HID light projection pattern

Before I get chastized to check the FAQ, which I did and showed some 250 threads in 5 pages ........ I still did not find the answer.

Does anyone have a wide angle view of the light projection pattern of an HID (in an NSX oem lens) without any interference from objects infront or the sides?

I am particularly interested to know if the light ends with some abrupt square or rectangular lines as opposed to a diffused fade away pattern.

And yes I have seen generic HIDs on other cars, but I am specifically looking for an NSX lens projection ............ and if there is comaprison with oem light bulbs even better ............

I don't know about other kits, but the length of the bulb in our kit is the same as factory. The resulting beam pattern is the same as factory. The contrast (sharpness of definition between lit and unlit area) increases quite a bit with our HID kit.

Best regards,
-- Chris

My '02 puts off a stair stepped pattern from the left to the right.
I myself was wondering if this was normal. B'cuz it looks weird.

As for my kit the light pattern is more defined and you can definitly see the beam pattern is outlined when projected against a wal.......its very much like what you see from a theater movie projector a very precise focused beam.

ss_md said:
My '02 puts off a stair stepped pattern from the left to the right.
I myself was wondering if this was normal. B'cuz it looks weird.

The stair stepped pattern analogy is exactly what I was trying to refer to without giving it out ........ ;)

I thought it was the lens, then perhaps it needed adjustment even though it was simple bulb change ..........

Hey Hrant ,
My HIDs do the same thing...I belive I read on a web page that the HIDs do the step pattern due to the way the filament is secured in the bulb itself. So what do you think of the HIDs?

Well, I am hoping you will come to the club meeting tomorrow so we can compare them side by side .......... it's neat.

I drove with them once at night and it takes some time to get used to that abrupt step ladder ....... but the whiteness is really nice ....... now I am researching a white bulb for the dim light ....... I know someone posted somewhere the part Number at Pep Boys ........

What kits are you guys running? i would like to see the difference in my setup than others.... I'm running bulbs off the Mcculloch kits. I noticed that they are tinted blue and suppose to run at 6000K. somehow i don't feel like it really lights up the road significantly. I would like to compare the lighting w/ some other local nsxers.

Joseph is running the SOS kit and I am running the HIDS4Less.

I agree with you the difference has not been that dramatic or that noticeable and that is primarily because the NSX OEM headlight is pretty good IMO. But then, I don't drive at night much .......... ;)

Tobal said:
What kits are you guys running? i would like to see the difference in my setup than others.... I'm running bulbs off the Mcculloch kits. I noticed that they are tinted blue and suppose to run at 6000K. somehow i don't feel like it really lights up the road significantly. I would like to compare the lighting w/ some other local nsxers.
Actually, HIDs are not as dramatic as what those ads try to make you think. I am pretty sure your kit is fine.
Steve

Hrant said:
Well, I am hoping you will come to the club meeting tomorrow so we can compare them side by side .......... it's neat.

I drove with them once at night and it takes some time to get used to that abrupt step ladder ....... but the whiteness is really nice ....... now I am researching a white bulb for the dim light ....... I know someone posted somewhere the part Number at Pep Boys ........
Hi Hrant,
Actually the step ladder thing is not due to the HID but inherent to the projection headlight itself. I compare my 2 NSXs side by side( the 92 has stock, and the 97 has HIDs) and they both have the step ladders. It is just that you now pay more attention and hence noticing it. Then again, ken Sax told me that the left headlight is supposed to be aimed a little lower to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, hence the steps.
Steve

Hi Steve, nice to hear from you .......

With the old bulbs, I know I had a more diffused light when compared to the HID. And yes Ken is right, the left is aimed lowered to avoid blinding on-coming traffic.

As for comparing the bulb colors between HIDS4LESS and SOS, Joseph and I were parked next to each other at the club meeting so the comparison was quite easy. When the lights were on and warmed up, the SOS continued to show a tinge more blue in it than the HIDS4LESS (which appears to be truer to white) but it is not a huge difference, only noticeable because they were next to each other.

Hi Hrant,
The SOS kits use blue tinted bulbs to achieve the higher color temperature. This results in lower lumens compared to the clear HID bulbs. If I do it again, I probably will use the Catz 4300k kit. See you in Sears Point if not Thunderhill.
Cheers,
Steve

I really feel that the Blue tint in the bulb really effects the performance of the bulb. the lumination doesn't seem as bright. I have 6000k bulbs that are tinted blue...I think the tint on my bulbs are more heavier than the ones on the SOS kit. If i didn't remember wrong the ones on the SOS kit are tinted light blue while the ones i have from the Mcculloch kit is tinted with a more deeper blue. But if i had a chance to redo it all over again, i would probably choose something that isn't tinted to get that higher kelvin output too

Back