trim level for the 94 and 95 sedans. L, LS, and SE Legend sedans have the Type 1 engine in all years.

Again I would caution against purchasing the vehicle sight unseen and without a PPI. The Legends are relatively reliable but certain mechanical problems can be expensive (head gaskets, radiator leak, etc).

Have the seller e-mail some more photos and post them up on these forums!

vintagecarman said:
the type II motor?
According to the pic. the car is a L model. No Auto Climate Control Panel. The owner is mistaken.

vintagecarman said:
the type II motor?

Yes and no. If you buy a Sedan, the TYPE II 230 HP motor and all the good stuff like 2 piston calipers and TCS plus other things were only offered in the 94-95 GS. They actually created the GS Sedan trim line specifically for these things. However, if you buy a Coupe, the TYPE II 230 HP motor and all the good stuff came out in the 1993 LS Coupes. The 1993-95 L Coupes also have the same motor and trans, but it will have L options and NO TCS. Basically, the GS Sedan is a 93-95 LS Coupe with 4 doors.

Back