Help with buying my 1st nsx

I would like some input in buying a NSX. I expect mileage of the car I buy will be around 60k miles. Some of the questions I have include:

1. are there any years that I should avoid? for ex, did the cars (in 91 and 92) have unique problems , for ex a faulty trans

2. what issue were typical to these cars that I should look out for?

3. what does a new clutch sell for?

4. i note reference to wp and tp in some of the posts mentioning issues. what issues are theses.

5. anyone know of a nice car for sale here in san diego?

Thanks, Gary

Welcome. Everything you're asking has been asked & answered hundreds of times over many years. Start reading & scrolling down in the owner's forum & prospective owners forum. Read the wiki (red bar at top of page, left end of bar). And use the search to find posts on particular topics.

TB = timing belt, WP= water pump

Last edited:
Gary, welcome to Prime. Read these links and it will give you a good start.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1461490&postcount=8

Edit: To answer your specific questions:

1. Certain 91-92 have a bad transmission case. This is known as the "snap ring" problem. The snap ring failure is limited to transmission numbers J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978. Look here for more info. This is about the only major issue with the NSX.

2. The above links will give you most of the common problems. Also, the climate control unit and window regulators are common problems.

3. A new 91-96 clutch is $1,700 and the release bearing is $200. A new 97-05 clutch is $2,400 and the release bearing is $200.

4. Already answered. :)

5. Look here.

Last edited:
Gary welcome to NSX Prime!

At least you are not one of those fools who thinks their first NSX should be an imported RHD model...thanks for that! See this link for my sarcasm of today:

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152518

Your first question eludes to the infamous "Snap Ring" failures noted on specific transmission numbers (my present NSX is one of them but hasn't failed nor shows any symptoms). Search the WIKI section of NSX Prime shown above on the menu toolbar and within you'll find lots of informative info and FAQ's. :smile:

Back