GT3 vs NSX impressions

dxd

Experienced Member
Here are my impressions:

GT3:

Amazing speed - Blistering speed however you do not notice how fast you are going. It is a very easy and stable car at high speeds.

Amazing breaks - Stop like no other. Retina detaching stopping power!

Handles great - Very composed on high speed corners with suprisingly very little understeer.

Driving position - Good

Fit & Finish - Excellent

"Specialness" - A rare car like the NSX however leaves you wanting more. I have not tracked the car as of yet however I have been told that is when it really shines and is when you really appreciate the car.

NSX:

I took her out for the first time in over a week since buying the GT3 and I have to tell you this car is truly special!!!

The driving position feels exotic whereas the Porsche does not. You sit MUCH lower to the ground which makes you feel the more connected to the road. Being this low to the ground also makes you "feel" the speed much better than the GT3. Give you the "go kart" sensation! You feel like you are going faster than you actually are which is a good thing on public streets.

EVERYONE looks at you go by in the NSX and makes comments at parking lots etc... The GT3 gets very minimal looks - only true car enthusiasts really know the difference between a GT3 and a normal 996. The NSX is an attention getter!

Driving the NSX feels much more special and leaves you wanting more. When I hop in the NSX i just can't help to smile and experience the drive about to happen.

The GT3 has an amazing growl and sounds MUCH MUCH better than any other 911 made HOWEVER it still does not compare to the NSX "soundtrack" in my opinion. The GT3 at higher revs does have a very angry/urgent sound that lets you know you are driving a true race car however the NSX still has it beat. The NSX at higher revs just makes you smile!

The NSX is very easy to drive with very light clutch etc.. whereas the GT3 makes you work a bit harder. I guess this is a preference but I like the GT3 clutch feel better. The NSX is very easy to operate and almost too easy to operate.

I will have more impressions as time goes howevever the NSX still has my heart and leaves me wanting more.

Once I get to track the GT3 maybe my opinion will change?

Thanks for the comparison and would very much like to hear your opinions after you've taken the GT3 to the track.

the gt-3 is what year?

the gt-3 is what year?

He has an older one, I think it's a 97?

I had an 08 GT3 and the soundtrack is amazing so if you think your brakes are good you should try the PCCB's on the new 997 GT3 :)

Amazing car for the Porscshe and it will talk circles around the nSX on the race track but I agree with you the driving position is nothing special. Feels just like any other Carrera which is both good and bad. Tons of leg room but does not feel "exotic" like the NSX.

rick

He has an older one, I think it's a 97?

I had an 08 GT3 and the soundtrack is amazing so if you think your brakes are good you should try the PCCB's on the new 997 GT3 :)

Amazing car for the Porscshe and it will talk circles around the nSX on the race track but I agree with you the driving position is nothing special. Feels just like any other Carrera which is both good and bad. Tons of leg room but does not feel "exotic" like the NSX.

rick

It is a 2004 GT3 with PCCB so I do know what you mean about the stopping power with the ceramics. 2004 was the 1st year for the GT3 in the states. I chose the 996 GT3 over the 997 GT3 due to the fact that the 997 has a moonroof and a ton of electronic "nannies" to keep you out of trouble. The 996 has no moonroof and only ABS. No other electronic gizmos. It is truly the last of the modern racing Porsches that will remain raw. Every subsequent model of the GT3 will have more electronic crap associated with it and it only dilutes the true experience. A fine example is the 2010 GT3 actually has a "hydraulic lift" option so you can raise the nose over curbs - pretty bogus if you ask me ;) Soon enough the GT3 will be diluted to be like a Merc S class!

Last edited:
Great write up on your impressions. So by reading this I'm beginning to wonder why you bought it? If your impressions are slanted towards the NSX what was it about the Porsche that got you enticed into buying it?

Looks nice though and it was one of those cars I always lusted after when I was a big Porsche fan - now I'm a big NSX fan. Glad I have the NSX too.

Thanks again - this is really good stuff.

I've tracked both my NSX and my GT3. I can tell you that I was unsure of my move to a GT3 from an NSX until I tracked it. Once I did, I knew I made the right decision. Once you do, you'll want to rewrite your opinion of the GT3 as it is an absolute weapon on the track! My NSX had a complete suspension tuning by a very credible race shop, but is not nearly a match for my GT3 on a racetrack.

Both are fantastic cars, and I agree with everything you wrote, but whooaa baby, wait until you track your little P-car! :)

PS. I got the 996 GT3 as it doesn't have any drivers aids among other reasons, and I swear it's like sex without the condom at a racetrack!

