Help with Spa Yellow Paint trouble

Anybody know what brand of paint the honda factory uses for 2000 Spa Yellow? My body shop has tried Glassurit and PPG without being able to match the paint well. I have a small 2 inch chip that may result in the entire side of the car needing a repaint just to get a good blend. It seems the pearl is screwing things up. Help!

Yeah, I know all about these headaches. I've been running all over Seattle and no one has even come close to matching the spa yellow (I was trying to do a body kit on my 98' targa) because they are all morons.

The problem really is not in the materials; the problem is in the clear coat, the labor, and the amount of time it takes to do it.
No one wants to touch the car because they know damn right well it would take days for them to get the color right; and for a few hundred bucks it is just not worth it for them to get involved.

However, I can reccomend one person on this planet that I know 100% can match the paint on this car; but he is all the way back in Pennsylvania. So, I have shipped him the part and he is going to ship it back. I trust him because he has been painting fire trucks since he was 5 years old and I have seen him do perfect matches every time on every one of my cars (including a metallic yellow on my 3000GT VR4 that he said was the hardest color to match hands down)

Don't buy into it- it is possible to match paint 100% it is only a question of hiring the right talent to make it happen.

Dupont paints have paint codes for the NSX. They even have the cool Japan spec colors (or most of them, at least). Not saying this is a 100% match, but it's darn close, and it's listed as NSX such-and-such in the book, IIRC.

ravetek is right, the problem is not the materials it is the labor. The key is to go to a really good shop that is as picky as you.

Ok, I'm heading in for the body work/paint work to get this ground effects kit installed- I'll keep everyone posted on the results. I found a really high end body shop and currently they are fixing a yellow 355 spyder so hey now- if it is good enough for that set of wheels I'm sure they can do mine.
I know the owner has a 20K stereo in it so I'm sure it is his baby.

I also got a lot of good feedback on them- and to top it all off their rates are reasonable and they still manage to seem as anal as me when it comes to details.

I'll audit their work and provide updates. The tops of the screws in areas I can't even see better have the same overspray as the stock ones from Japan or you'll hear all about it.

The work consists of installing a Wings West Kit, marga hills piece, comptech agressor rear wing, and perhaps a single scoop hood if I can find one (NSXPO has created parts problems for me because everyone is out of town)... I'm sure this thing will look like a million dollars when it gets done, and I will post tons of pics.

Oh- and by the way the color code on the drivers side door I believe is P-57 (double check yours)it is a dupont tri-coat color. It is in the dupont book as Spa Yellow Pearl.

What this all really means is that it is tricky to get the tint in the clear right; and to compound it yellow is always the hardest color to match anyway. If you don't get a good match in the clear it will come out with a really pronounced green tint to it. We've been through quite a few color swatches thus far.

Even small angles in the car cast a slightly different shadow- even stock for example the front bumper is a slightly different shade from the aluminum hood.

Also, it is not acceptable to let anyone mask in any area that is visible- or otherwise you'll see a line in your clear coat somewhere that will bother you like a door jam or something. The only way to go is to take the whole door apart- which translates into increased labor but any good shop will know this.

Remember what your paying for is talent- which is hard to come by these days since most just want you out the door and a check from your insurance company.

I had my front fender painted about 2 years after I scraped it real bad. The work i had done looks perfect. Here's a recent picture of the fender: http://t-meekins.tripod.com/id317.htm

When I got the car back they gave me the extra paint in case i needed any touch up paint. The extra paint came in 3 bottles.

I'm getting some more paint work done today and when I go in i'll ask what brand of paint they used.

Back