Hello - Purchase question

Hi - Ive looked at the FAQ regarding the maintenance schedule.

Ive found a MINT 98 with 10K miles on it. It has not had the belts done and I believe that due to the age of the car, that they need to be done (Ill do the other things that go along with belts as well).

Would you people be concerned that the car has basically sat for such a long period of time without being driven? There is no sign of wear anywhere and I am sure that the mileage is the correct mileage (Ive got every invoice you can imagine for the car documenting its milage), but I cant help but beleive that sitting still for so long is not necessarily a good thing. The car has come right out of a museum, no chips, no evidence anyone has ever even sat in it, no rim wear, tons of tire tread...

I havent bought the vehicle yet, but I can see doing so this week. Are there other things beyond the belts that you would consider must be done right away?

I'm no mechanic, but since you want opinions, I'll give you mine. If I were looking at this vehicle, I would be looking to change out the fluids before worrying about the belts. If a car was sitting in a decent environment, which I'm sure it was given your description, then the fluids would be my 1st choice. Just my $.02

Good luck on your purchase!

SPA_S2000 said:
Are there other things beyond the belts that you would consider must be done right away?

First thing is get a pre-purchase inspection done. Whether it's been a museum piece or a daily driver, the PPI should be done. Going one step further would be to get a leak down test done as well.

Sounds like a great car... good luck

hlweyl said:
First thing is get a pre-purchase inspection done. Whether it's been a museum piece or a daily driver, the PPI should be done. Going one step further would be to get a leak down test done as well.

Sounds like a great car... good luck

Oh yes, I will definately get a PPI done - no question.

Thats also great advice re the fluids...

Hello As RJP said, You should have all the fluids on the car don't worry about the T belt.
My car is a 97 with less that 14k, and I had all the fluids changed. From 97 to present the T belt are now required to be changed at 105K. I plan on doing my car after T belt after 10 or 12 years of the car being on the road. (I my case it's 2008).

Bram

Bram said:
From 97 to present the T belt are now required to be changed at 105K. I plan on doing my car after T belt after 10 or 12 years of the car being on the road.
The recommendation by Honda, shown in the owner's manual and the service manual, is to change the timing belt after 105K miles or seven years, whichever comes first.

Back