Help with selling my car. How much to ask?

I have a 91 sebring silver 5mt with 68k miles all services up to date. Click on the link with my post below. I haven't had a single reply on my car yet. My question is I'm debating to post it on one paid median. Autotrader, cars.com, or ebaymotors.

Which median is ideal for a car like this?

Also is my asking price above its range, whats your opinion?

Thank you.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114293

Last edited:
The market is very soft right now and you are probably not going get your asking price. Someone just posted that they bought a 1997 NSX-T with 39,700 miles with an asking price of $37,774. That is a tough car to go against in a buyers market.

Good luck. Your car is beautiful.

Here's the link to the new owner's post. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114612

Last edited:
Yes unfortunately cars like these are playthings, and lately there's not much demand for playthings. Your car looks beautiful, and you're lucky sebring silver is usually more in demand... but cars in that mileage range in nice condition are going for quite a bit less - you might have to drop 5-6K in your asking price to get any serious bites. My suggestion is to hold onto it if you can.

from what i've seen here for the recent past, an nsx in the condition that yours is in (early NA1 with low-medium miles with all maintenance up to date and in very good visual condition) would find a good home in the high 20's. unfortunately, a few months back before things really started to tank, you probably could have gotten close to your asking price.

very nice example. if i was in a position to pick one up now, yours would probably be my choice.

Thanks guys for all your insight. I'm going to have to sit down and think about what I want to do. Someone also thought I should just store it away and take it out in the spring where there is a higher demand for this type of car. So its DEC, JAN, FEB, MARCH. 4 Months - dunno.

Someone also thought I should just store it away and take it out in the spring where there is a higher demand for this type of car. So its DEC, JAN, FEB, MARCH. 4 Months - dunno.

Just remember, on January 1, 2009 your car becomes another year older. It's not going to appreciate anymore and the car is getting closer to being 20 years old. At that age, it gets difficult to sell a sports car with which the name doesn't start with an F or L.

I have a 91 sebring silver 5mt with 68k miles all services up to date. Click on the link with my post below. I haven't had a single reply on my car yet. My question is I'm debating to post it on one paid median. Autotrader, cars.com, or ebaymotors.

Which median is ideal for a car like this?

Also is my asking price above its range, whats your opinion?

Thank you.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114293

This car has been religously serviced in Florida. I would say a sound asking price of mid-high 20's. I "was" going to purchase this car for $26K from the original owner(bought Aston) the engine was rebuilt due to harmonic balancer failure and it had been tracked over 40 races as such I purchased a Red one.

Good luck!

All the comments above are certainly valid in today’s economic environment, however, you might want to consider posting it on craigslist.com. To me it's along the same lines as an autotrader.com or cars.com etc., except there is no listing fee. FWIW...I've actually sold 2 vehicles in the last year on Craigslist. Good luck!

I say ask $24,000 FIRM and post this car on Integra and Civic forums. Then people who can afford a Civic Si or an Integra Type R will have the option of owning their dream for about the same price as a pristine ITR or a brand new Civic Si with Navi.

I agree that you should wait till spring to list it and then ask around $29K for it. Best of luck

I have learned time and time again. If you want to sell a car, you have to simply sell it for less than all the other cars. It always works. No matter what car I have had, from S2000's, Civic, to M3's. They sell because of price. When it comes down to it, people will sacrifice color, mileage, previous history, and location for the right price. If you want to sell a car, you can either hope that someone is looking for your exact car, which I doubt because if anyone is going to be "picky" about these cars, they are not going to purchase a 91 in the first place, or you can just sell it cheap and appeal to the bargan hunters.

In today's market, everyone is going to be a bargan hunter. So either ask lower than everyone else in the entire US of A or you're going to have to wait.

I just looked on autotrader and it looks like the 91's are going for anywhere between $30k - $20k. Asking $32k isn't going to get you anywhere. I say ask for $24k and your phone should ring off the hook. You will have the lowest mileage, lowest costing NSX out there. All the other ones have too many miles. People will automatically see yours as "The Bargan" and jump on it. They will have that anxious, excited tone when they call you too. "Like... yea... do you ummm, have that ummmm, NSX? I mean, are you still trying to sell it? Is it gone?" They will be eating out of the palm of your hand then.

WRONG! I could have had any year NSX. I wanted a coupe and I wanted Silver so that limited me to 91-93. I got a super low mileage car (32k miles) and I gladly paid a premium for the color and low mileage. I know many enthusiasts that would do the same. If he's not in an finanical hardship and can hold onto the car, I'd bet he'll get 30k'ish for his car.

nastinupe1 said:
"that someone is looking for your exact car, which I doubt because if anyone is going to be "picky" about these cars, they are not going to purchase a 91 in the first place"

Last edited:
I say ask $24,000 FIRM and post this car on Integra and Civic forums. Then people who can afford a Civic Si or an Integra Type R will have the option of owning their dream for about the same price as a pristine ITR or a brand new Civic Si with Navi.

24K sound "good" for a 91, 150+ K miles nsx ... yes you can buy it for 24K ... but not like the one the OP has it ...
Oscar

Agreed...He probably won't get 32k, but that's his "asking price" which sounds like he's negotiable. If he's hard up for $ I agree, be aggressive with the price but don't be stupid with the price, especially since he has the maint records and the car is up to date....but $24k is walking away from around $5k or more which doesn't make much sense to me. There's plenty of folks with $$ sitting on the sidelines....Just because some kids are on the cusp of owning one of these cars doesn't mean you need to price it for them.

