• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Has anyone had issues with Downforce double din console warping ???

Heres a thread i starting at the end of April regarding my NSX.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121017

We installed the $500.00 double din console from SOS on the 29th of April. On Mothers Day (May 10th) I drove the car to a family lunch. It sat in the sun for approx 2 hours and this occured. Has anyone else had this issue with their double din replacement consoles ?

DSC04720.jpg

DSC04722.jpg

DSC04723.jpg

Re: Has anyone had issues with Science of Speed double din console warping ???

SOS seems like nice folks. Did you contact them for an explanation and/or replacement?

It's produced from injection molded urethane, how hot was it when it warped?

SOS seems like nice folks. Did you contact them for an explanation and/or replacement?

I am not sure a simple replacement would solve the issue, if this one warped, and the follow up piece warps, the OP is in the same situation.

Getting to the bottom of this occurrence seems more advantageous, both to the OP, and the manufacturer.

It's produced from injection molded urethane, how hot was it when it warped?

I am not sure a simple replacement would solve the issue, if this one warped, and the follow up piece warps, the OP is in the same situation.

Getting to the bottom of this occurrence seems more advantageous, both to the OP, and the manufacturer.

I agree that that is a possibility. That's why I first mentioned getting an explanation.

My guess is that that part of the console is too thin, but ICBW.

I have been in contact with them. I have asked MANY times for an EXCHANGE on my defective product. They claim we needed to put metal bracing behind the plastic.

There is NO LOAD what so ever on this trim piece. The head unit is mounted completely independent of the console. For this to warp is clearly a manufactor defect.

I originally called and spoke to someone in their office that said, "It is a common issue and to simply email a pic of the warping and they will take care of it."

but still they havent...

Last edited:

no where in thier own install thread do they say to use any "metal bracing". that part is too thin those areas to even attatch anything.

i would think another call to SoS and a polite conversation with the proper person will yield the results you need.

no where in thier own install thread do they say to use any "metal bracing". that part is too thin those areas to even attatch anything.

i would think another call to SoS and a polite conversation with the proper person will yield the results you need.

O we have been in contact ... I originally had the emails posted but i decided to take them down. i have asked many times for an EXCHANGE not a return/refund... and they keep blowing me off and telling me they will send me some metal bracing B/S ..

what is a metal bracing going to do if it is already warped?????

Thats pretty shit that you havent heard shit back from them.

Hope you get your issue fixed man

It doesn't look that bad. If SOS turns a cheek I'd take it off and try to straighten it out with a blow drier. After getting it straight I'd try to fiberglass the backside of the pieces that warped to make them stronger.

Stephen

Ps. I'm no pro

It doesn't look that bad. If SOS turns a cheek I'd take it off and try to straighten it out with a blow drier. After getting it straight I'd try to fiberglass the backside of the pieces that warped to make them stronger.

Stephen

Ps. I'm no pro

I think its BS he would have to go thru all that.

I would hold off on any fabrications that you can't reverse, before exhausting your options with SOS. You don't want give them a reason to not exchange or give your money back.

That is a lot of money to have to fabricate parts to make it work.

I think our consoles are haunted. Tamoske CF console fiasco, and now this. It's not meant to be...the NSX console gods are thirsty for blood.:biggrin:

I would hold off on any fabrications that you can't reverse, before exhausting your options with SOS. You don't want give them a reason to not exchange or give your money back.

That is a lot of money to have to fabricate parts to make it work.

I think our consoles are haunted. Tamoske CF console fiasco, and now this. It's not meant to be...the NSX console gods are thirsty for blood.:biggrin:

+1, As soon as you "modify" it to make it work LIKE THEY TOLD YOU, I am sure they will not return the item. I would just stay on them and let them know if they dont replace the item, you will be on every forum and BBB you can find to out their faulty product.

+1, As soon as you "modify" it to make it work LIKE THEY TOLD YOU, I am sure they will not return the item. I would just stay on them and let them know if they dont replace the item, you will be on every forum and BBB you can find to out their faulty product.

