Headroom- T have more or not?

I have the opporuntity to buy an NSX-T. I had a 92 and I LOVED the car but did not fit. I am 6'2" and my head was up against the roof. Long torso I guess. I do not want to change the seats or anything crazy.
My question that several people keep telling me that the Targa will give me 3" of extra headroom and I will fit just fine.
Can anyone confirm this for sure or not as I need to move on this car ASAP if I want it.

The car is long distance by the way or I would just see myself. I have not been able to locate one locally to test it out.

Thank You in advance,

David

I don't know for sure but I don't think so. I'm 6' 4" and I fit (just barely) in both the '91 I considered and the '00-T I own. My hair (what little I still have) brushes the top of both cars. I tend to lean the seat back which helps a little. You should go drive it and decide if you fit in it or not.

The proble is the car is 1,000 miles away. I have been trying to find one local but am unable. I figured I would ask people first. I know people 6 foot that don't fit and 6'3" that do. everyone is built different I guess. I am mainly questioning the supposed extra headroom.

There is definately LESS headroom in a "T". You can remove the roof liner, and also you can purchase a "Dali" seat cushion to add an additional 1" of room.

HTH,
LarryB

I hate to disagree with our esteemed Larry, but there is no difference in headroom between the two. They do have different profiles of headliners, but for us hair rubbing neck squashing drivers, there is virtually no difference.

That being said, if you were not comfortable in the coupe, you will not be comfortable in the targa, unless you take the top off:D

first time in my life i felt i am happier @ 5'11" than 6'2"+

Have you look into getting an aftermarket seats with custommade bracket...? you might gain a few inches from the bracket and/or seats.

just a thought..

-jjc.

Actually the shape of the roof is slightly different,on the T there is a more prominant ridge of plastic running on each lateral edge of the roof which hides the locking latch mechanism,this can bang or contact the left side of your helmet at the track,I'm 5'10'' and just make it with helmet.

I have the same headroom issues with a helmet in my "T" and in the coupes. I must be tall only from the ass up. :D I understand the Dali seat cushion does help.

The Targa and the coupe are about the same...
If you want to fit in the car, try the Dali seat cushion...it worked for me and im 6-6!

how much extra headroom do i get if i remove the headliner?

/Stef

I picked up about 3/8 inch with the headliner out which makes a difference because I am 6'1" and my helment makes contact with the headliner in even with the seat reclined more than it should be.

The cushion gives about another inch but it is not made for comfort unless you are referring to the additional headroom. I would not recommend keeping it in for street driving but it is fine for the 30 minute sessions standard with HPDE.

David, I see that you are in Clearwater. Ferman Acura in Tampa has a 2003 in their showroom (very nice yellow with black). I went and looked at it a few weeks ago. I am sure if you went down there and striked up a conversation with a sales person they would let you sit in it. They opened it up for me while I was there. It's worth a shot and only a few miles away from where you are located.

If that doesn't work out, there is a large group of Florida NSX's participating in a meet in Orlando April 2,3, & 4. If you happen to be in that area, I am sure someone would let you try theirs on for size.

Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up passing on the car. I will eventually sit in a Targa and see for myself if it will work. In the meantime I will keep waiting and hoping.

Back