GT40

Jimbo & Doc John, well put. If only Acura would respond!!! I suspect that these cars will been seen in some GT series in the US w/Saleen gear as a marketing tool. The reasons you two stated are what is leading me to try and get one dependent on $'s of course. Info has been so sparce by dealers in my area that some know less than I. I was originally informed that production #'s were gonna be less, i'm guessing that Ford has been waiting to hear from dealers on response from potential buyers. Its by far the most beautiful new production car i've seen from the American muscle side in awhile.

Pbassjo, info on the photo is in the 3rd link from Phoenix.

FYI, the car is no longer called the GT40.

Apparently Ford never trademarked the name and the company that does own the name wants $40M from Ford for the naming rights.

Ford decided not to pay up so it is simply known as the Ford GT now.

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
FYI, Apparently Ford never trademarked the name and the company that does own the name wants $40M from Ford for the naming rights.
i believe ford sold the name to the company who produces spare parts for the original GT40. ford offered $1mil and 2 new GT's but they didn't bite. it is idiotic of the company to think ford would fork out $40mil for a car Ford is hoping to break even on. I think GT is a better name anyway because it is no longer 40 inches tall.

[This message has been edited by nicholas421 (edited 07 January 2003).]

Originally posted by AznSXgirl:
I saw it first time at the auto show the past weekend. They are beautiful!

GT40.jpg
GT40a.jpg

1967 GT-40

[This message has been edited by AznSXgirl (edited 04 January 2003).]

Sold this past Fri @ the Scottsdale auction for $295,000.

GT40 Info

The aqua blue car above is a road going GT40 Mk 3, of which they made 7. They are the only ones that say Ford on the front, the ugly bumpers and the worse fender mounted mirrors.

Here's a link with some info: http://www.fsra.org/laity/

Only a few cars had the "Gurney Bubble" to accomodate a tall Dan Gurney sized guy with a helmet on. Here's a Mark IV like he drove in 67, w/a young Carol Shelby:

Ford-Mark-IV-Carroll-Shelby.jpg

The new Ford GT MSRP is $149k. I've talked twice to my local SVT dealer (only SVT qualified dealers will get to sell/service them) and they will take money down, and one saleman told me they would sell for sticker but he could be wrong, and probably is. Plan on $200k.

Now if you want to do it RIGHT, go here: http://www.cavgt.com/

$65k buys a complete car less motor and trans. I've talked to Bob Lacey over there , done a little research and these are the way to go. Add a 450hp small bloack and a ZF trany and for well under $100k you have one of the best super cars in the world. Add a 750hp motor and you HAVE the best performance car in the world. Rumor has it that a Chicago guy built a 750hp CAV car and ran at Road America over 200mph in the front straight.

Now what about resale value? The Ford GT will probably hold value better, but look at the Vipers, F360s, P-Turbos, etc. and their depreciation. How many miles and track days do you get for your extra $100k? I'd never sell mine anyway so that doesn't really matter to me.

One of these is on my list.

-ed
www.nsxbuilder.com

If Ford does it right and limit the production, they should be able to sell all they can make. But at reported $150K MSRP, I think a lot of people would rather buy a slightly used 360 Modena or brand new Porsche GT2(these are discounted nowadays). I guess that car is made for the really hardcore Ford guys.

1500 to be sold in the US while only 80 are allocated to England, this car is meant to be sold to Americans. Based on the specs the GT should blow away the 360 and 996TT. Real competition should be from the Gallardo.

Resale should also be strong if Ford limits production. Special edition Vettes hold their value quite well.

Hey, Ford SVT Marketing Manager, Tom Scarpello, used to drive an NSX (Nicholas421 now owns it), I wonder if he could comment on the status of the car?...i'll ask...

I thihnk the Ford GT is the nicest looking American-made sports car I’ve seen. If Ford sells it and it performs well, I’ll get one, it just might take a few (ok, more than a few) years to save up…;)

DanO

www.ign.com has a nice review with specs/history in their new car review section with some good quality pics, sounds as though they 're going to be very rare...............

Back