Hearst Castle weekend run - Feb. 14-16, 2009 (by yojack1)

Re: HEARST CASTLE WEEKEND RUN - Feb. 14-16, 2009 (by yojack1)

Looks like fun but I dont understand why GTRs and Gs (what is that) are also invited. Anyway I think I'm in.

I've been to this event a couple of years ago and it was a great scenic drive along Hwy 1 from Carmel to San Simeon. Along the way, we discovered a great place to stop off for lunch with breath taking views off the cliff in Big Sur: http://www.lucialodge.com/mall/c121/s14406/food.htm.
This would be a great Valentine's get away. Since it wasn't too long of drive for me, I did a same day drive back home on Sat.

Bill, will we be seeing your new 05 NSX on this trip?

Last edited:

I've been to this event a couple of years ago and it was a great scenic drive along Hwy 1 from Carmel to San Simeon. Along the way, we discovered a great place to stop off for lunch in Big Sur: http://www.lucialodge.com/mall/c121/s14406/food.htm. This would be a great Valentine's get away.

Since it wasn't too long of drive for me, I did a same day drive back home on Sat.

I did a similar run like this but it was with the p0rsches's club. We actually started at Alice's 4 corners and took Highway 1 all the way down. Had lunch at the place you showed us which was great. That was such a wild ride. We actually cut over the mountain from highway 1 into a government park of some sorts. In the summer time it felt like we were driving through Africa. Long roads with no one around for miles so of course some Porsche's were hitting like 160mph. Finally we got to the highway and it was the same thing. About 20 miles of highway with no one in site and the new 911's just took off. We ended up by King City. I wish I could figure out that route because I'd like to do it again.

Last edited:

Did the same drive also 2 years ago. Great stuff. But the castle was super expensive to go up to see so we looked at it from the parking lot lol.

From a driver's perspective, the drive was AWESOME but the view........ well didn't get to enjoy that at all since I didn't wanna go off a cliff.

Looks like fun but I dont understand why GTRs and Gs (what is that) are also invited. Anyway I think I'm in.

This will be our fourth year in a row leading this run for Z Owners of Northern California which has enthusiastically agreed to invite the NSX community to participate.

Yolanda and I have used our 300 ZX in the past but we'll be bringing the NSX this year.

For those who have not heard or seen Hearst Castle, this is something you might want to take advantage of. The two lane backroads through the rolling hills of Hwy 25 and Peach Tree Road are remote and beautiful so it's a great drive. The return up Hwy 1 on the coast towards Monterey is equally spectacular.

The hotel has a semi enclosed pool area surrounding an elevated gas fire pit for evening gatherings (even in cold weather it is quite comfortable). Parking is very secure with plenty of room. We have secured 16 room packages for the cost of $284.50. This price includes 2 nights, Dbl Occupancy, 2 tickets for the Castle and 2-$20 certificate for dinner at a couple of the local restaurants (an $80 value). The regular cost would be $355.00.

One of the great attractions other than the castle tours is the Elephant Seal viewing sites nearby. Seeing hundreds of the giant seals doing their thing within a few yards is a site to see.

Whether your on your own or make this a romantic getaway, you won't be disappointed.

If a rainy day should occur, there is a 48 hour cancellation period or feel free to bring a daily driver.

Hope to see a few NSXs.

Here is a link for the tours available. You need to choose one when making your reservation with the hotel.

http://www.hearstcastle.org/tours/experience.cfm

Last edited:

Talked to Quality Inn today and we still have 5 packages left. Once they are filled you can still reserve just a room and would need to purchase your Hearst Castle tickets if you wish to go via the internet or at the castle. Either way, we are looking forward to seeing everyone.

1) Jack & Yolanda NSX
2) Paul & Ann 350Z
3) Bob & Carol 350Z
4) Calvin NSX
5) John & Pam G35
6) Bill & Tiffini 350Z
7) Peter & Karen 350Z Roadster
8) Gene & Linda NSX
9) Dennis S.
10) Mike R NSX
11) Dale & Chris 350Z
12) Alvin 350Z/Roadster

I'm not sure if I can make it but a few tips as I've done this drive from 101 south to Hwy 1 and winding all way to SLO where we hopped onto 101 for the rest of the way into Santa Barbara. This is the route for Bimmerfest and it's a fun drive. Hearst Castle is fun but plan on spending a day!

