Help with fraud in Toronto?

Fellow NSXrs. This is a long shot, but I'll describe my situation.
I found a '97 Viper RT/10 Venom 600 on Ebay about 1.5 weeks ago. I contacted the seller, Keith Walker at Elite Auto Center, by phone and discussed the car in detail. He sent me additional photos. I ran a Carfax that was clean. We agreed upon a price and I wired him a deposit. I spoke with him on the phone a week ago on Friday. He confirmed that he had received funds. He then said the car would be here on Monday. Well, this is where the bad news comes. No car on Monday. I give him the benefit of the doubt......try to call. I spoke with his secretary. She said she would relay the message and he would call me. I've called no fewer than 5 times per day and have not been able to reach anyone since Tuesday. The mailbox on the answering service is full. I've contacted the local authorities and they said they will try to check into it. I will call the attorney general office on Monday (they are closed today). My bank was unable to recall the wire transfer. I guess I am looking to see if anyone in the Toronto area can shed some light on the situation? I have all of the documentation--bill of sale, wire transfer info, etc. Here is a link to the original post on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1865953012&rd=1
Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Ben
'91 r/b TT

The bidding had gotten to $4x,xxx but if you click on the bid history, the auction was closed and all bids were retracted. This is the standard procedure when an auction is ended early when an item is no longer available for sale. The $100 was the opening bid at the beginning of the auction.

Hmmmm...

I guess I would be on the next plane to Toronto with all my paperwork.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

It may come to that; however, I fear that a flight to Toronto may be a bit premature if I arrive to find an empty office building or local authorities that have yet to begin a formal investigation.

Originally posted by beckertb:
The bidding had gotten to $4x,xxx but if you click on the bid history, the auction was closed and all bids were retracted. This is the standard procedure when an auction is ended early when an item is no longer available for sale. The $100 was the opening bid at the beginning of the auction.

If you have made the wire transfer, why your bank wasn't able to show? What kind of paperwork do you have. Since the bids have been retracted, there is no contract from ebay. The only contract is your paper work and your bank documents. If you have sufficient evidence of your contract, a trip to toronto will be the best way to go.

But I think a lot of dealers will post on ebay before they have the car in their lot. Most dealers have credit line with the auto auction companies or auto wholesalers. The dealer might have sold the viper to you before he pick up the car from the wholesaler.

In regards to documentation, I have a purchase agreement including description of car with VIN # on Elite's letter head, wire transfer instructions from Elite, receipt of funds from my bank to TD Trust of Canada for the disclosed account, my original wire transfer documentation, etc. The paper trail is quite thick. In regards to Ebay, they are not at all liable, as purchasing something outside of an ebay transaction removes them from the loop.

I think you will get the viper, just the matter of time. Call the dealer again and give him more pressure.

[This message has been edited by nsx2000 (edited 19 October 2002).]

ok, i just looked at his ebay feedback. The seller has only 4 feedbacks and 3 were long long time ago and 1 from a sunglass ebayer (maybe his friend). I would either call your bank, call your friends in toronto and buy a plane ticket to go to toronto to check things out.

Your case don't look too good.

Is there some one who is brokering this car into the us? Who is shipping it. By the time you arrange some one to ship and broker it then clear customs it could be an easy two weeks or so.

I do not know who is supposed to be brokering/shipping the car. Heck, if I could reach the sellers to find out that info, I would be elated.

I put a 20% deposit down. I could have had a heck of a party.........or built the motor in the NSX for more boost......

I do not know who is supposed to be brokering/shipping the car. Heck, if I could reach the sellers to find out that info, I would be elated.

I put a 20% deposit down. I could have had a heck of a party.........or built the motor in the NSX for more boost......

so you lost atleast 10k dollars...
i feel for you man... i would wait about 1 more week then fly up there and kick some A$$

did the contract stated the delivery date? and refundable deposit after specific date? I know this will be hard, but there are some people out there do steal other people's money for living. The only thing this guy invested was a 4 feedback ebay account. Even if you can track down this guy, he can legally put you on hold for a year or so. It can take you a lot of time and traveling and attorney fee to fight your deposit back.

I hope I am wrong about this. I wish you the best of luck on the viper.

check the seller's account. There are 7 people are dealing with him. and 7 of them are bid closed. The best thing for you to do is to private message to each and everyone in his account. Try see if there are anybody really bought something from him. If he turns out to be a crook, report that to ebay immediatly. He does look like a crook. Most of his items are very high price items, he can live a good life just by cheating the deposit. You can still be able to stop this guy from letting his other buyer know.

I would think that there is someone on the board from Toronto who might be able to help. I delivered my NSX wheels there to a buyer so he could avoid paying duty. Maybe posting on the general forum would help.

Tim

That is SO terrible.

Doesn't the bank put a temporary hold on the wire transfer, waiting for the final go-ahead from you once you check the car out?

Seems like common sense for banks to do that.

How is the status? Are you in Toronto now? please keep us updated.

Oh my..they are the same car and the same pictures. And Autoforum wants $99,900 for it, not 4X,XXX as you have stated.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Canadian vs. US currency maybe?

It is interesting to note that on the Ebay listing the photo of the rear of the car conveniently "erases" the Autoforum license plate frame that is seen on the Autoforum site.

Back