Had a little fun today with 05 Mustang GT & G35 Coupe

A 05 Mustang GT was driving next to me this evening, we both stopped at red light near Warner. Mustang driver gave me a thumbs up, I also gave him a thumbs up (The 05 Mustange GT looks really nice). He then pointed forward, I nodded, light turned green, I launched without spinning tires, he also hooked up very nicely, I shut off at 60mph, won by 1~1.5 car length.

10 minutes later, as I am approaching red light near Edinger near Seal Beach air base, a G35 coupe approching from behind in my lane at insane speed, then pull up next to me at the red light, judging from his driving, I know he wants to play, there is nothing but straight road ahead of us, no traffic, 3 lanes. As light turn green, I got carry away and had horrible launch, span the rear wheels and went sideways briefly, he had slight jump, as soon as rear tires hooked up, pulled ahead immediately, shut off at 80mph, by that time I am 3~4 car lengh ahead, won convincingly. I can't help but wonder if this G35 coupe was equipped with auto tranny.

Last edited:
nsxsupra said:
I can't help but wonder if this G35 coupe was equipped with auto tranny.
Not necessarily. Although the G35 has a 10 hp advantage over a stock '92 NSX, it has a weight disadvantage of 500 pounds. :eek:

nsxsupra said:
I can't help but wonder if this G35 coupe was equipped with auto tranny.
Did you happen to notice the brake rotors? If it was equipped with the Brembos, it would be the 6spd. The auto tranny G35 coupe doesn't come with the Brembos. Either way, I don't think the outcome would have been any different. :wink:

Honda F1 Racing said:
Did you happen to notice the brake rotors? If it was equipped with the Brembos, it would be the 6spd. The auto tranny G35 coupe doesn't come with the Brembos. Either way, I don't think the outcome would have been any different. :wink:

Not sure, it all went by too quickly. The wheels were in oem G35 coupe 7 spoke 18" hyperblack/black chrome finish (I recognized that immediately as it is one of my favorite oem wheels, not oem G35 coupe 17" 6 spoke wheels), the brake caliper where in gold.

The G35 coupe sounded amazing next to me breifly at WOT. I have to admit. I did had a little unfair advantage today with newly installed Odyssey PC545, no battery mount, just zip ties. :biggrin:

nsxsupra said:
Not sure, it all went by too quickly. The wheels were in oem G35 coupe 7 spoke 18" hyperblack/black chrome finish (I recognized that immediately as it is one of my favorite oem wheels, not oem G35 coupe 17" 6 spoke wheels), the brake caliper where in gold.
Definitely the 6spd if the calipers were gold. The Brembo calipers on the 6spd G35 coupes come in a gold finish.

nsxsupra said:
I have to admit. I did had a little unfair advantage today with newly installed Odyssey PC545, no battery mount, just zip ties. :biggrin:
To put that into perspective, that just means your weight advantage was ~520 pounds instead of ~500 pounds... :wink:

I've got a G35 Coupe 6MT w/ the stock 18"s as a daily...and I got a 91 NSX and it seems like it doesn't pull as hard as the G35, stock for stock.... :smile: and yes, I have a low 11's AWD DSM prior, so I know what speed is... :biggrin:

djskyy said:
I got a 91 NSX and it seems like it doesn't pull as hard as the G35, stock for stock....
Magazine tests of the G35 Coupe with six-speed typically get 0-60 around 5.8 seconds and 1/4 mile times around 14.4 seconds. Both times are a full 0.6 second slower than typical magazine test times for a bone stock '91-94 five-speed NSX.

nsxtasy said:
Magazine tests of the G35 Coupe with six-speed typically get 0-60 around 5.8 seconds and 1/4 mile times around 14.4 seconds. Both times are a full 0.6 second slower than typical magazine test times for a bone stock '91-94 five-speed NSX.

age might be a issue.... :smile:

I also owned a G35 Coupe previously when I first bought my NSX. The reason it feels as if it pulls harder is because of the higher amount of low end torque... however, on the high end of the G35 coupe, power drops off. It also has a significant weight disadvantage. It's still a very nice car though. Very classy and elegant styling. Exhaust note is also incredible. :)

I would have kept it if I had room for two cars, but I ended up keeping the NSX, and am selling the G35 Coupe. ;)

nsxsupra said:
A 05 Mustang GT was driving next to me this evening, we both stopped at red light near Warner. Mustang driver gave me a thumbs up, I also gave him a thumbs up (The 05 Mustange GT looks really nice). He then pointed forward, I nodded, light turned green, I launched without spinning tires, he also hooked up very nicely, I shut off at 60mph, won by 1~1.5 car length.

10 minutes later, as I am approaching red light near Edinger near Seal Beach air base, a G35 coupe approching from behind in my lane at insane speed, then pull up next to me at the red light, judging from his driving, I know he wants to play, there is nothing but straight road ahead of us, no traffic, 3 lanes. As light turn green, I got carry away and had horrible launch, span the rear wheels and went sideways briefly, he had slight jump, as soon as rear tires hooked up, pulled ahead immediately, shut off at 80mph, by that time I am 3~4 car lengh ahead, won convincingly. I can't help but wonder if this G35 coupe was equipped with auto tranny.

Sweet! :)

nsxsupra said:

Anytime you can smoke a mustang... it is a good time :)

I have a 91 NSX 5 speed (Sept. 04) and a G35 coupe. The infiniti may feel faster at low speeds because of the torque, but there is no doubt that the NSX is faster. This weekend I lost the spare tire, tool kit, engine cover, low fuel (I hate to put more than $15 in the tank :tongue: ) and noticed a nice boost including a more agile feeling. The NSX is in its element when you can lose some weight. Also, the linear acceleration of the NSX makes it seem like it is not as fast.

The G35 though is a nice car for a daily driver and I recommend to to anyone.

Back