Help... :)

Purchase new toy at Michigan past weekend, but i'm in oklahoma

few questions.

car has 68K miles and never had timing belt and water pump change...

1. Can i drive home 1000 miles in two days?

2. Should i purchase round trip tickets?

3. Best way to pay? don't want to travel with cash.

4. Any tips on checking out nsx?

Thanks

what year is the nsx? and i would definitely suggest a round trip ticket if you have not seen this nsx in person yet.

Defiantly purchase round trip tickets or you might purchase the car just because you feel you have to.

As for paying I would get the bulk of the funds in a bank certified check. Make sure the seller is ok releasing the car if you give him a bank check. I would not have the whole amount in a check form because it leaves no room to negotiate the price. If you have say 2k in cash and the car is not what you thought it was you have 2k in room to negotiate the price.

See if a prime member is local to the car and can check it out for you.

Purchase new toy at Michigan past weekend, but i'm in oklahoma

few questions.

car has 68K miles and never had timing belt and water pump change...

1. Can i drive home 1000 miles in two days?

2. Should i purchase round trip tickets?

3. Best way to pay? don't want to travel with cash.

4. Any tips on checking out nsx?

Thanks

1.) Have you never drove 500 miles in one day before? If not, it's not that big a deal. I bought my NSX in Phoenix and drove it home in 2 days. That was 1543 miles one way. I spent about 12 hours a day driving. I guess it depends upon what your tolerance level for driving is. I enjoy driving and had a blast on the trip home stopping in Vegas on the way back to have a night on the town.

2.) You could purchase round trip tickets but I didn't.

3.) Bank draft definately is the best way to pay. Also make sure you travel on a business day so that the seller can deposit the money and confirm that it is good. I know I wouldn't let a car go if I couldn't get my bank to verify the funds were OK.

4) Get it checked out by a reputable dealership BEFORE you head out. Have them do a full inspection including compression and leakdown. Ask for all the service history on the car. If everything turns out as expected then make your offer on the car. If things need to be fixed you have something to negotiate with. You will have to pay about $200 for the inspection but it's worth it if you are serious about buying. I wouldn't buy a plane ticket until after the inspection. On my car the inspection was so good that the mechanics were going to buy it if I didn't pick it up. So I was extremely confident in the car and purchased only a 1 way ticket. If I didn't take it I could always go back and get another 1 way ticket home. No big deal.

As for the timing belt and water pump since you said it was never done, it is best to get it done. 1000 miles is a long trip and you do not want it to break down on the way home and spend more $$$ to have it fixed and towing charges to a shop and time wasted. It is already over the intervals of changing it by milelage and by the year. Have everything done there and you will drive home happy and safe. Good Luck. :smile:

1.) Have you never drove 500 miles in one day before? If not, it's not that big a deal. I bought my NSX in Phoenix and drove it home in 2 days. That was 1543 miles one way. I spent about 12 hours a day driving. I guess it depends upon what your tolerance level for driving is. I enjoy driving and had a blast on the trip home stopping in Vegas on the way back to have a night on the town.

4) Get it checked out by a reputable dealership BEFORE you head out. Have them do a full inspection including compression and leakdown. Ask for all the service history on the car. If everything turns out as expected then make your offer on the car. If things need to be fixed you have something to negotiate with. You will have to pay about $200 for the inspection but it's worth it if you are serious about buying. I wouldn't buy a plane ticket until after the inspection. On my car the inspection was so good that the mechanics were going to buy it if I didn't pick it up. So I was extremely confident in the car and purchased only a 1 way ticket. If I didn't take it I could always go back and get another 1 way ticket home. No big deal.

I don't have problem driving long hours, just not sure i should put that much time and miles on this car without change timing belt and water pump.

good tip.

let me try to get hold of him to take in for inspection.

any member close to Detroit, mi who can check this car out for me?

Thanks

Definitly get round trip ticket (I didn't, a couple of years back, when flying to Vegas to get what was represented, and appeared to be in extensive photos, as a very low mileage concours condition collector car - to make a long story short, in person it looked like a "well used NY taxi"!!:biggrin: My one way ticket, bought ahead of time, was $113, my return ticket was $839.00!:eek: Also, you did not say if the title is clear - if so, confirm that person is prepared to exchange CLEAR title, when coin changes hands - Also good idea to get notarized bill of sale + clear title. 1k miles is a walk in the park - set back and enjoy the ride - assuming PO has proof of current maintenace.

2.) You could purchase round trip tickets but I didn't.

3.) Bank draft definately is the best way to pay. Also make sure you travel on a business day so that the seller can deposit the money and confirm that it is good. I know I wouldn't let a car go if I couldn't get my bank to verify the funds were OK.

Carfax report show Clean Title.

Transmission #SRSM5000113

Ask lot of question about this car history, maintenance records and conditions. he reply

"It's absolutely not in snap ring range. The transmission shifts very tight
and smooth. I have not changed the timing belt; however, my mechanic said it's still good for at least 5-10k mile. I don't have a car fax report at this time,
but I can GUARANTEE it's clean, free of accident, bodyworks or whatsoever. If you have any doubt, you can take this vehicle VIN and check it any time. Thanks"

If you're going pick up the car, I'll only take cash in person. I can pick u
up from the airport. Vehicle history report you can get it from carfax.com. All
services including oil changes were done by me or my friend who is a mechanic. Eveything works on this vehicle including windows regulators(nothing had been touch). The only thing that doesn't work is the passenger side speaker. I don't have the transmission ID number now but i'll email you back with it later today. Thanks."

Definately get a Pre-Purchase Inspection by a reputable Acura Dealer with a NSX Tech. I would also suggest compression check. I had everything done for $300 and threw in a new set of plugs in the process.

The timing belt issue is a tough one. I am tempted to advise getting it done before you bring it home, but its nice to have major work done close to home in case there are any issues later. I would probably drive it and keep a light foot on the accelerator until I could get it done.

Good Luck on your purchase.

Back