Hi, I'm new

Originally posted by akira3d:
Hey, that's like me! I grew up a huge Starblazers and Robotech fan but never saw any versions of Gundam until my coworker introduced Stardust Memory to me roughly seven years ago.

Ditto for me too. Small world ain't it? BTW Eric, that's MACROSS to you, NOT ROBO-"TICK" ! The sound of that un-original name concoted by Carl Macek (the guy responsible for putting the 3 different series of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada together to meet minimum U.S. TV syndication and therefore BUTCHERED and tainted the entire storyline of these 3 different series) make my cats cringe!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey Eric, skip watching the Gundam Wing and G Gundam. It's just not worth your time, and the storyline is too juvenile to swallow IMO. If at all possible, try to watch the Gundam series in sequence of events. In other words, get your hands on the 0079 before stardust memory (oops too late for you!
wink.gif
), then go to War in the Pocket and Stardust, then Zeta gundam, and so on.... You'll find the whole storyline more comprehensible, therefore more enjoyable to follow (duh!).

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 08 September 2002).]

Continued from last post:

If you're like me and don't limit yourself to just watching SF Anime, then may I suggest you go to your local rental joint specialized in anime and ask the store clerk about INITIAL D, as this show is directly related to our passion for racing (that is if you don't know about the show already). I'm also happy to announce that Keiichi Tsuchiya, AKA "The Drift King", one of 3 drivers that piloted the NSX GT2 car to LeMans class victory back in 1995, and also the main reviewer/evaluator for BestMotoring Video Magazine (besides Gan San), served as the technical director for this animated show about young men drift racing at night on mountain roads in Japan (almost kinda like the stuffs that we do, only we tend to "drift" unintentionally and with much less control than these guys in the show
wink.gif
) . So go get a copy for yourself if you haven't seen the show yet. I'm willing to bet you won't be dissapointed.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Zanardi 50:
On original/mid-late 80's 1/48 scale Valkyries by Bandai and Takatoku:
Can anyone remember these things were going for as high as over $2000 MINT (as in C-10) on ebay not too long ago, before the re-production of valkyries of recent years, which now runs in the $70-90 range? Never underestimate the power of supply vs. demand...
smile.gif

Hahahaha. That's funny. My brother and I were discussing this very thing this evening. We were remembering how we kept seeing people at the SD Comic Con year after year asking for ~$1500 for used Strike versions of the 1/55 VF-1S. Glad I kept all my old stuff in good shape and never felt compelled to sell them.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

Hi! We're definitely around. I see an NSX arund Sunnyvale at least a couple times a week, and I know there are at least 5 or 6 that aren't part of nsxtasy's count. I suppose we may see each other sometime?

-Ben

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
There are already four members of the NSX Club of America in Sunnyvale. Hyuan would make five (hint, hint). And that doesn't even count the three in Mountain View, the six in Santa Clara, the two in Cupertino, the eighteen in San Jose, or the rest of the 172 members in northern California.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 30 August 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited 08 September 2002).]

Originally posted by sabashioyaki:
Check out the recent Evangelion and Escaflowne series, incredible animation. You can find the DVD sets on Ebay for about $100.

Check out dvdpricesearch.com too. I bought the Evangelion box set new for under $100.

I see several places have the End of Evangelion 'movie' listed even though it's not out until the end of the month.

Zanardi 50:

Only 6 episodes? They just finished introducing all of the characters at that point.
smile.gif

IMHO, the series starts out pretty slow, but picks up the pace as it advances. But things don't start to get _really_ interesting until about halfway through...

Hey Ken C,

Yep you're right, they are getting more rare, thanks to great drivers like myself! Glad you like the avatar, I figure you have to have a sense of humor with this stuff . . .

smile.gif
Kevin

Originally posted by Sketch:
Zanardi 50:

Only 6 episodes? They just finished introducing all of the characters at that point.
smile.gif

IMHO, the series starts out pretty slow, but picks up the pace as it advances. But things don't start to get _really_ interesting until about halfway through...

