• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has Anybody Gone From NA2 to NA1?

Hi!

I've seen lots of people wanting to go the newer '97+ cars, but I was wondering if anybody has gone backwards? I've got a 2001 that I've been trying to sell for a while, and I just recently got an interesting proposal. He is the owner of a '92 NSX who would be interested in trading cars + cash to go newer. The reason why I've been trying to sell my car is that I just don't have that much to time to drive it. Whenever I get a chance, I try, but this has amounted to less than 1500 miles this year.

I've never driven an early model NSX. Is there anything that sticks out on the older cars compared to the new ones? If anybody can chime in on from even the most obvious differences such as 5 vs.6 speed to minutiae such as how the power windows roll down that would be much appreciated.

The difference will be apparent I think primarily in the gearing. The 2nd gear in the 5-speed is well known for being a little too tall. You will see the difference in acceleration. Other tranny issue is the possible snap ring problem. The '92 also does not have a passenger side airbag, and it may require the window fix-it thingy as well. It also does not have cup holders and the A/C uses R12.... Oh! They're all coupes. :)

All that being said, I don't think that you'll miss much between the two.

What I'm wondering is if you're selling your '01 because you aren't able to find the time to drive it, would that not be the case with owning the '92 as well?

Perhaps he has difficulty justifying the expense of keeping the car in his garage, while it potentially depreciates, without having the time to enjoy it - while a similar situation would be had with the '92 he might not feel as bad, because it signifies a far less expensive investment - there is also the possibility the bank owns his '01, and with the '92 he would own the car, and get some cash on top, also making it easier to rationalize a car that gets such limited use.

As far as an early car vs later car is concerned... The largest difference will be your going from a targa to a coupe, and the difference in gearing - with bolt ons (eg headers) the 3.0L makes similar power to a stock 3.2L, but with different gearing - the best recommendation I can make is for you to test drive an NA1 prior to going anywhere with this transaction... Also, when trades are concerned, you are limited to buying not just an NA1, but one specific NA1 - will you find items on his car you don't particularly care for, are there any issues that need to be addressed, what's the mileage/service history, etc... All things to review before you get too serious about swapping a car you know all about, for a car you know very little about.

Scorp has it. I actually own the '01 without bank assistance, but I find it difficult to have 2x the money tied up in a car that doesn't get driven that much. If there's not that much difference between the 2 models, I can see myself keeping a lower valued car.

Don't forget that going back to a '92 you're losing your power steering also. Not sure how big of an issue it is. Most NA1 ownders do not mind not having PS but if you're already accustomed to it, it might take some getting used to. I'm assuming since you drive less than 2000 mi/year it would be less of an issue.

I've gone from 1999 3.2 NSX to a 1994 NSX-R.

No complains here.

Cheers

AR

AR99NSX said:
I've gone from 1999 3.2 NSX to a 1994 NSX-R.

No complains here.

Cheers

AR
Thats definitely a great choice right there!! I wish I could own a NSX-R. I would rather have a NSX-
r than a newer 99 NSX.:smile:

The 6-speed vs the 5-speed is the biggest difference. I really don't think you would like it if you drove it. You could do the short gears and 4.23, but it isn't cheap. I would stick with the 2001 or sell it and get a 97.

I have driven everything from NA1 bone stock to wild modified and Zinardi/NA2 targas.

I assure you there is little difference IMO between NA1 coupe (lighter, tighter, less power) and NA2 targa (heavier, more power, power steering).

That said it is a personal decision that a test drive can easily settle. Also - I had a bone stock gearset for 5 years and went to the NSX-r with 4.23 gear set for the last 2. I don't regret it but wouldn't advise it unto itself. I did it during the snap ring problem. The original gear set is a blast from 55 up to 80 MPH where you do a lot of responsible showing off!

;)

matteni said:
The original gear set is a blast from 55 up to 80 MPH where you do a lot of responsible showing off!

;)

The original gear set is great for the track I found, but on the street, the lag between the 1-2 shift really hurts the way the car feels IMO. Plus how oftern do you go over 80MPH. You have break the law in every state to hit 3rd gear!:biggrin:

I have not owned both, but have driven both. I really like the tightness of the NA1 cars. Also, the power steering seems to take away some of the "feel" in the NA2 cars. They seem to drive more like a stock passenged Honda. The lack of power steering in the NA1 cars gives some nice feedback. Lastly, if you want to do any significant engine mods, NA1 is the way to go due to the lack of the drive by wire system.

I would love to have that 6 speed though.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Cheers,

Nate in DC

Last edited:
I have both an NA1 and an NA2. They are both great cars!

On the NA2, the extra airbag is a plus. I think the power steering is nice when you're turning at 5 MPH, otherwise I don't think it adds much. However, the 6 speed tranny is pretty nice. Also, the R-134 ac is cheaper to recharge than an R-12 ac.

Like I said both are great cars, and I'm really happy to drive either one. If I were you I'd keep what you have. The NSX you know is better than the NSX you don't know!

Philippe

I am use to my power steering in my 97. When I drove a friend's 94 one night, I had to use muscles in my arms that I never used before. A little bit tougher than I imagined. It is a big negative difference to me when I am use to the power steering at low speeds. At mid-speed the power steering cuts off to give you a feel for the road.

Wheelman said:
I am use to my power steering in my 97. When I drove a friend's 94 one night, I had to use muscles in my arms that I never used before. A little bit tougher than I imagined. It is a big negative difference to me when I am use to the power steering at low speeds. At mid-speed the power steering cuts off to give you a feel for the road.

I agree. I think most people who knock the power steering have never driven a car with it. It literally helps with parking, but other than that, it feels pretty damn close.

Wheelman said:

My arms got tired during low speed driving my NSX for the first week, after that whatever muscles I had rarely used built up quickly... now it doesn't bother me at all. I have actually come to really like not having power steering, it gives the car a really nice feel.

Thanks for the replies. I will see about test driving the car. I have had a non power assisted car before, so I know what the feel is like. With regards to the 5 sp. if you are doing regular driving acceleration, do you still feel like you are missing something?

magictooth said:
Thanks for the replies. I will see about test driving the car. I have had a non power assisted car before, so I know what the feel is like. With regards to the 5 sp. if you are doing regular driving acceleration, do you still feel like you are missing something?

Yes and No.

You really notice the gap when doing a 1-2 shift at redline.

In daily driving you don't really notice it, but to really take advantage of VTEC in 2nd gear you are going to be well over the speed limit.

The 6-speed I THINK is 65MPH in 2nd vs 80MPH. Much more fun. Short Gears and 4.23 R&P help with that, but you also increase your RPM's for highway driving -- which may or may not be important to you. However, it is NOT cheap.

Back