Help with reading CEL blink codes

My CEL and TCS light came on last night when merging onto the freeway. :(

I pulled the clock fuse for several minutes in hopes that it would reset. It clears, but after I start the engine, it comes right back on. The car runs just fine, so I'm assuming that it's the O2 sensor.

I jumped the service connector and get 4 long lights, followed by 2 short lights. I want to confirm if I am reading this correctly before I buy the part. This is Code 42, correct? So that would be this:

Rear Primary HO2S Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

36532-PBY-J01 SENSOR, RR. OXYGEN PRIMARY

Is that the correct part number?

How about NGK/NTK Oxygen Sensors? NTK 24587, would that be a good replacement and is that the correct part number? Should I buy & replace more than one at a time if I don't replace an O2 sensor straight from Honda?

Thanks in advance. This was so much easier on an OBDI car! =)

--Conrad

This is the O2 sensor that I bought for my '91 NSX. It is a direct fit. The plugs fit exactly. You do not need to cut your old ones and connect wires like other O2 sensors.

NTK Oxygen Sensors 24172 $51.

The NTK/NGK O2 sensors were actually cheaper at www.summitracing.com when you factor in shipping and handling. The other site many people go for O2 sensors is sparkplugs.com (but you will have to pay CA sales tax).

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908396+4294907534+4294902385+115&autoview=sku

I would replace both of them while your at it. It's only another $50 bucks for the other O2 sensor.

If you want to just test to see if O2 sensors are you problem, I have an extra used set you can borrow. It has only 500 miles on them. I replaced my O2 sensors when I had a check engine light, but it turn out to be from a bad fuel pump instead. After I put on the new O2 sensor, I looked through my service documents and found out the previous owner just put new ones in.

You will need an 02 sensor wrench socket, if you don't already have one. You can borrow them free from Autozone. (Actually you just pay for it and they return your money when you return it. There Loan-A-Tool program).

I have the O2 tool now from Autozone if you want to stop by to change out your O2 sensor at my house. I live in Scripps Ranch about a 2 miles from Randy's house.

-Ethan

Last edited:
Hi Ethan,

Yes, the TCS light comes on shortly after the CEL lights up.

I have an OBDII car so my car has four O2 Sensors. I need to know which one it is. I was hoping someone here could help me figure out which one it is. I believe I have the correct one but I want to double-check before I order it.

I also want to make sure I read the CEL blink codes correctly. If I don't get a response I'll drive down to the parts store and use their scan tool so I can get the specific P code error.

Thanks in advance!

Forget about the TCS light, just fix the CEL, all will be fine:).

Regards,
LarryB

Oh sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you mentioned that you had an OBD1 car.

Don't go to Autozone to borrow the scan tool. They don't lend them out anymore in CA. Something about repair shops complaining about it to make them change their policy.

Pep Boys will do a free scan for you though.

Harbor Freight has the scan tool on sale right now for $40.

Good Luck.

I have an OBDII car so my car has four O2 Sensors. I need to know which one it is.

The code you describe is the rear bank (Cyl 1,2 3), sensor BEFORE The cat.

No need for a ODBII Scanner, you have the code already:)

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Thanks Larry!

Cool, so I read the blink codes correctly. =)

So #10 it is. :)

Thanks!

13sl00_e0401.gif

Back