PPS. I wish I could own both.:biggrin:

I chose the 996 GT3 over the 997 GT3 due to the fact that the 997 has a moonroof and a ton of electronic "nannies" to keep you out of trouble.
Nevermind the fact that the 7 would've cost you at least another 30 more, too. :wink:

Nice car. Was it certified, and if so, does it come with a B2B warranty?

I've tracked both my NSX and my GT3. I can tell you that I was unsure of my move to a GT3 from an NSX until I tracked it. Once I did, I knew I made the right decision. Once you do, you'll want to rewrite your opinion of the GT3 as it is an absolute weapon on the track! My NSX had a complete suspension tuning by a very credible race shop, but is not nearly a match for my GT3 on a racetrack.

Both are fantastic cars, and I agree with everything you wrote, but whooaa baby, wait until you track your little P-car! :)

PS. I got the 996 GT3 as it doesn't have any drivers aids among other reasons, and I swear it's like sex without the condom at a racetrack!

PPS. I wish I could own both.:biggrin:

The GT3 is amazing out of the box without a doubt, but I find it impossible to believe that an NSX cant be setup to match it.

The GT3 is expensive and very raw. I would be very curious to see how some of the more race prepped NSX's from Prime here (or even a stock R) hold up on the track.

What was done with your suspension? I guess I just dont understand why an NSX with big money put into aftermarket brakes, suspension and power still couldnt hang with a GT3... Just doesnt seem logical. I really like the Porsche "feel" (driving position, clutch, gearshift, visibility, etc), but feel it just does not match the NSX (and to me, the rear engine design just always loses to the mid engine in terms of feel and feedback as well). So I think if the *technical* deficiencies between an NSX and a 996 GT3 were addressed, the NSX should be the far superior track car.

Last edited:
The GT3 is amazing out of the box without a doubt, but I find it impossible to believe that an NSX cant be setup to match it.

The GT3 is expensive and very raw. I would be very curious to see how some of the more race prepped NSX's from Prime here (or even a stock R) hold up on the track.

What was done with your suspension? I guess I just dont understand why an NSX with big money put into aftermarket brakes, suspension and power still couldnt hang with a GT3... Just doesnt seem logical. I really like the Porsche "feel" (driving position, clutch, gearshift, visibility, etc), but feel it just does not match the NSX (and to me, the rear engine design just always loses to the mid engine in terms of feel and feedback as well). So I think if the *technical* deficiencies between an NSX and a 996 GT3 were addressed, the NSX should be the far superior track car.

There's no question that an NSX if modified "enough" could hang with almost anything. However, if you take both cars to their extremes I still think a GT3 would have the edge, because you are starting with more to begin with.

I think credit must be given where credit is due. For comparison, I drove a 2004 996 GT3 and I'll use my 1991 NSX which has been gone for a few years now.

Good looks, a lower driving position and excellent handling in the NSX is trumped by the GT3's truly phenominal pin point accuracy. Yes it sits a bit higher off the ground, but that doesn't seem to affect its ability to delight with control that rivals anything else. The "snap" steer associated with some 911's doesn't come into play here and the rear tires are usually mated to semi slicks from the factory.

What the NSX lacks, transmitts into a better all round driver's car. You could not drive the GT3 every day...it's just too uncomfotable. The NSX coddles you with everyday features found in most luxery cars. Both cars weight about the same, but the GT3 has a suspension which favors the race track.

If push came to shove, I would choose the NSX solely on a usability basis.

There's no question that an NSX if modified "enough" could hang with almost anything. However, if you take both cars to their extremes I still think a GT3 would have the edge, because you are starting with more to begin with.

This is interesting and worth discussing in a general sense. I'd be curious to quantify specifically what this is though.

Lets break it down (and Im a big Porsche guy btw, so this is all friendly)

A 996GT3 is, essentially, a factory modified 996. The 996 is a very "squishy" Porsche (ask any 930 guy! LOL!) Now I LOVE that about the 996, but Id say the 996 is VERY much like the NSX. Totally liveable, all around towner. Haul the kids get the groceries, etc. Actually its MORE "squishy" then the NSX.

So Porsche took that car (which is no track superstar stock, not bad, but not a superstar) and turned it into the GT3 with mods. Thats really what it amounts to. The basic platform is no different. Its brake, ballast (I think), engine, interior and suspension mods.

So why cant the exact same thing be done with the NSX? Discuss :D

BTW, the reason I focus on the GT3 specifically is because I think this is a car that the NSX is "close" to in many ways from a performance perspective (I mean not like comparing to, say, a GT2 or F430). Like if the NSX-R had been brought over (oh why oh why did they not!) I think these cars would have been bitter track rivals! :D

Last edited:
Discussion over.

http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125913

However, I think the key point is that if a car has been so heavily modified that very few unmodified parts remain, is it really an NSX?

