Happy to be back!

I recently purchased this '04 Silverstone after several years NSX-less. I love it and will soon be taking it in for a new clutch and 60 K service. I had owned an '05 Elise for 3 years, owned a '92 NSX prior to that.

Attachments

• 3263008_21.jpg
    3263008_21.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 3263008_3.jpg
    3263008_3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 3263008_60.jpg
    3263008_60.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 265
Welcome back to prime, btw, I am a bit confused about your NSX pics, that looks like the 04 with 101K miles .. ?

regardless CONGRATS, if it's that NSX, still the car looked very good!
Oscar

Last edited:
yes it is, other than needing a new clutch and 60 k service, the car is in excellent condition. I watched this car for about 3 months and finally picked it up for a ridiculously low price for an '04. It was a one-owner car from CA. The previous owner drove it as a daily commuter, 25,000 miles per year for 4 years. It will be a weekend cruiser and my ride to Skip Barber races. It won't see any serious track duty. Made that mistake w/ the Elise (long story).

yes it is, other than needing a new clutch and 60 k service, the car is in excellent condition. I watched this car for about 3 months and finally picked it up for a ridiculously low price for an '04. It was a one-owner car from CA. The previous owner drove it as a daily commuter, 25,000 miles per year for 4 years. It will be a weekend cruiser and my ride to Skip Barber races. It won't see any serious track duty. Made that mistake w/ the Elise (long story).

Welcome back. Think this is the highest mileage 2004 NSX out there? As a 2004 NSX owner, I will be interested in your ownership experiences - i.e. how it holds up, maintenance, wear-n-tear, etc. And the long story on your Elise, I'm pretty certain we'd all like to read that write-up whenever you are ready to spin it!
Enjoy! :smile:

Welcome back!

> Made that mistake w/ the Elise (long story).[/QUOTE]
very interested to hear about your Elise experience compare to the NSX.
I am thinking getting one in the future. Love to hear some feedback when you have the time to type.

Congrats and welcome back!!

Thanks gents! The Elise is a great little car and an absolute hoot to drive on the race track. I gradually modified mine to the point where it was simply not at all pleasant to drive as a street car anymore: track pack suspension, decat'ed, Arqray exhaust, lowered 2nd cam engagement point, etc., etc. I quickly grew weary of driving it to the track or even around town and started to long for the much more comfortable NSX. Also, I got into racing F2000's w/ Skip Barber so the track day thing wasn't doing it for me as much anyway. Then I spun and crashed it at Autobahn in the rain a couple years ago. The Elise/Exige body is very fragile and expensive to repair, what would have been $500 damage in a Miata was $5000 in the Elise. I then cracked the front claim driving into my driveway and that was the day I decided to sell it. I have also seen 2 rear toe link failures of this car on the track so I have some questions about their durability for heavy track service.
I finally decided that I really don't want a dual-purpose track and street car, I'd rather have an NSX and leave it comfortable to drive and race someone else's (Skip's) car.

One more thing: the '04 smells exactly like my '92 did. I thought that was pretty cool...:biggrin:
I still hang out at Lotustalk, a great forum and a great source of info for those that are seriously considering an Elise/Exige.

THX for Elise explanation, Doc Honda, and sorry to hear about your destruction at Autobahn.
I must admit, I thought I knew a little bit about sports cars. But you wrote "I then cracked the front claim driving into my driveway and that was the day I decided to sell it."
?????? What's that?
I LOVE the distinctive smell of both the Imola and LBBP! Exterior smells, but more so the distinctive interior smell each has.

THX for Elise explanation, Doc Honda, and sorry to hear about your destruction at Autobahn.
I must admit, I thought I knew a little bit about sports cars. But you wrote "I then cracked the front claim driving into my driveway and that was the day I decided to sell it."
?????? What's that?
I LOVE the distinctive smell of both the Imola and LBBP! Exterior smells, but more so the distinctive interior smell each has.

sorry, typo, front clam-shell. The fiberglass is very thin and brittle and the front airdam did not break away cleanly when I hit the concrete (that had shifted over the winter). It cracked the front clam w/ it when it broke off. The front fascia of the NSX is plastic which is far more durable and much less expensive to fix when you bottom out.

wow, sorry about the Elise, and yes, you couldn't have made a better choice for comfort yet pure sports car experience!

We need PICTURES!!! hahha
Oscar

she's a beauty!

just gets me more fired up about better weather around the corner when i can get mine back out to enjoy!

njoy!

Welcome back brother! The more you see the NSX...the more you understand how beautiful a car it is! Your second time around will be as special as your first...what a majestic looking machine brother!

Dam :cool:

update: picked up the car Saturday after it's 100 K service and clutch replacement. New set of Kumho's ordered. The previous owner had an after-market clutch that was much heavier but was getting very worn and w/ notchy engagement (was smelling too). The oem clutch is much lighter. Car is running strong and I'm enjoying it immensely. A few aesthetic mods ordered....
I would highly recommend Gary and the gang at Bob Lindsay Acura in Peoria, IL. I've worked w/ Continental in Naperville and Lythia in Des Moines and will be sticking w/ Bob Lindsay.
Cheers,
Jim

Where in Iowa?

Also, how was your experience with Windy City? I have heard mixed reviews.

Quad Cities. Windy City is a small, specialty dealer and as such you have to be very well educated about the marque you are interested in and run a car-fax. I am and I did and everything checked out OK. The business end of things went smoothly. I bought the car knowing it would need work and adjusted my offer price accordingly. I can see where people can get burned by these small botique dealers because the guys selling these cars really don't know much about them.

Congrats on your new NSX!

Quad Cities! No kidding!!! I was born in Moline and grew up in Bettendorf... My sister still lives in Davenport. I remember when Bob Lindsay had an Acura dealership in Davenport near Northpark Mall. I bought two of my Legends there...

Not too many NSXs in the QC. I remember seeing one on occasion in Davenport (red w/ black top) and another at a friends neighbors house in Bettendorf. I didn't get mine until I moved out to FL... It probably would have been a lot of fun on some of the country roads in Pleasant Valley and up towards Galena!

BTW I like your screen name... I happen to come from a line of Hondas... who are doctors...

small world Motegi,

the red one you speak of was either my old one (had it from '99 to '04) or a dentist who has had his since '91. He is the one and only owner of that car and it is a bone stock red over black coupe. AFAIK, he still has it.

Later, brotha,
Jim:biggrin:

Congrats on the "NEW" car.

I was quite tempted to sell the NSX and buy an elise when it came out. Then I reminded myself that it is a Lotus. I watched quite a few of my track buddies buy it and PAY for it with frequent serious issues. They are amazing cars that seem quite sensitive/brittle when abused at the track. I still think I would have bought one if they put a K20A in it.:wink:

the drive-train is pretty bullet-proof on the Elise/Exige, even w/ (modest-boost) FI. The problem has been w/ suspension components, especially rear toe-link failures (some of which have been catastrophic). I think this is ironic in a car that is marketed as a hard-core sports and track car. The fragile body is a whole other issue...

Back