1) Hearst Castle has 4 tours and I've seen 2 of them. Each one requires a bus ride onto their grounds so this is not a quick trip. I would say each tour has it's merits so plan ahead.

2) Tons of photo opts if you plan ahead but Hwy 1 leading into Carmel is a 1 lane each way highway. Get stuck behind a family minivan and you won't be going anywhere fast.

3) Great ice cream stop near Big Sur so make sure to stop there for awesome pics!

one of the most awesome views when you are INSIDE the castle:

IMG_3024.jpg

Here is the updated list.

1) Jack & Yolanda NSX
2) Paul & Ann 350Z
3) Bob & Carol 350Z
4) Calvin NSX
5) John & Pam G35
6) Bill & Tiffini 350Z
8) Gene & Linda NSX
9) Dennis S.
10) Mike R NSX
11) Dale & Chris 350Z
12) Alvin 350Z/Roadster
13) Curtis & Hal 350Z
14) Warren & Arlene 350Z
15) Steve M. - 350Z
16) Mike & Brenda - 350Z or 300ZXTT
17) Roy & Louise - GT-R
18) Joe A. - 240Z
19) John B.

HAVE ONE ROOM LEFT DUE TO SOMEONE HAVING TO DROP OUT. IF YOUR INTERESTED, LET ME KNOW ASAP SO YOU CAN HAVE THE PACKAGE RATE WITH THE CASTLE TICKETS AND DINNER COUPONS.

We have a really great Z turnout, a couple of G's and a couple of GT-R's.
As of today the NSX guys from Sac have cancelled and none registered from the Bay Area. Hope to see some of you at the main start so we're not the lonely NSX!! Yo

Last edited:
Glad you and Linda can make it. See you Saturday morning. :smile:

Let me know if someone cancels, We're in! Gil

There are a couple of rooms left at the Silver Surf Motel which is just down the street from the Quality Inn. A few people are already staying there. Go ahead and call the Silver Surf Motel at 800-621-3999 to make your reservation.

We should get to the hotel about 4:30 PM after hitting the backroads down.

Dinner is scheduled at 6PM at El Chorlito Mexican Restaurant in San Simeon. We have reserved a private room at the back for anyone interested. There is also the Manta Ray attached to the Quality Inn. It is a very very small restaurant but their food is excellent. Last year we all had dinner there both nights because they are really great. You can always make a reservation for Saturday if you prefer to dine separate on Valentine's directly with them at 805-924-1032. We have actually reserved their back room for Sunday night. After dinner there is a covered patio area with a fire pit at the Quality Inn across the highway from the Mexican Restaurant where we usually hang out.

The next morning some people are schedule for castle tours, others will head up to view the Elephant Seals and then drive up to Ragged Point to the viewpoints.

Dinner is scheduled at 6PM again but this time at the Manta Ray adjacent to the hotel. Their food is pretty exceptional for the area. We have their small room at the back reserved for those that don't want to drive into Cambria for dinner.

1) Jack & Yolanda NSX
2) Paul & Ann 350Z
3) Bob & Carol 350Z
4) Don & Linda - SJ - NSX
5) John & Pam G35
6) Bill & Tiffini 350Z
8) Rob & Megan - Z Car Garage (350Z-240Z-510???)
9) Dennis S.
10) Stuart & Sandy - 300ZX TT or G37
11) Dale & Chris 350Z
12) Alvin 350Z/Roadster
13) Curtis & Hal 350Z
14) Warren & Arlene 350Z
15) Steve M. - 350Z
16) Mike & Brenda - 350Z or 300ZXTT
17) Roy & Louise - GT-R
18) Joe A. - 240Z
19) John B.
20) CoolNSX - Tentative

Yolanda

Last edited:
Hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's Day over there! I had a Valentine's meeting with James (regarding the Lombard St. photoshoot) and we were wondering how everything was... weather and all!

Regards to all there! :)

Back