HELP! My 1991 JDM Auto Won't Start

I was reversing my auto nsx when the engine died on me. When i tried to restart it, the engine cranked but won't start.

I checked the battery, it is good. My lights and horns are working.
I checked the fuse box in the engine compartment and under the front hood and found no blown fuse.

I have searched prime and found out that there is another fuse box under the dash in the passenger side footwell (for LHD cars). I tried searching for it but couldnt find it. My nsx is a RHD, can someone tell me where is the elusive third fuse box?

When i turn my ignition key, only the brake and another warning lights at the right hand side of the dash board lights up. Usually, all the lights come on for a couple of seconds. What could be the cause of my car's problem?

Thank you all in advance.

I found the elusive fuse box under the glove compartment and checked all the fuses. No luck, all the fuses are in order.

My usual mechanic will be busy for the next few days. So he can't come over to my place to diagnose the problem.

I am gonna lose sleep over this over the next few days unless prime members can help me solve the problem.

Thanks.

Main relay is behind the panel under rear window, in the center. pull the panel, turn the key on and wiggle the connector going into it, you should hear it click when you wiggle connector, and when you turn the key on and off. if this works(car starts) you can either replace relay or take it apart an resolder the connections inside. try to search forum under main relay. hope this helps

Thanks guys. I am literally losing sleep over this matter.

I have been reading up threads on main relay on prime. It is 1.30 am over where i am now. I will get the main relay first thing in the morning and hopefully, get it replaced tomorrow.

I think you car is upset that she's missing her clutch.:biggrin:She's mad at you.

Ship your car to Jon Martin for repair. heheheheh :tongue:

Nah but good luck on your car. =)

What have you done to your car lately?

Checkout the two common culprit first:
1. main relay
2. iginition switch.

Good luck.

Henry.

I just bought the main relay. However, the part number seems to be different from that posted on prime. It is 39400-SPO-013 (RZ-0105).

Can someone confirm that it is safe to replace my old main relay with this?

Thanks

nsxinkl said:
I just bought the main relay. However, the part number seems to be different from that posted on prime. It is 39400-SPO-013 (RZ-0105).

Can someone confirm that it is safe to replace my old main relay with this?

Thanks

Hi Shaw,

I am using this exact relay for my X, i have no problem with it. You do need to replace the mounting bracket.

Keno

I installed my main relay and my car engine started. Unfortunately my EPS is not working now!

My EPS and TCS lights are on and my speedometer and tachometer are not working too. What happened? I tried to reset the system by disconnecting the battery. But it didn't work. Help!!!!!

I tried resetting by removing the clock fuse but it didn't work.

When i turn my ignition key to on position, the lights on the dashboard all come on and then i hear a clicking sound made by the main relay and all the lights go off except for 2 (brake light on the extreme left and another light on the extreme right, cel if i am not mistaken). After i crank start the engine, the only light that comes on now is the EPS light and when i start driving it the TCS light comes on and the speedo and tacho meters do not work.

Is it caused by a faulty main relay? (Bear in mind that the main relay that i got has a different part number but ek4hatch confirmed that it works on his nsx)

Would replacing the speed sensor solve my problem? Jin 1976 had a similar problem (eps light on and speedo and tacho meters not working) which was solved by replacing the speed sensor.

HELP!!

Thanks

Last edited:
nsxinkl,

Try to retrieve the problem code from the passenger footwell. It seems like the problem would be the speed sensor. It's cheap to replace. Confirm first by getting the problem codes.

nsxinkl said:
I installed my main relay and my car engine started. Unfortunately my EPS is not working now!

My EPS and TCS lights are on and my speedometer and tachometer are not working too. What happened? I tried to reset the system by disconnecting the battery. But it didn't work. Help!!!!!

I tried resetting by removing the clock fuse but it didn't work.

When i turn my ignition key to on position, the lights on the dashboard all come on and then i hear a clicking sound made by the main relay and all the lights go off except for 2 (brake light on the extreme left and another light on the extreme right, cel if i am not mistaken). After i crank start the engine, the only light that comes on now is the EPS light and when i start driving it the TCS light comes on and the speedo and tacho meters do not work.

Is it caused by a faulty main relay? (Bear in mind that the main relay that i got has a different part number but ek4hatch confirmed that it works on his nsx)

Would replacing the speed sensor solve my problem? Jin 1976 had a similar problem (eps light on and speedo and tacho meters not working) which was solved by replacing the speed sensor.

HELP!!

