Hello NSX, goodbye S2000

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been lurking for a while. You people are very knowledgable about these vehicles. Just got a 91 NSX and am thrilled with it. I now have a 2002 S2000 which will be turned in on the lease. What a way to go forward!

The S2000 will be missed dearly, but it is being replaced with an exceptionally engineered and desirable vehicle. Here are some specifics about the NSX:

91, 5 speed, mostly stock, 63,000 miles, excellent condition. Changes from stock are a Davis clutch, RM racing rotors and pads, and window fix it thingys. It has been a garage queen, and the former owner, who was great to deal with, just wasn't using it much.

I am planning on going to NSXPO, and I think the registration is still open, but apparently the Radisson is sold out. Any suggestions on where to stay?

Also, I would attach pictures but am clueless on how to do this. The file sizes are about 200k.

BobMc said:
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been lurking for a while. You people are very knowledgable about these vehicles. Just got a 91 NSX and am thrilled with it. I now have a 2002 S2000 which will be turned in on the lease. What a way to go forward!

Also, I would attach pictures but am clueless on how to do this. The file sizes are about 200k.
Congrats and great decision on getting an NSX. You can post pics up to 98k. Look at the additional options area to attach pics.

Welcome, and just in time for xpo,see this post http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40780.Plus there are other hotels near the host hotel.Call the raddison and let them know you want something close,if they are sold out then they should have no problem refering you elsewhere. :)

Thanks for the info. The recommendation by Radisson was sold out also (Staybridge Suites), so it will be either a Fairfield Inn by Marriott or a DaysInn.

Hi Rich

I live in Narragansett. Do you take the NSX out in the snow? I found the S2000 to be a handful when it was wet, especially when the back tires were worn.

1TITENSX said:
I look forward to seeing your car when I come to Newport in Apr 05. I am not sure if I will be bringing my NSX.

I think that there are only a few NSX in RI. It would be very interesting to interact with any in the area.

RichH said:
Hi Bob,

No snow, that was just for effect. I just pulled it out of the garage for some photos.

I do have a friend up here that uses his year round.

Cheers

I think the car could handle ok with the right tires, but the front lip is very low.

Hi Bob,

Welcome aboard - Im still smiling evertime I get in & out of my X car - see ya
at XPO - I have a ploace to stay at a very reasonable motel in Corning NY
got it off Expedia.com - $45 a nite - gee hope it not the place in the ad w/
mesqutio's in it.. Budget Inn - Corning there PH# 1-607937-5686

regards Clem in CT.

Hey Rich H. send me a PM w/ a good PH# I need to talk to ya Ill call I promise
I have a deal for u & co. Im leaving Thurs AM thought we might hook up
WED PM regards Clem :D :D

Can you post a quick review of your NSX vs S2000 thoughts. Im trying to decide between which of these 2 cars I will eventually purchase. Im Drawn between the sweetest car ever concieved vs another great car with lower miles and a possible warrenty.

ItsBettrThatWay said:
Can you post a quick review of your NSX vs S2000 thoughts. Im trying to decide between which of these 2 cars I will eventually purchase. Im Drawn between the sweetest car ever concieved vs another great car with lower miles and a possible warrenty.

Ok, here goes. S2000: Its nice to have a convertible, especially in the Spring after a long winter. I didn't like having a convertible in the hot sun, or even hot days with the top up because the A/C is marginal. The car handles like a go kart and is very nimble. Nothing beats it for slipping into holes in traffic, and it has this instinctive handling feel to it. It is also very easy to drive because the clutch and shift is so good.

The main drawback is its noisy. The engine is noisy, not in a refined way, and there is very little sound insulation from the road noise. I had a hard top which definately helped and I would recommend the hard top to anyone. Another quirk is when the rear tires get about half worn, the car gets very loose in the rear in rain. Probably different tires that the S02's would help, but you really need to have matching front and rear tires.

The S2000 is fast, but it needs to be really revved to get real speed. You find that it has to be dropped down 1 or 2 gears to get acceleration. The S2ki web site is great, and very entertaining. There is plenty of mods such as a supercharger which is not that expensive.

NSX: what a car! Its in a different class and is very enjoyable. The actual 0-60 may not be significantly faster than the S2000, but the engine is much more flexible and much better torque. It produces easier real world power and acceleration. The engine sounds are fabulous, especially in higher rpms. The handling is very good, although I find a little to much body roll. I think it needs better sway bars (the car is mostly stock).

I find the clutch to be the biggest drawback. It is a Davis clutch and quite heavy, especially compared to the S2000. The stock clutch would probably be more suitable.

The looks of the NSX, both interior and exterior are fabulous, and the sense is of a luxury car that is highly engineered. It is a car which can be driven daily, and taken on long trips. I never considered driving the S2000 on a long trip (you can't hear radio at speeds of 80 mph). You have to be careful of where to park the NSX, and it is a concern about it getting keyed by some lowlife.

I too am thinking about making the jump to an NSX. I love my S2k, but I'm itching for something new and an NSX will stop the itch.

I couldn't agree with you more...I just made this switch 3 weeks ago!!

BobMc said:
Ok, here goes. S2000: Its nice to have a convertible, especially in the Spring after a long winter. I didn't like having a convertible in the hot sun, or even hot days with the top up because the A/C is marginal. The car handles like a go kart and is very nimble. Nothing beats it for slipping into holes in traffic, and it has this instinctive handling feel to it. It is also very easy to drive because the clutch and shift is so good.

