Handicapped owners

I dont know of anyone that has special physical needs that drives a Nsx.

I can tell you though, just about any car can be converted to be driven by special physical need drivers, but, because of the Nsx being so low ,and not so easy to get in and out of, it would definitely be a challenging car for handicapped drivers to drive.

(Once new a guy with a Acura Legend who was handicapped, with hand controls, car was modified, and had nitrous!) :biggrin:

I know of one owner who has loss of fingers/hand deficiency that had a knob placed on the steering wheel for ease of turning.

At the NSX Fiesta at Motegi, I think it was 1998, Clay Ragazzoni, (who died recently) drove a modified NSX-T that he could control 100% with his hand only, I had a good look at the contraption that was designed for this, it was quite impressive, I believe that it was featured on one of the "have you got a honda" TV adds.

//Kye

When I was looking for my NSX, I almost but a NSX with a handicap plate. But I think he had a handicap plate because of his age and his deteriorating health.

The car is a stick shift.

Why do you ask?

At the NSX Fiesta at Motegi, I think it was 1998, Clay Ragazzoni, (who died recently) drove a modified NSX-T that he could control 100% with his hand only, I had a good look at the contraption that was designed for this, it was quite impressive, I believe that it was featured on one of the "have you got a honda" TV adds.

//Kye
Yep that was the vid!

//Kye

Several of these cars were built by Honda. One of the Japanese owners is wheelchair bound, but Honda built one of the hand control cars for him. I've seen and driven his car at NSX Fiesta. The system is really well designed. You push forward to brake, and pull back to accelerate. The button at the top locks the lever in position when braking, and the switch in front of the lever is the turn signal. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's very easy to use. There's also one at the Honda museum in Motegi. I wonder if you could get Honda to retrofit the system in a U.S. Spec NSX.

I was going to post a photo, but the photo gallery seems to be down.

When I get too old and feeble to climb out of my NSX, I plan to have a chair lift installed under the drivers seat. :)

Thanks for the replies. I asked because I'm getting an NSX automatic, My current joy toy is a hotted-up Pantera which I modified with a semi automatic clutch actuator and computer controller.
You are correct, getting in and out are the hard bits. I too am in a wheelchair and look terrible getting in and out but I do look good in it. I'll look good in the NSX too.

Thanks for the replies. I asked because I'm getting an NSX automatic, My current joy toy is a hotted-up Pantera which I modified with a semi automatic clutch actuator and computer controller.
You are correct, getting in and out are the hard bits. I too am in a wheelchair and look terrible getting in and out but I do look good in it. I'll look good in the NSX too.

Hey pardon my lack of knowledge, but when you say you are in a wheel chair I assume that you really can't use your foot to do the gas and brake, right? Is that a wrong assumption? if so then how do you control them? You have to modify the car?

Nice to see you not let anything get in your way of owning some cool cars!

Turbo2go,
I have use of my right (loud) foot and hands. The only problem was the clutch. My system has a computer controller which checks rpm, brake, gear selection and over-ride for engagement aggressivness. All of that is for stop and go situations. For normal shifting, a bush button is on the shift knob, and fuctions like my foot would. It is also adjustable for soft or hard engagement in each gear if desired.
The system is parallel to the original clutch hydraulics which is always usable.
Just touching the clutch pedal switches the system off.

Turbo2go,
I have use of my right (loud) foot and hands. The only problem was the clutch. My system has a computer controller which checks rpm, brake, gear selection and over-ride for engagement aggressivness. All of that is for stop and go situations. For normal shifting, a bush button is on the shift knob, and fuctions like my foot would. It is also adjustable for soft or hard engagement in each gear if desired.
The system is parallel to the original clutch hydraulics which is always usable.
Just touching the clutch pedal switches the system off.

Wow that sounds like a pretty slick system. You don't want the same thing in the NSX?

No, Turbo2go,
one exotic for comfortable rides, one for car shows and the adrenalin rush.
I'm gettin' too old to have all my rides thumping my butt.
My accessable minivan is my daily ride, but a man's gotta live the thrill now and then. The NSX will be my slick ride and the Pantera to scare the neighbors.

Have you considered an M6? You mentioned a minivan. Do you use a wheelchair?

It is possible to get into an NSX from a wheelchair. What you do with the chair after that is the difficult part.

Last edited:
Tony,
I use a scooter. I have a 'travel' model which will fit the trunk when folded. That's why I need a hot babe, to put the scooter in and out. If I get the car...I only need to get the hot babe.LOL.
It really is just a question of desire, if you want to do something bad enough, you find a way. I don't accept limits on myself. Give me a great car, a cold beer and a hot Puerto Rican woman and I'm a happy boy. Just kiddin' about the PR woman, any will do.

I am in the process of installing hand controls in my automatic '94 NSX.

I suffered a spinal cord injury to the 5th and 6th cervical vertebrae. I have no use of my legs and limited use of my arms and hands. Because both my arms and legs are affected I am considered quadriplegic. Clay Ragazzoni, on the other hand, (no pun intended:wink: ), was paraplegic which means he had hand and arm function but no or limited leg function.

My injury happened while road racing a motorcycle at the club or amateur level. I had all the current safety gear and had been competing for a couple of years it was just one of those racing accidents that you don’t walk away from. So, after driving a Ford van for several years I needed to find a way to get that enjoyment and excitement back in my life, enter the NSX.

Getting in is OK because it is downhill. Right now I need someone else’s help to get out but I’m working on a solution. I like edmguru’s idea of using a hottie to help with the chair though. A folding chair will fit in the trunk or a rigid chair can fit upside down in the passenger seat with the wheels removed and put in the trunk.

The process has been slow because I am being very careful about how I add the needed equipment. To mount the hand control for the gas and brake I designed a bracket that mounts between the gas pedal stop and the front right driver seat bolt under the carpet. All of the mods are being done so the car can be put back to stock easily. The hand control bolts on top of the bracket and is configured to push for the brakes and pull back for gas.

I purchased a second steering wheel which I am adding a tri-pin to the bottom spoke so that I can use only one hand to steer with. A tri-pin is similar to a steering knob or suicide knob but it keeps my hand in place because of my limited grip.

Additionally I am trying to increase the power steering and brake booster assistance. I am waiting on the final parts needed to finish my modified brake booster. The last challenge is to increase the power steering assist. The easiest way to do this would be to reprogram the EPS computer but I haven’t had any luck finding the software to do that. Honda doesn’t just give this stuff to anyone, something about proprietary blah blah blah. (I’m joking, hopefully I won’t get flamed too much for that)

If anyone can help me with the EPS software or know about others that have modified the steering that would be very helpful.

I don’t have any pictures showing the hand control in the car right now but I will try to take some and post them if anyone is interested. I’m happy to share what I have done if it will help others too.

Cheers,
Ed

Attachments

• NSX_Ed_E150.jpg
    NSX_Ed_E150.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 80
Loosenut,
I'm proud of you! Don't give up the chase, it's worth all you go through to make it happen.
I'm also a C4 quad, but have pretty good use of my right hand and foot. I only really needed the clutch actuator. That's fine for the Pantera but I wanted the automatic NSX for more relaxed driving. I still enjoy dusting the would be NASCAR kids with the P-car. Really blows their minds to get wasted by an old cripple.
Glenn

Back