Gt350

Hi All,
Am I crazy for giving strong consideration to selling my NSX to buy the new Shelby GT350?

Your car your money. I drove one and its nice but would never even consider selling/trading my NSX for one.

Hi All,
Am I crazy for giving strong consideration to selling my NSX to buy the new Shelby GT350?

I'm right there with you but I still don't think I can bring myself to do it. I grew up a Mustanger, and owned a series of them starting with the car I learned to drive on (my father's '70 Sportsroof) and my first car ('66 Emerglo straight 6 with 3-speed stick) all the way through '70 Calypso Coral Mach 1 show car, '85 GT, and '91 LX 5.0.

I have always lusted after '70 Boss 302, and when the recent one came out I considered it then. Everyone I asked then, including Mustang owners, said, no, don't sell an NSX to buy a Mustang.

I love the styling of the '15-16 Mustangs, and that 5.2 flat plane crank motor sounds delicious.

The only real reason I would consider the GT350 is that it's new, and I'd have it from new. While I enjoy having a 25-year-old car and having people go "THAT'S A 91?!?!?", it is not without its issues (see my post under electronics), although they are minor. I am on the fence, but I'd have to drive a new GT350 and be totally blown away to consider selling the NSX.

I've truly had the joneses for only three cars: aforementioned '70 Boss 302; early '70's Dino 246; and the NSX. So when it was feasible to actually have the NSX, I didn't look back, and it's been 10 years.

I'd have to drive a new GT350 before I'd commit. And like a dealer is going to let me do that. Um, probably, no.

i actually gave the 350 thot too for a daily (im weird like that) bc the car def intrigues me for the money and the trollishness that can still be accomplished with it. But its biggest problem is that it is still... a mustang

This means that whenevr you are driving it, you will be thrown into the same crowd of teenagers and obnoxious people that ruin cars and coffee by any regular non car person. And then depending on where you live especially, you will most likely have to deal with the most unpleasant of conversations by lovely men at gas stations

^The Boss, GT500, & Roush crowd isn't typically Lime that stereotypical base Mustang young crowd. Seems like the 2015s attract a more diverse fanbase than previous (esp. Pre 2005) Mustangs.

Good input guys. I realize its my money, but always like to hear from others. I typically learn a few things that I would have never considered. Maybe someday I can own both.

...Seems like the 2015s attract a more diverse fanbase than previous (esp. Pre 2005) Mustangs.
Probably due to the fact that Ford finally ditched the solid rear axle. It was great for drag racing but not much else. ;)

Last edited:
The Boss 302 LS (arguably the best handling stick axle production car) out handled an E92 (V8) M3 on track, both as a stock street car and in CTSCC races ;)

I want one soooooo bad. but it doesn't fit in to my stable of cars. I have a daily (civic) track car (s2000) crusing/nice/exotic-ish/special car...but have modded it into more track-ish car *face palm* (nsx) I don't see where the gt350 would fit is. it would be a track/street car (80/20%?) Unless i daily it. hahaa. I would love to run down some gt3 owners in a 'poor mans gt3 :D

I'm curious of the mileage on your NSX? If it's high mileage might be best to do an engine refresh and keep the car. If you don't desire to do that then sell car and buy the gt350. A low mileage nsx definitely is stronger and tighter than a high mileage one from my experience.

The manager at the local Ford dealer here told me they would charge a premium over MSRP to order a GT 350. The base price is under $50 K but if you add the track package you're looking at an extra $6500, and for the "R" model well into the $60's.

They still have solid rear axles? I though they did away with that years back? Jeez.....

As I have posted elsewhere, when they have made countless millions of Mustangs, who cares? Same for Vettes. Regardless of the bang for the buck, how can you get excited when you see dozens every time you leave the house?

They still have solid rear axles? I though they did away with that years back? Jeez.....

As I have posted elsewhere, when they have made countless millions of Mustangs, who cares? Same for Vettes. Regardless of the bang for the buck, how can you get excited when you see dozens every time you leave the house?

No, he meant Boss 302. New Mustangs have IRS.

Ford GT350R.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think your crazy for wanting to buy a new car. I too get the itch for something more practical over my nsx. I barely get to drive it, poured tons of cash into it, I love it, but it is like a one night stand car. It's good for when your in a mood for something seductive and beyond the box of conformity. But then there is the new car, practical, new, fresh, updated, ect. Should you trade yours in for a new car? I wouldn't. But I understand your point of view.

This is my argument too (see above), however, this new 350 with the flat plane changes the game and definitely adds a value that's different to the car's experience. GM is still living in the stone age and using cheap tricks

I'm curious of the mileage on your NSX? If it's high mileage might be best to do an engine refresh and keep the car. If you don't desire to do that then sell car and buy the gt350. A low mileage nsx definitely is stronger and tighter than a high mileage one from my experience.

I'm at 142,000. Its my only and hence daily driver. Its a very clean 2000. It feels strong (for what it is). That being said, I do love the thought of the power on offer by the new GT350. I also guess (perhaps incorrectly) that it will be not as costly as say the GT3 mentioned in this post.

I will admit that I was the PM for the special edition Shelby GT350 Beach Cruiser and had the pleasure of meeting the man himself. He was a very cool guy. This plays into my desire for 350. Maybe the best thing to do will wait until I can buy a clean used one.

- - - Updated - - -

No, he meant Boss 302. New Mustangs have IRS.

View attachment 126857

Thats the "R" yes? Also very nice, but dare I say a bit too much for my needs.

Attachments

• Shelby&JP.jpg
    Shelby&JP.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 591
O
I'm at 142,000. Its my only and hence daily driver. Its a very clean 2000. It feels strong (for what it is). That being said, I do love the thought of the power on offer by the new GT350. I also guess (perhaps incorrectly) that it will be not as costly as say the GT3 mentioned in this post.

I will admit that I was the PM for the special edition Shelby GT350 Beach Cruiser and had the pleasure of meeting the man himself. He was a very cool guy. This plays into my desire for 350. Maybe the best thing to do will wait until I can buy a clean used one.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the "R" yes? Also very nice, but dare I say a bit too much for my needs.

Normally I'd agree with the "wait for a used one" approach , but Don't expect to save much on a used one...they are very limited in production numbers very low .. Only 137 will be made for the 2016.

Last edited:
the mustangs are doing very well in motor racing.

Back