The main drawback is its noisy. The engine is noisy, not in a refined way, and there is very little sound insulation from the road noise. I had a hard top which definately helped and I would recommend the hard top to anyone. Another quirk is when the rear tires get about half worn, the car gets very loose in the rear in rain. Probably different tires that the S02's would help, but you really need to have matching front and rear tires.

The S2000 is fast, but it needs to be really revved to get real speed. You find that it has to be dropped down 1 or 2 gears to get acceleration. The S2ki web site is great, and very entertaining. There is plenty of mods such as a supercharger which is not that expensive.

NSX: what a car! Its in a different class and is very enjoyable. The actual 0-60 may not be significantly faster than the S2000, but the engine is much more flexible and much better torque. It produces easier real world power and acceleration. The engine sounds are fabulous, especially in higher rpms. The handling is very good, although I find a little to much body roll. I think it needs better sway bars (the car is mostly stock).

I find the clutch to be the biggest drawback. It is a Davis clutch and quite heavy, especially compared to the S2000. The stock clutch would probably be more suitable.

The looks of the NSX, both interior and exterior are fabulous, and the sense is of a luxury car that is highly engineered. It is a car which can be driven daily, and taken on long trips. I never considered driving the S2000 on a long trip (you can't hear radio at speeds of 80 mph). You have to be careful of where to park the NSX, and it is a concern about it getting keyed by some lowlife.

I think the last part is all preference.

I drive my S2K to a track that's 2.5hrs away and it's not any louder than of performance cars I've had. BTW I have I/H/E.

The headers make the car sound like a formula one and people one the track love hearing the car go by,

That said I can't wait to get an NSX ,but it's taking longer me longer because I just can't sell my S2K for the NSX and look forward to owning both:-)

Unless Acura actually come's up with the HSC!

ItsBettrThatWay said:

I have a 2000 Prelude and am looking at NSXs and S2K's too. :D

(also looking at an MKII MR2 turbo and keeping the Lude)

And for the discusion sake the NSX is MidShip while the S2K is FR, I would think that makes a HUGE difference.

BobMc said:
Ok, here goes.
S2000:The main drawback is its noisy. The engine is noisy, not in a refined way, and there is very little sound insulation from the road noise.

I'd have to disagree on the S2000 being noisy in a bad way. I think most people would consider the S2000's engine "noise" to be more like music from an F1 racecar soundtrack played at half the revolutions! I love the raw, F1-like howl at wide open throttle. The S2000 was never meant to be refined.

Nevertheless, congrats on the NSX! :smile:

Honda F1 Racing said:
I'd have to disagree on the S2000 being noisy in a bad way. I think most people would consider the S2000's engine "noise" to be more like music from an F1 racecar soundtrack played at half the revolutions! I love the raw, F1-like howl at wide open throttle. The S2000 was never meant to be refined.

Nevertheless, congrats on the NSX! :smile:

If you have driven an NSX, you know that the sound of the intake is much different than the S2000, and IMO much better. There was a previous post of someone with headers on the S2000 and thought that made the car sound better. I have heard some S2000's from the outside that sounded good, especially with an aftermarket exhaust. So I think there is a lot that could be done to improve on the stock sound. Of course, any changes will increase the overall sound.

There was a long thread from a guy named Chipperman on S2ki who went to great lengths to develop a sound insulation package, and that could also improve or filter unwanted road/wind noise. The quality of the engine sound is very subjective and some love it, some don't.

BobMc said:
If you have driven an NSX, you know that the sound of the intake is much different than the S2000, and IMO much better.
When I drove my brother-in-law's old NSX, I agree that the sound is very different from an S. Both are extremely exhilarating engine notes that remind me of F1 racecars. I love the sound of both!

BobMc said:
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been lurking for a while. You people are very knowledgable about these vehicles. Just got a 91 NSX and am thrilled with it. I now have a 2002 S2000 which will be turned in on the lease. What a way to go forward!...

Congrats!! I also have an '02 S2000 to go with my NSX's and can agree that they are both wonderful cars. When they are both sitting there though, I almost always grab the NSX keys first. The car is just WAY too much fun to let sit. :biggrin: :tongue:

Honda F1 Racing said:
When I drove my brother-in-law's old NSX, I agree that the sound is very different from an S. Both are extremely exhilarating engine notes that remind me of F1 racecars. I love the sound of both!

Very true..the sounds of these cars are one of the main reasons I chose them. The NSX sounds so much like a pure sports car that I rarely have the radio on. The S2000 on the other hand sounds like a screaming F1 car with its 9,000 RPM redline. Both of my cars have different exhausts (Taitec on the NSX, and HKS on the S2000), and that just adds even more aggressiveness to the already exhilarating sound. :smile:

After having an NSX with a Taitec on it, my 04 S2000 feels as quiet as a caddy. I think the 04's may be quieter than previous years becuase my car is VERY quiet inside (no wind noise at all, etc).

Both are great cars. I had a stock clutch my NSX and really prefer the S2000's clutch and tranny.

Biggest thing I like better on the NSX is being able to launch it at 2000 rpm's and still get out of the hole running.

Most fun part of the S2000 is dropping the clutch at 7000 rpm's to launch in VTEC :biggrin:

Congrats on your choice, you'll have a great time.

Back