Help With IPOD Install

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about hooking up my IPOD Nano to my stereo. I have a 92 NSX with factory head unit and factory CD changer (mounted in the trunk).

I have spent hours reading the threads posted by the members and have decided to purchase the Harmon Kardon Drive And Play. What I would like to do is to keep the Smartenna functional and keep my CD changer. I know without the Harmon Kardon device, my plan will work by buying the Blitzsafe HON/M-Link1 V1.D, but I am not sure if Blitzsafe is the right CD changer interface for me to use at this point.

Please see this:

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/diagram.aspx

I want to use the line out cable (3.5mm audio line output) and not the wired FM transmitter. The diagram is telling me to get a third party CD changer interface. I am very confused as to what CD changer interface to get at this point.

I looked at the Blitzsafe product information and can arrive at a conclusion.

Please help and I appreciate any feedbacks that you might have.

Thanks

If you are going to get the Blitzsafe why would you need the Harmon Kardon? And vice versa. They seem to somewhat overlap in purpose.

Also I don't think your Smartenna will be functional after the Harmon Kardon is installed.

Basically if you want to keep the factory CD changer and the Smartenna with your iPod then you probably just need to follow the ongoing trials and tribulations of the Blitzsafe pioneers.

If the purpose of the HK piece is just to have a display and controller for the iPod then I ask why not just use the iPod itself rather than have to mount 2 separate items to the console (not to mention the added expense of the HK device itself). Are the iPods (especially the newer black Nano and Video models) that much of an eyesore? The HK display unit really isn't much in the way of good looks...

One thing that someone really needs to try is to use the USA*Spec aux adapter (click here for more info) in the trunk with the Smartenna to see if the Smartenna still functions. It is quite plausible that it will (and with CircuitCity's no questions asked return policy - low risk and worth a try) Also by going this route if you absolutely must have a CD changer as well you could purchase a 3rd party CD changer with RCA outs and plug it into the USA*Spec in addition to the iPod (the USA*Spec has 2 separate inputs!). I would think that this method would be just as functional as the HK+Blitzsafe, would be MUCH less expensive, and easier to operate. Not to mention the newer CD changers may be faster and have greater CD capacity than the old factory unit.

Motegi said:
If you are going to get the Blitzsafe why would you need the Harmon Kardon? And vice versa. They seem to somewhat overlap in purpose.

Also I don't think your Smartenna will be functional after the Harmon Kardon is installed.

Basically if you want to keep the factory CD changer and the Smartenna with your iPod then you probably just need to follow the ongoing trials and tribulations of the Blitzsafe pioneers.

If the purpose of the HK piece is just to have a display and controller for the iPod then I ask why not just use the iPod itself rather than have to mount 2 separate items to the console (not to mention the added expense of the HK device itself). Are the iPods (especially the newer black Nano and Video models) that much of an eyesore? The HK display unit really isn't much in the way of good looks...

One thing that someone really needs to try is to use the USA*Spec aux adapter (click here for more info) in the trunk with the Smartenna to see if the Smartenna still functions. It is quite plausible that it will (and with CircuitCity's no questions asked return policy - low risk and worth a try) Also by going this route if you absolutely must have a CD changer as well you could purchase a 3rd party CD changer with RCA outs and plug it into the USA*Spec in addition to the iPod (the USA*Spec has 2 separate inputs!). I would think that this method would be just as functional as the HK+Blitzsafe, would be MUCH less expensive, and easier to operate. Not to mention the newer CD changers may be faster and have greater CD capacity than the old factory unit.

Thanks for your comment. You do have a good point. I just thought that it might look really cool having some high-tech toy mounted on my dash. I have 30 days to decided if I want to keep it or not. So, I am just doing some research and testing to see exactly what Karmon Hardon has to offer.

Motegi said:
.... .... Also by going this route if you absolutely must have a CD changer as well you could purchase a 3rd party CD changer with RCA outs and plug it into the USA*Spec in addition to the iPod (the USA*Spec has 2 separate inputs!). I would think that this method would be just as functional as the HK+Blitzsafe, would be MUCH less expensive, and easier to operate. Not to mention the newer CD changers may be faster and have greater CD capacity than the old factory unit.
And you will control the changer ......... how?
If you want the combination of a CD changer & the OEM head there is NOTHING more functional than the Alpine which is controlled directly from the head unit. The Blitzsafe has its warts but is still by a long way the best & actually ONLY way to utilize a CD changer & an auxiliary device.

D'Ecosse:

I think you missed my earlier comment in the same reply:

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I was only suggesting that if he indeed wanted to use the HK controller in conjunction with a changer then USA*Spec may be an option. True, he would need a display and remote for the 3rd party changer. But there are many advantages to having a CD changer with a 15+ year newer design...

NSXROC said:
Thanks for your comment. You do have a good point. I just thought that it might look really cool having some high-tech toy mounted on my dash. I have 30 days to decided if I want to keep it or not. So, I am just doing some research and testing to see exactly what Karmon Hardon has to offer.

And an iPod would not be a high-tech toy on the dash?...

I like to display videos and photos on mine for the passenger...

Motegi said:
D'Ecosse:

I think you missed my earlier comment in the same reply: .....

No ........ I didn't. I was responding directly only to your alternative suggestion of the third party changer (which is what I quoted).
As to the "15 year newer design" comment, sure .... but you can also have this with the latest Alpine changer which is directly interfaced once again.

For me, I'd rather (& obviously did!) get rid of the OEM head which is the biggest handicap to a much better end result anyway! Everything is just a compromise in trying to work around that.

Back