• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

group buy OEM car cover! *TESTING*

just wanted to check and see if anyone is interested in a group buy for a OEM car cover. Would anyone be interested?

no price yet...just wanted to see the number of interest!

models 91-01
models 02-05

thanks!

Chris

+1

there are so many good cover makers. I don't think Honda actually MAKES any cover... its sourced out... what is the benefit of an OEM cover? I want a good cover. If the OEM is the best then I am in but what about something like a "weathershield"?

here's a pic. of the car cover. It's light grey in color, water proof, and it has a lock for your security. This cover is for the 02+ model. Should look the same for 91-01.

Attachments

• car-cover-2003.image.jpg
    car-cover-2003.image.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 78
TURBO2GO said:
what is the benefit of an OEM cover? I want a good cover.

Benefit one is that it's OEM and that appeals to many owners.
Benefit two is that it's a well made cotton with a soft flanel interior. It fits the car flawlessly, comes in a nifty zippered bag with a pretty NSX logo on it and it includes a plastic sheathed steel cable and padlock.

i'll have a price up tomorrow to whom ever is interested! thanks guys!

Chris

ohshytitschris said:
here's a pic. of the car cover. It's light grey in color, water proof, and it has a lock for your security. This cover is for the 02+ model. Should look the same for 91-01.
There's nothing waterproof about my OEM cover. As said above, it's cotton with a soft flannel underside. My cover fits *very* tightly - like a racing glove. One downside is you'd never want to put it on a dirty car because it will grind any dust into the paint.

edit to add: here's a picture of my cover. It's wet in this picture because I'd just been to the laundromat with it and it's drying in this pic.

http://techquarium.com/gallery2/main.php/download/6288-2/P5083388c.jpg

Last edited:
bodypainter said:
There's nothing waterproof about my OEM cover. As said above, it's cotton with a soft flannel underside. My cover fits *very* tightly - like a racing glove. One downside is you'd never want to put it on a dirty car because it will grind any dust into the paint.

when was your cover purchased? I spoke to Honda about it before I posted this and they told me they have new covers for all honda and acura vehicle and they're suppose to be WATER PROOF. Just telling you guys what I was told by American Honda. they have locks, the interior of the cover is made with soft cotton that doesn't scratch the paint, and have the logo in the front as seen in the picture. but either way, I wouldn't recommend leaving the car cover outside in the rain and leaving it their without cleaning it. It'll produce mold and change in color.

ohshytitschris said:
when was your cover purchased?
I believe the original owner of my car bought the cover with the car. It may have been water resistant (eg, Scotchguard or similar) but being cotton, it was never waterproof and of course any Scotchguard treatment would be degraded by laundering. I wash both our car covers once a year.

It's entirely possible that what Honda sells now isn't identical to my 11 year old cover. It's also possible I don't know what I'm talking about. Wouldn't be the first time. :) I didn't mean to sound like I was putting down what you're doing - I am not.

edit again - also, my cover did come with a lock and a very nice zippered bag w/logo. All in all, it's a quality product and MUCH nicer than the OEM Mercedes cover in the background of my pic.

I have had an OEM cover (gave it to the new owner when I sold my 2nd NSX to him, along with the original NSX hardcover book, what a dumbass I am:rolleyes: ) and it was not waterproof if I recall correctly.

I bought mine when i got my NEW 05 NSX:biggrin: I love the cover. It has the nice NSX logo in the front and mine is cotton inside. I think mine is water proof because i leave it out every night and it usually rains down here in FL everynight. But when I take it off and clean the cover, the NSX still pearls!:wink: how much selling it for? I bought mine for $310...and that's at a discount price...or that's what salesman told me. but either way if it is or not, I like it just because it fits and the nice logo!

There is a seller on Ebay selling OEM covers for 02+ for $220

Acura parts dealer

I had a feeling i got ripped! wasn't thinking at the time. just excited! but what the hell, i think it's worth it! Keeps it covered and locked so no one can peek in...and the big PLUS is the logo :biggrin:

$220 is a pretty good deal actually. I got to speak with the parts manager and see what kind deal we can give to Prime and NSXCA members...but i'm pretty sure we can beat $220. I looked at that listing and here's a run down of the specs. for the car cover and what it includes:

Designed specifically for the NSX
Exact length and width.
Mirror pocktes.
"NSX" logo on cover and custom storage bag.
Technalon cover made from "Block-IT 400" series fabric
Water repellent.
Mildew resistant.
"Breathable" fabric will not trap moisture.
Shields againt UV rays, dirt, dust, leaves, sap, bird droppings, pollutants, salt, etc.
Soft, Nonabrasive Liner
Guards against scratching
Washable with mild detergent.
Can be washed while on vehicle.
Storage bag - unique to the NSX!
Security cable
Lock
Care instructions

Just an fyi, as the post #16 states, water reppelent is NOT water proof and it can't be if is "brethable." And you don't want a water proof cover because it will trap moisture coming from under the car and that will create mildew.

Whoever at whatever Acura dealer made that pitch should be fired :wink:

FYI, THESE COVERS are OEM Honda NSX covers made with Gore-Tex. I didn't know this and sold them at a BIG loss... :frown:
There are a couple very lucky guys out there. I think SOS can get these if you want them.

i guess the group buys cancelled...i just wanted to see the level of interest but there's too many disagreement between others. thanks for everyone's time!

Hrant said:
Just an fyi, as the post #16 states, water reppelent is NOT water proof

out of curiousity, what's the definition of water repellent?:confused:

ohshytitschris said:
out of curiousity, what's the definition of water repellent?:confused:

Not sure but I had 6" of standing water on the Gore-Tex car cover and NOTHING dripped through. When I pressurized the standing water at much higher that it would ever see (short of a hurricane I guess...), droplets started coming through.

Back