I have found that threats won't get you very far. I run into that type of customer on a daily basis and I don't take kindly to it. I'll help someone as much as I can but the second I hear things like that, it is hello mr. dial tone.
Like the other poster stated, a nice, polite and calm conversation will get things taken care of. It is a lot easier to deal with someone that is willing to talk things out and work with you rather than yelling and threatening you. You have to be reasonable in your requests and be willing to do what you can to help resolve the problem.
Good luck getting it taken care of.

I have found that threats won't get you very far. I run into that type of customer on a daily basis and I don't take kindly to it. I'll help someone as much as I can but the second I hear things like that, it is hello mr. dial tone.
Like the other poster stated, a nice, polite and calm conversation will get things taken care of. It is a lot easier to deal with someone that is willing to talk things out and work with you rather than yelling and threatening you. You have to be reasonable in your requests and be willing to do what you can to help resolve the problem.
Good luck getting it taken care of.

its called a frustrated buyer...ever been on that side of the fence? If so, you should know that mr. dail tone isnt the best way to go. If you've read what he's posted...he HAS tried the nice, polite, calm way.

And what was posted wasnt a so called "threat" it IS options he has...good ones too

As a matter of fact, my newly installed SOS console is warped also. I'll post pics later.

Like Eric said, the OP has already made contact the nice and POLITE way, which got him no where. If this piece were cheap it would be no big deal, but its nearly $600!!! If you paid that much for a piece that broke within a few weeks, and the manufacturer told you they wont replace it, what would you do?

hi guys --

I'm sorry if you feel we have been dodging your e-mails. All e-mails that you have sent have been replied to within the same day with our advice.

We have been recommending a metal reinforcement in the instructions with the Downforce center console for any double DIN installations since John in Dallas (here on NSXPrime) brought this to our attention some time ago. The dash puts pre-load on the sides of the consoles. If the dash material exceeds 200+ degrees F, this pre-load can cause thin areas to bend. We've used a simple piece of metal rod in our installations here. We've also asked Downforce to look into a metal insert to include with all consoles, and we'd be happy provide these to customers with the consoles already - we'd even be happy to help you with the installation which is fairly straight forward.

Cheers,
-- Chris

hi guys --

I'm sorry if you feel we have been dodging your e-mails. All e-mails that you have sent have been replied to within the same day with our advice.

We have been recommending a metal reinforcement in the instructions with the Downforce center console for any double DIN installations since John in Dallas (here on NSXPrime) brought this to our attention some time ago. The dash puts pre-load on the sides of the consoles. If the dash material exceeds 200+ degrees F, this pre-load can cause thin areas to bend. We've used a simple piece of metal rod in our installations here. We've also asked Downforce to look into a metal insert to include with all consoles, and we'd be happy provide these to customers with the consoles already - we'd even be happy to help you with the installation which is fairly straight forward.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Have you tried "fixing" one that has already been warped to this extent? Just seems like since it has been warped already it will not want to straighten back out. Having the bar to begin with may be a different situation.

that's really scary...:eek:

should the 'single din' owners be worried?:confused:

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the world of R&D and new product development for custom parts. Guys I am really sorry for this unforeseen matter. We tested and did A lot of R&D on this product it took me nearly 2 years to get a final product to market. The cause of this is 2 factors. First we never cut any prototype consoles to fit a double din just a single deck head unit. Second the NSX dash is a snug fit for the console and with heat making the plastic malleable is a recipe for warping. I Hope all of SOS and DF's customers know that a professional resolution will be available really soon. I know that the consoles demand a higher price tag than normal on the customer's end but, I hope you will step in our shoes as well and see that our cost are much higher and the risk factor is greater when dealing with new processes and materials. This does not discourage us so I hope you feel the same. SOS has sent me a console with this problem and a fix is already in the works to repair and stabilize this issue. All I ask is for a little patients and a reasonable open mind. Last thing guys I know SOS is very fair in the customer satisfaction end of things when they are quiet and seem like they don't have an answer its because they probably don't and they are concentrating on getting one as I am doing at the moment. Thanks and lots of exciting products on the way. :biggrin:

Back