Help. I need brake upgrade advice for the track.

Holiday Ribbing

Andrie - I think RacerX-21 can kick your ass in any NSX on any track any time. :tongue:

Before you respond, perhaps for a moment think about and ask yourself what RacerX-21 has driven in what series in what car. :eek:

Have fun guys.

Oh, and the answer to the original poster's question is.......Brembos at all four corners. :smile:

I think RacerX-21 has mentioned a very good point about the ability for better modulation of the brakes, as well as pointing out the increased leverage of bigger rotors with the calipers hanging further out of center.
A (long) while back I used a AP-22 to measure my stopping distances using the OEM brakes.
When used, the AP-22 will give you the G-forces attained as well as your stopping distances.
One of the things I found out and which surprised me quite a bit was than the maximum deceleration forces (above 1G) did not occur immediate but took quite some time to build up. During that time, of course, your car has travelled quite some distance because at the start it is still moving along at a high speed.

Re: Holiday Ribbing

AndyVecsey said:
Andrie - I think RacerX-21 can kick your ass in any NSX on any track any time. :tongue:

Before you respond, perhaps for a moment think about and ask yourself what RacerX-21 has driven in what series in what car. :eek:

Have fun guys.

Oh, and the answer to the original poster's question is.......Brembos at all four corners. :smile:

Andy,

I still contend I'm the best driver in the world. Until proven otherwise with head to head battle. I'm still waiting for reply from Schumacher of my challenge :tongue:

On a much serious note, like in any series, pro or club racing, we see people with various capabilities and talent. Contrary to my previous statement, I don't think I'm the best driver in the world. That being said, I had opportunities to share the track and raced with some of the pro driver and I do believe I can hold my own. As far as Rob, I'm sure he is a very good driver, but is he better than me, I don't know. Maybe we will find out on NSXPO 2006. We should start the smack talk thread for the 2006 NSXPO now. And this time we should put a tally and find out for sure :)

Why wait for 06 to smack,I'll humble you all in 05! :tongue:

Re: Holiday Ribbing

I’m not sure where that came from, but I hope your just clowning around Andy. :smile: (But thanks for the compliment) The last thing anyone needs is a war based on opinion; I personally like to keep my competition at the racetrack. I’m familiar with Andrie’s driving ability, and have heard compliments by people I know.

As for 2006 (did you mean 2005?), AZ seems like an advantage to someone living in the West. On the other hand it’s far for you too, maybe you will be new to the track also. One difficulty might be equal cars, another might be race schedules. I’m sure we will cross paths eventually. If you did mean 2006, rumor has it that NSXPO will be at Sebring. That… I’m looking forward to.

By the way Andrie how’s the WC effort going? I don’t think they know we indirectly know each other.

All In Fun

Andrie - John - Rob.......it is all in fun about the track smack talk.

I (with my rat bastard pal, Chris) may dual-trailer our cars to PHX. He may have your used series rubber and if things go well, I'll be on the new Advan A048s.

Have a safe one, everybody - kisses, hugs and sloppy wet kisses. :smile:

Make mine extra sloppy! ..now what was this thread about? :smile:

Correct, I do mean 2005. I'm living in warp speed :D

I know Andy was clowning around. My respond was all in good fun too. I've never been to AZ, but do plan to bring my Honda Challenge car to AZ sometimes this year. I'm stealing a page from Doug's cheating bastard book :p

I like to smack talk, and never been offended by stuff thrown around over the internet in good fun. I think it is good to have some sort of competition as it what keep people to strive to be better.

As far as equal car, it will be very hard, as our NSX (your old car) is going along well and should be ready by NSXPO 2005.

We will try local WC races next year providing the car is done. Although, the current state it won't be competitive, but I'm willing to give it a crack.

Andrie Hartanto said:
Ken,

you're not gonna miss this one, are you? It is close enough for us. Just make sure we practice extensively to represent CALI!! :D

Andrie,

Given that I live part-time in AZ, I'll be adhering *by the book* to Doug's cheating bastard tricks :D

Planning to hit the track down here several times next year maybe with the GT3 or the NSX (still deciding between the 2 or perhaps getting a NA1 for AZ). You can always fly Southwest and share the car at the events if you're interested ;)

Just gotta figure out which config they will be running at Firebird International for NSXPO05. (They have 3 tracks and several configs.)

Ken

Last edited:
2slow2speed said:
Andrie,

Just gotta figure out which config they will be running at Firebird International for NSXPO05. (They have 3 tracks and several configs.)

Ken

btw, got any links to the different tracks at Firebird. I tried to find it some info on their site and only saw this.

LINK

surely, there must be a longer track variation :confused:

NSXLuvr said:
btw, got any links to the different tracks at Firebird. I tried to find it some info on their site and only saw this.

LINK

surely, there must be a longer track variation :confused:

You have the right link, 2 out of the 4 tracks are used by Bondurant for their driving/racing schools as such they are not that long, they are short technical tracks similar to SOW (Streets of Willows).

That's one of the reasons why folks down here in AZ where all psyched up when AMP opened up a couple of years ago, sadly it's closed now :(.. Argh So it was probably either PIR or Firebird for NSXPO05.

Ken

nsxtacy,
im interested in adding the 2.5" brake ducting you mentioned. do i need to remove anything permanently such as the a/c unit? im hoping i dont and can leave the car stock.
ryan

ryneen said:
nsxtacy,
im interested in adding the 2.5" brake ducting you mentioned. do i need to remove anything permanently such as the a/c unit? im hoping i dont and can leave the car stock.
ryan

In his setup, he took off the little black plastic piece and used the two screws that were for that piece and used those screws to mount the funnel. To be 100% honest with you I still have yet to find that exact piece that Ken has for his car. All the other pieces I have seen end up covering the AC radiator.

x

I just returned from a Speedventures event at Big Willow. I think I have my brake problem resolved for the moment with the help from everyone. I'm now running slotted rotors instead of drilled and I'm using Carbotech XP8 pads recommended by Andrie. My brakes were great all day and the rotors still look great. I will be adding ducting soon as well. The XP8 pads have incredible bite. I learned I can lock up the wheels (almost went off track in turn three when the ABS kicked in), whereas my previous pads could have never triggered the ABS with my R compounds. I used to stand on the brakes to get the car to stop. Now I'm excited to report that I have to actually modulate the brakes like it should be.

I looked at my old pads after Cal Speedway. Not only were my rotors cracked, but so were my pads. They were flaking as well. No wonder they didn't stop well after the event.
Ryan

Back