Thanks

Did you check your battery?? If there is any corrosion on the battery terminal, remove it all and reconnect the battery. Make sure the terminal is tightly secure but do not over do it because the battery terminal is very soft. Or you may have to replace the battery if your battery isn't health.

Keno

I have changed the speed sensor today but it didn't solve the problem.

Then, I rechecked all the fuses and replaced 2 fuse. One 10A hazard light fuse under the bonnet and another 10A fuse (the fifth fuse from the right between the 15A and 7.5A fuse). Guess what? This solved the problem.

From my ordeal i learn that:

(1) If your engine cranks but won't start then it is likely that the main relay is faulty.
(2) If you eps and your speedometer is not working then it is likely that the speed sensor is faulty.
(3) If you eps, tcs, speedometer, tachometer and voltmeter is not working then replace the fuses mentioned above.

I would like to thank all of your for your help. I can now sleep well.

nsxinkl said:
I have changed the speed sensor today but it didn't solve the problem.

Then, I rechecked all the fuses and replaced 2 fuse. One 10A hazard light fuse under the bonnet and another 10A fuse (the fifth fuse from the right between the 15A and 7.5A fuse). Guess what? This solved the problem.

From my ordeal i learn that:

(1) If your engine cranks but won't start then it is likely that the main relay is faulty.
(2) If you eps and your speedometer is not working then it is likely that the speed sensor is faulty.
(3) If you eps, tcs, speedometer, tachometer and voltmeter is not working then replace the fuses mentioned above.

I would like to thank all of your for your help. I can now sleep well.

Great to heard you have it fix. I had similar problem but it was the battery terminal corrosion Thanks for the tips too.

Lung

Hi Shaw,

I am using this exact relay for my X, i have no problem with it. You do need to replace the mounting bracket.

Keno

I am also located in HK.

Just bought an NSX AT and having similar issues i.e. cranking over and doesn't start. Tried the "hitting of the main relay", sure enough that works. But the car wants to die from time to time, RPM drops and picks back up. On one occasion, the car actually lost ignition and I had to pull over.

Will be ordering a new ignition switch, fuel relay, and main relay. Will all these require different brackets (I assume from differences between JDM and USDM)?

Also... will be installing a 6spd MT. Any complications with electronics?

Thanks.
Mag

Also... will be installing a 6spd MT. Any complications with electronics?
Mag

Interesting. There was a write up on the auto to manual conversion on one of the older thread here on nsxprime. The thread below lists out the parts and steps involved for the conversion.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79245&highlight=auto+manual+conversion

Very brave move. I have been thinking about this modification as well for a long time but just didn't have the courage, time and patience to do it.

Do keep us posted on this development.

Good luck.

Going to rebuild the whole car including new engine. Otherwise I would have bought a manual. Problem with HK is that there just aren't any straight 5spds available ... 6spd, forget it.

Going to rebuild the whole car including new engine. Otherwise I would have bought a manual. Problem with HK is that there just aren't any straight 5spds available ... 6spd, forget it.

Hi Mag,

Glad to see one more NSX member from HK. I don't agree with your above comment. Most straight NSX won't be available for sell publicly, and only 1 out of 10 NSX is manual when it was imported by the dealer. But right now it is next to impossible to find a manual equipped NSX but 2 years ago there were quite a few available.

Out of my group of friends, we have 5 manual and 2 auto. 1 of the manual equip NSX was auto, he has someone in HK do the conversion. If you need more info about the conversion, i can give you the contact info.

What color is your X?? Anyway if you have time may be we can come out for drink?

Keno

Hi Keno, nice to learn that you are in HK. I agreed that most NSX won't be sold publicly. From your connection, would you be able to hint me that any of your friends are planning to unload an X. Please loop me in if possible.:tongue:

Hi Mag,

Glad to see one more NSX member from HK. I don't agree with your above comment. Most straight NSX won't be available for sell publicly, and only 1 out of 10 NSX is manual when it was imported by the dealer. But right now it is next to impossible to find a manual equipped NSX but 2 years ago there were quite a few available.

Out of my group of friends, we have 5 manual and 2 auto. 1 of the manual equip NSX was auto, he has someone in HK do the conversion. If you need more info about the conversion, i can give you the contact info.

What color is your X?? Anyway if you have time may be we can come out for drink?

Keno

Hi Keno, nice to learn that you are in HK. I agreed that most NSX won't be sold publicly. From your connection, would you be able to hint me that any of your friends are planning to unload an X. Please loop me in if possible.:tongue:

Sure i will let you know if any of it become available.

Keno

Back