Out of the box the GT3 is pretty much a bargain since it can be tracked at a high level immediately. It has multiple adjustments, a dry sump lubrication system, very reliable engine proven for a number of years, amazing brakes etc...

Like I said two very different cars but I still like the NSX for sheer feel when driving. You are just so low to the ground that you feel like you are driving a Le Mans racer. I have not driven an F430 but I can tell you that the 360 has the same feel as the GT3 since it also sits up much higher than the NSX.

The NSX is problaby that "last" modern car that sat this low since the new bumber regulations are forcing a higher bumber height.

That driving position is the one thing I have never found in any other car. I like that soooooooooooooooooo much in the NSX.

Discussion over.

http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125913

However, I think the key point is that if a car has been so heavily modified that very few unmodified parts remain, is it really an NSX?

Ya, ok - they built a crazy fast unlimitted car that destroyed a cup car that has to fit within certain parameters. Discussion not over. It's an impressive machine though - that's for certain!

The NSX-R to GT3 comparison is a good one to make though. The R was lightened, stiffened, tuned, and has an upgraded suspension, brakes, rims/tires, engine etc. The GT3 is a bit of a Franken-Porsche though. C4 chasis, rear drive only, GT1 bottom end, and everything else to. They both have hand built engines with exotic materials, and are both purpose built for the track.

I could look up the times for each at the Ring, but I'm lazy! :)

Ya, ok - they built a crazy fast unlimitted car that destroyed a cup car that has to fit within certain parameters. Discussion not over. It's an impressive machine though - that's for certain!

The NSX-R to GT3 comparison is a good one to make though. The R was lightened, stiffened, tuned, and has an upgraded suspension, brakes, rims/tires, engine etc. The GT3 is a bit of a Franken-Porsche though. C4 chasis, rear drive only, GT1 bottom end, and everything else to. They both have hand built engines with exotic materials, and are both purpose built for the track.

I could look up the times for each at the Ring, but I'm lazy! :)

Actually its not. The GT3 has a much greater power to weight ratio. Maybe if the NSX-R had a stoker kit and re-tuned for that power the comparison would be valid.

Actually its not. The GT3 has a much greater power to weight ratio. Maybe if the NSX-R had a stoker kit and re-tuned for that power the comparison would be valid.

Yes there is a power disparity, but if we don't confine the conversation a bit we'll be attaching rocket engines to a car and saying it's faster. The NSX-R engine should have been developed more, but it may not have been so it could compete in certain race series (don't know for sure). But a 3.8l NSX-R engine would have been fantastic!

Ya, ok - they built a crazy fast unlimitted car that destroyed a race-winning Grand AM GT car with a built motor instead of the 'rules specified' Grand Am motor that has to fit within certain parameters. Discussion not over. It's an impressive machine though - that's for certain!
Fixed it for ya ;)

Should include the GT-R, there is another 2 threads going now -one of driving impressions of the NSX vs GT3 and the other is asking whether the guy should sell his NSX for a GT R. I"d have to say this you tube has a good rebuttal to either on of those posts.

What would the cost be to get an NSX track ready? Ie: lower weight, suspension etc...?

From looking at these videos if weight can be shaved the car will keep up with much higher horsepowered cars...

Might be a good project ;)

Let's be clear. I love both the NSX and the GT3! The problem with threads like this is often a lap time with a highly moddified car or a car unavailable in this country is used to compare one car to the other. Usually these cars have different drivers with different abilities; making the comparison somewhat invalid.

Look at it this way. In 2004, both a NA2 NSX and a 996 GT3 were for sale new at a comparible price. If you took both cars off the lot and to a track, and had the same driver do laps, the GT3 would be the faster car.

Now you take both cars and drive down the strip in Vegas, and you'd get way more eyeball, and probably more dates driving the NSX.

Two very different cars, both are great. Most NSXs I see are used for cruising and spiritted driving. Almost everyone I know who owns a GT3 tracks it. The cars are used they way they were meant to be.

in that video, that was not a stock nsx-r. that was Tschiyas personal NSX-R modded with his brand of parts from Kei Office. also every single car with the exception of the nsx-r seems to be extremely off pace.

a stock R35 GTR normally can lap Tsukuba circuit in the 1:01 range. That is a very serious time since it normally would take a 500-600hp R34 GTR to run that kind of time, and a stock nsx-r would run in the 1:05 second range. If you look at Tschiya's NSX's time its in the 1:04 range which is about right for a modded nsx-r. The R35 GTR ran a 1:03 which is 2 seconds off pace. You can also see where the whole race rigged in certain turns like how the GT2 let the GTR pass on the 3rd lap on the first lap by brake late on purpose, and how sometimes they would intentionally run wide to let them pass.

I no longer believe what i see in best motoring when it comes to lap battles, its entertaining but its rigged.

Back