Guy on S2KI buys Ariel Atom and is driving it 2130 miles back to AZ

I had a rare opportunity to ride in the Ariel Atom last night. It was like an extreme roller coaster ride, the experience is so raw and intense that it was a shock coming from the NSX. I was blown away at how fast it accelerates, and how exposed I felt inside the vehicle. I could see, hear, and feel every move the car/engine/suspension made. It's the closest thing to a street legal go-kart I can think of.

Since I didn't video tape the ride, I'll just post this to give you an idea of how I felt. I was giddy as a school girl. :biggrin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IGpskSboIRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here are a couple of other pics from the evening. And to local guys: he is not giving any more rides until he is able to secure an agreed value insurance policy on the vehicle (collector car insurance companies are giving him grief since he is under 25), so please don't ask if you run into him.

photo09.jpg

photo05.jpg

Last edited:
A lot more pleasant than riding a motorcycle that distance but similar in nature. Probably be fun as long as he stuck to fun roads.

A lot more pleasant than riding a motorcycle that distance but similar in nature. Probably be fun as long as he stuck to fun roads.

to be honest I've never sat in an atom, but the seats do not look comfy at all. but i do know that bikes with good seats can be comfy :)

I've always liked the atom idea but can't justify ever buying one due to how much cheaper bikes are (plus you get the fun of leaning on bikes!)

to be honest I've never sat in an atom, but the seats do not look comfy at all. but i do know that bikes with good seats can be comfy :)
They're surprisingly comfy, but then again I didn't sit in the car for very long. Nik said that he just had to make frequent stops for coffee and also to rest his legs (there's no dead pedal or cruise control :eek:).

They're surprisingly comfy, but then again I didn't sit in the car for very long. Nik said that he just had to make frequent stops for coffee and also to rest his legs (there's no dead pedal or cruise control :eek:).

yeah I'd love to get away and do a random road trip somewhere. lucky guy!

Back