• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help, NSX won't start. Relay? Starter?

Car left me stranded. Ran fine. Shut it off, turn key, lights come on, fuel pump runs but nothing when turning to key. Starter does not engage.
I checked fuses and everything looks fine. No prior symptoms. I tried to wiggle the key, turn on 20 times in a row. Tried again in 45 mintues and it fired up.
Next day, starter wont engage. Otherwise engine runs like a top! I replaced the main relay about 10 years ago with similar symptoms. Could it be the starter solenoid?

Thanks in advance!

Is there a click when you try to turn the engine over?I would check: Battery, ignition switch, and lastly starter. I had the same issue last year and the mechanic determined it to be the starter. It was on and off- sometimes it would start fine and sometimes I would just get clicking when trying to turn the engine over.

Main relay again? Did you give the panel covering the relay a bit of a whack? I bought a new main relay 6 years ago when I got my car. I was just thinking recently, that I should probably keep it in the car now. Could be the ignition switch also, as mentioned.

Ignition switch you can check pretty easily if you know where to look. Mine was corroded and had to be cleaned with some rubbing alcohol. Just remove the knee bolster under the dash and look for the part. There is a thread on here which already talks about how to clean it.

The main FI relay will not prevent the starter motor from engaging, so your problem is not the main relay. Besides, your fuel pump is priming which is a definite indication that your main relay is just fine.

My vote for the likely candidate would line up with furinax's comments - the ignition switch. Other things can cause the starter motor to fail to operate intermittently including a failing starter solenoid and problems with the security system. Hope that its the ignition switch because those other two are more hassle and more $.

The infamous clutch interlock switch button will also cause the starter to become inoperative. However, once it drops out of place you are permanently dead in the water until it is replaced. There will be no "Tried again in 45 mintues and it fired up".

I could push start mine when the clutch switch went out.

Not too hard to do if you have somebody to push the car and the driver can pop the clutch. Much trickier to do if you are by yourself on a level surface. It would take a fair amount of dexterity to push the car, jump in, depress the clutch, engage a gear and pop the clutch before the car stopped rolling. A video showing how that is done would be entertaining. Works if you always park at the top of a slope and can rely on gravity.

If you want to put together a minimalist plan for when the clutch actuation button drops out or the ignition switch fails in the start position, carry a 2 - 3 meter length of #10 or #12 insulated stranded wire. With the ignition key in the run position, use the wire to jump between the battery boost terminal in the engine compartment relay box and the starter solenoid connection. Should cause the solenoid to engage and the starter motor to start cranking and the motor should start. Experienced tow truck drivers who have dealt with Honda / Acura vehicles have this trick in their repertoire; but, they use a proper jump starter switch - and charge appropriately! You can also carry the paperclip to by-pass the clutch interlock switch; but, the wire 'jump start' will be faster since you don't have to go grovelling around under the dash.

Last edited:
I just asked the guy at the Home Depot to give me a push. Car started went home and adjusted the length on the switch and kept driving it until the new stopper thing arrived. Not much drama.

Back