HELP!! To redline or not to redline???

To all fellow NSXers and sports car fanatics.

Q1. Anyone out there that has never brought your NSX up to redline or even close to it?
Follow up Q: If yes, why not?

I have a friend who owns a reputable sports car (similar power and performance to NSX) that is also NA with a high rpm redline. Some of my friends and I are trying to convince him to enjoy the potential of the car. Otherwise, why spend the extra money just for the badge??? The lower model would do just fine for a lot less money.

We know the "whatever you buy with your money is your business" motto, but sometimes we just feel that he should enjoy the car up to its potential.

Do some of you think that it's ok to just spend top $$ for a car and get satisfied by watching it and not really driving it to its potential???

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Have fun and no worries, first of all the nsx has a rev limiter so you cant hurt the engine. I asked the same question to the service manager at Acura of Brookfield, John Vasos, and he said its ok to redline because and he said it causes no damage to the engine he also said that is what is was built for. So enjoy life above 5000 rpms.

Q2 i think its ok to do whatever someone wants to do to their car or nsx, as long as they dont paint it like a hand bag.

[This message has been edited by cpmoran (edited 21 January 2003).]

Its ok to redline...if the OIL temp AND the water temp is at normal temp....

BTW NSX do not have a oil temp display so the best way is to wait a few more min. after the water temp is normal before 'kicking it'

Too many owners redline when the water is warm but before the oil is warm I would venture to say.

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

I think it was Woodwork at the 99 NSXPO said we could keep it at the rev limiter all day if we want. I rely on that information at the track, when an up-shift right before a braking zone would be a waste.

Ted
stock 5 spd

Haha! I know which friend you are talking about...

Tell him to go to www.bmwfilms.com and watch a few clips!
biggrin.gif

The redline by definition is the maximun allowable safe RPM. Besides, there is a fuel cutoff. I would not drive around in 1st or 2nd gear, but the occasional trip to the redline will not hurt it. Occasional = daily. Besides, why do you think I called myself 9000RPMan!

I agree with Auraraptor that it's probably best to wait until the engine is warmed up before revving to redline territory.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
I agree with Auraraptor that it's probably best to wait until the engine is warmed up before revving to redline territory.

and i agree with Phoensx... that's where most engine damage occurs. it's it great that we all agree about something for a change?
wink.gif

My car accelerates so rapidly that I bump up against the rev limiter quite frequently in first gear and almost as much in second gear.

I think we're missing the original question - is it "OK" to purchase a high performance car and not use it's full potential. To which I say YES!! I remember a Ferrari F40 I saw displayed in a living room once. That's using none of the car's on-the-road performance but it's still a beautiful display and a fine use of the vehicle. Whatever floats your boat ....

Ok...I enjoyed everyone's input except now I know that only Soichiro-san seems to get the question.

Let me just let the cat out of the bag. He owns an M3 but is afraid to go to redline because he says the engine is "too" fragile due to the many engine failures in the earlier models. His is a 2002 SMG which is almost impossible for engine failure since the computer matches the revs for you and I assume there is some kind of limiter.

Now going back to Soichiro-san's comment about the usage. In the case of a rare exotic...heck I would have one in my living room for show if financial situation allows, but we're talking about something that is mass produced. Going back to my original comment, if the driver never goes above 5k, why not just buy the 330Ci. The body may look different and options may not be as impressive, but I say the performance out of the car would be similar. Why an extra $20k for the badge?

Do I smell fear or just a design flaw that's prohibiting fun driving.....

Now let the comments begin.....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

[This message has been edited by Blue Knight (edited 22 January 2003).]

Originally posted by Blue Knight:
He owns an M3 but is afraid to go to redline because he says the engine is "too" fragile due to the many engine failures in the earlier models. His is a 2002 SMG which is almost impossible for engine failure since the computer matches the revs for you and I assume there is some kind of limiter.

Some of the engine failures have occurred in SMG versions. For more information click here.

I know if I owned an M3, I would try and blow up the engine so they would swap it with one that doesn't have the problem.

I had heard that they fixed the problem on newer cars so I would do everything I could to get the update one way or another!