Maybe I couldn't warm up to a show about aliens--what? again?--invading Earth. Macross and Iczer-One sort of pounded this theme to death. But hey, maybe I should watch the LAST half FIRST and then go back to the rest of the first half later.
wink.gif

Originally posted by FuryNSX:
Originally posted by Zanardi 50:
On original/mid-late 80's 1/48 scale Valkyries by Bandai and Takatoku:
Can anyone remember these things were going for as high as over $2000 MINT (as in C-10) on ebay not too long ago, before the re-production of valkyries of recent years, which now runs in the $70-90 range? Never underestimate the power of supply vs. demand...
smile.gif

Glad I kept all my old stuff in good shape and never felt compelled to sell them.

Randy,
You would've been months ahead of your NSX payment if you DID! Boy I wished I sold my collection when I had the chance, but then again, I didn't have my NSX yet nor was I into cars back then.....Oh well!
biggrin.gif

Luckily, I never felt compelled to sell my old stuff. I just stored them away for a while. Now that I'm older, and got a new house, AND my wife let me set up the down stairs bedroom into a display museum, I'm able to bring all my old stuff and new stuff out and put them up. It's great seeing everyone's reaction when they recognize their old toys and say the usual "Hey, I used to have that toy!! But this one isn't all busted up like mine."

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

Bill, I'm very aware of the origins of the Robotech saga...I just use the American title since that was the way most of us were initially exposed to Macross. I'm still waiting for a faithfully translated to English version (preferably subtitled only) of the Japanese Macross feature film on DVD (my VHS copy - with the original Japanese soundtrack - is nearly worn out).

Story butchering aside, I wasn't at all into the mech or character designs of Southern Cross, and, to me, Mospeada was nowhere near as cool as Macross...though I do have one of those original Cyclone toys (unfortunately, one of my former coworkers cracked a piece when failing to transform it properly) and would have loved to have an Alpha.

HLJ has started taking pre-orders on the 1:48 scale Valkyrie!

As for Gundam, you don't have to tell me which ones to watch and not to watch...my coworker and friend are SERIOUS Gundam fans. They don't recognize Gundam Wing as true Gundam. Stardust Memory is their favorite...that will be the first DVDs I borrow from my coworker. I caught the entire MS08th team when it was on Cartoon Network...great stuff, beautifully done.

Akira3D, I would never have guesed you like anime! Why haven't you used your "special skill" to make a screen saver of a JGTC NSX transforming into a gun toting mech?

Funny you should mention that. I've been building a CG NSX model in 3D Studio MAX for several purposes, one of which will be an anime style animated introduction for my NSX website. Once it is perfected (I had already built one before I got my NSX, but I started over after having the ultimate reference parked in my garage), it won't be hard to modfiy for more amusing purposes. That said, I hadn't thought about making a transforming NSX...hmmmm.

And that reminds me, I want to get that Transformer NSX police car!

As for the ORIGINAL Bandai Macross toys...man, you have NO idea how depressed I was when I started seeing those VF-1S Strike Valkyries topping the $1000 mark on Ebay. I wanted one SO BADLY as a kid, but, back then, I couldn't afford any of them (I think the basic imported Valkyries sold for $50 at the local comic book store...and my mom wasn't about to help me pay that much for a toy). Heck, even badly beat up ones out of the package fetch $800 at Mandarake.

Man, this thread has continued a lot longer than I would have guessed.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 11 September 2002).]

Wow. Quite a few of you ppl here sure like anime and mech, so do I! I've seen the entire series of Evangelion including the movie, Escaflowne, Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam 8th MS Team, Gundam Wing, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, and right now I'm watching G Gundam which is crazy good. I just love Initial D!!! I wish I had a job like Takumi's, hehe. Initial D is by far one of my top favorites. Transformers is the best oldschool cartoon other than Mobile Suit Gundam. I've seen that one small movie where the VW transforms into a mech, btw, that mech's name is bumblebee, hehe. It's real great to know that there's all these anime / mech fans here. I guess I forgot to put my AIM down last time I was here. AIM: Prelude Gundam

Back