24K sound "good" for a 91, 150+ K miles nsx ... yes you can buy it for 24K ... but not like the one the OP has it ...
Oscar

Here's the realist perspective-if you are asking 32 anyone willing to spend 28 would have already made you an offer. If you haven't even received an offer at this point, think about what that dictates. The odds of a rapid economic recovery are not zero, but they are lower than the continuation of this current slowdown. Your first loss is usually your smallest. Also consider insurance/any maint. you will have to do in the time being. Countless amounts of people pay 1k+ insurance over a 6-12month period just to get less than they could have sold it for when the market was hotter.

The market is an amazing instrument. The odds of you selling your car below "market value" are almost zero. No one here knows the value of your car unless they are willing to back it up with a check. Putting it under 30k will be a big help, most people looking for 91's over 50k miles have no reason to consider anything over 30k, and I don't blame them.

Last edited:
Yeah the NSX is a niche car. It's beautiful and unique, but hell it didn't sell that wellto the general public when new, and it still doesn't. The fanatics will know what you have and appreciate it, but there are not really THAT many of us. A 91 NSX at that price is competing with 3.6 996's that are over 10 years newer with half the mileage - many people (and banks for that matter) will perceive the 911's (and others) as a better deal for the money. You could get an offer tomorrow for 35K, you may not get an offer for 6 months. It's a state of mind, if you want or need to sell it soon, you have to drop the price IMHO.... if you can sit on it and don't need to move it, enjoy the hell out of it and ask what you want for it.

Personally I think NSX owners have been a little spoiled by how well the cars have been holding their value compared to everything else :biggrin:

IMO the NSX has been holding its value well because they aren't nearly as common as other sports cars. The average person doesn't even know they exist, so that explains why they don't sell quickly. You have to wait for a fellow s2k/GSR/Supra/etc. enthusiast to buy it which takes time.

I think the biggest factor right now is that winter is not the most favorable time to sell any sports car. Same thing with a boat...Either wait for the prime season to sell or be willing to accept a much lower price.

IMO the NSX has been holding its value well because they aren't nearly as common as other sports cars. The average person doesn't even know they exist, so that explains why they don't sell quickly. You have to wait for a fellow s2k/GSR/Supra/etc. enthusiast to buy it which takes time.

I think the biggest factor right now is that winter is not the most favorable time to sell any sports car. Same thing with a boat...Either wait for the prime season to sell or be willing to accept a much lower price.

I don't agree. I don't think that it's winter. I believe that it's the price. Price trumps everything else. Winter may affect seasonal buyers, or people who buy a new car and sell it within a year. But for many people, especially a car like this, if a good deal comes along and they have the money, they aren't going to pass up on the opportunity simply because it's cold outside.

I have always been able to sell my cars fast because I know what the market will take and what it won't take. I don't have an emotional tie to my cars so I have no problem parting with them for less than what others will.

I simply take a quick look at a couple of websites, undercut everyone, and watch the offers roll in.

The last car I sold, I had three people look at the car at the same time and argue among themselves over who was going to give me the most money for the car.

Price is the key. $24,000 FIRM. And you won't have to budge on the price because you know and everyone else knows that you have the best deal in north america. You will have a call within 24 hours. I promise you.

... I don't have an emotional tie to my cars so I have no problem parting with them for less than what others will...

That there is the phrase to remember. I was once told that the day I fall in love with a car is the day I have to sell it.

That there is the phrase to remember. I was once told that the day I fall in love with a car is the day I have to sell it.

I take a couple of pics and keep it moving. Too many great cars out there to be stuck with just one. I love being able to compare and contrast the different cars I drive. I don't look at a car purchase as an investment, I don't watch the odometer, and I make sure that I drive my car every week. Life is too short to garage a car. That's an oxymoron if you ask me. I love going on test drives and I love window shopping. I love reading car mags, I love driving in the mountains on a fall day. I love cars period.

With that said. Dude, get your next dream car! Times a wasting! Are you going to waste 6 months of your life waiting to sell your car or are you going to take the bull by the horns and move on?

Last edited:
Dear Hhoang3,

I agree with many of the comments already shared. Here's my $0.02. Although you included some good detailed info, you made no mention about a few key things...

• Title- clean, Carfax, no accidents, etc.
  • Body- describe condition in detail
  • Paint- describe condition in detail
  • Condition/Age of battery, tires, and other routine maintenance items
As to price, I think you should lower your asking price to somewhere in the high $20Ks followed by words like "must sell" and "all reasonable offers considered". Many people are lazy and don't even want to bother with seeing if/how much lower you will go with your asking price. Human nature. You don't need to give your car away, but do need to price it more agressively with the right key info listed. Good luck!

Dear Hhoang3,

I agree with many of the comments already shared. Here's my $0.02. Although you included some good detailed info, you made no mention about a few key things...

• Title- clean, Carfax, no accidents, etc.
  • Body- describe condition in detail
  • Paint- describe condition in detail
  • Condition/Age of battery, tires, and other routine maintenance items
As to price, I think you should lower your asking price to somewhere in the high $20Ks followed by words like "must sell" and "all reasonable offers considered". Many people are lazy and don't even want to bother with seeing if/how much lower you will go with your asking price. Human nature. You don't need to give your car away, but do need to price it more agressively with the right key info listed. Good luck!

Very true. Additional words make people feel like you really know your car. When you look at the ad's on Dupont, people will write up an entire page about the car. They talk about how the car was taken care of, where it was taken care of, dates of repairs, how their relatives migrated to the states, etc.

I love guys like nastinupe who drop their pants when selling cars.:rolleyes:

I'm definately buying my next one from you buddy!

OP - keep your car until spring if you can and then re-list it at a lower price but not by much. Patience is key when selling a car such as the NSX. Let the people with NSX's that "need" the money sell out at lower prices and then list yours in the spring when those people will have been weeded out.

Back