Originally posted by Carguy!:
I know if I owned an M3, I would try and blow up the engine so they would swap it with one that doesn't have the problem.

I had heard that they fixed the problem on newer cars so I would do everything I could to get the update one way or another!

My thoughts exactly. I figure if the car does indeed have this problem, I rather have it surface as early as possible instead of showing up after the warranty expires. My friend's M3 did get the standard warranty upgrade to cover the possible engine failure. However, at his rate of driving (less than 2k since new about a few months ago), I don't know if he'll see the failure anytime soon if it exists.....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

i take my car to 8000 rpm many many times....

its sometimes is better for the engine to burn off excess lubs and dirt.

my engine is running perfect and its a 91 with 90,000 miles.

so go ahead and enjoy the powerband with vtec all the way to redline!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Hans:
I think this car's ability to maintain hi revs reliably is a big reason many of us own this car.

Agreed. Thanks to my NSX I now view the 6k rpm redline in my daily driver as a deficiency
frown.gif

Ok...I enjoyed everyone's input except now I know that only Soichiro-san seems to get the question.

Let me just let the cat out of the bag. He owns an M3 but is afraid to go to redline because he says the engine is "too" fragile due to the many engine failures in the earlier models. His is a 2002 SMG which is almost impossible for engine failure since the computer matches the revs for you and I assume there is some kind of limiter.

Now going back to Soichiro-san's comment about the usage. In the case of a rare exotic...heck I would have one in my living room for show if financial situation allows, but we're talking about something that is mass produced. Going back to my original comment, if the driver never goes above 5k, why not just buy the 330Ci. The body may look different and options may not be as impressive, but I say the performance out of the car would be similar. Why an extra $20k for the badge?

Do I smell fear or just a design flaw that's prohibiting fun driving.....

Now let the comments begin.....

Check your first reply i think I understood what you were asking.

For those of us in this world that drives a VTEC-engine:
Life BEGINS at 6000 rpms.

You definetly do not have a supercar if worries starts at 6000......

------------------
Have a Honda-experience every day!

Jon
'91 NSX for summer & '97 CR-V for winter

Originally posted by project13nsx:
i take my car to 8000 rpm many many times....
its sometimes is better for the engine to burn off excess lubs and dirt.

Originally posted by NeoNSX:
nsxtasy... is that true?

It's good to bring the engine up to normal operating temperature, but I think it's to get rid of moisture and such rather than dirt. And you don't need to rev to 8000 RPM to reach normal operating temperature.

Regular oil changes get rid of dirt in the engine. Excess oil (lubs?) shouldn't be there in the first place.

Indeed life starts at 6000rpm. Before I owned the S2000, I was fully prepared to rev the heck out of it the minute after my 600 mile suggested break in period. It doesn't go into rocket mode under 6k. Life would be a drag otherwise. I need the adrenaline rush and VR00MMM......to help me stablize.

8000rpm, you are right. With our group drives, the person that stays below 6k rpm would be left behind 5 minutes into the drive. Is that why some people never go on group drives??

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

[This message has been edited by Blue Knight (edited 23 January 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Blue Knight (edited 23 January 2003).]

With our group drives, the person that stays below 6k rpm would be left behind 5 minutes into the drive. Is that why some people never go on group drives??

No. The reason that some people never go on group drives is that group drives are not supposed to be races. If you are accelerating hard enough to lose other drivers on your drives, then you are driving too fast for public roads, and sooner or later someone in your group is likely to wind up in the ditch (or worse). The purpose of group drives is not to scare other drivers out of participating in them. Keep the hard driving on the racetrack where it belongs.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 23 January 2003).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
No. The reason that some people never go on group drives is that group drives are not supposed to be races. If you are accelerating hard enough to lose other drivers on your drives, then you are driving too fast for public roads, and sooner or later someone in your group is likely to wind up in the ditch (or worse). The purpose of group drives is not to scare other drivers out of participating in them. Keep the hard driving on the racetrack where it belongs.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 23 January 2003).]

If that was the case, then I guess group drive days are over for our group......I remember the days when I had to keep focused just to see the tail lights of the guy in front of me. I'm sure one day we'll all come to our senses and drive on the track....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Back