Grizzlyman

What did you think of that program on Discovery Channel? Was that poor kid detached from reality or what? Too bad he took his girlfriend with him.

I wasnt really sure whether i should feel sorry for them or say that the ending was expected. It was tragic...sort of--in the same way that playing russian roulette (not sure if that's spelled right) could result in a negative but predictable outcome.

I used to watch shows about that guy years ago. Then when I learned of his death it was no surprise. Steve Irwin is pretty crazy with crocs and snakes. But it's so much easier to get away from those reptiles than to run away from a grizzly. I didn't get to see the Discovery Channel show but I know what you guys are talking about. I heard a lot of it is actually captured on video/audio as he was recording it during his death. You can raise awareness for animals without risking your life...

Poor SOB was delusional, he was the only problem for those bears. Well they fixed that problem,:eek: and yes it was sad that his girlfriend was there.:frown: I could not figure out how he was helping those bears.:confused:

I don't believe him when he said he wasn't gay...not that there's anything wrong with that...but it seemed pretty apparent that he was. I don't think he was ready to face the reality that he was....kinda like his life in general.

Interesting stuff....Pretty amazing he made it that long with out being taken out earlier.

I missed the show, but is this what you guys are talking about? I can't get them to expand when you click on them, but I think you get the idea.

The downloaded pictures are of a man who works for the US Forest Service in <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:STATE w:st="on"><ST1:PLACE w:st="on">Alaska</ST1:PLACE></ST1:STATE> and his trophy bear.

He was out deer hunting last week when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy emptied his 7mm Magnum semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.

Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the <ST1:PLACE w:st="on"><ST1:CITY w:st="on">Anchorage</ST1:CITY></ST1:PLACE> airport to remind tourists of the risks involved when in the wild.

Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours including a missing hiker.

The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found.

Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (the Service ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body), it only wounded the bear and probably angered it immensely.

The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.

===================================

Added note - - Think about this:

If you are an average size man; You would be level with the bear's navel when he stood upright. The bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows.<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Beautiful Loser

46 years old? :eek: With all that baby talk and primping for the camera, he looked like a lost 18 year old on Ecstacy.

I would guess, deep down, he knew his time would come, but was unbalanced enough to not really care. I suppose I should say "each to their own", but he's like some BASE jumpers I know and I don't suffer those fools too well either. :frown:

I will admit he was a bit off when it came to his personality, but he was alone a lot of the time. He may have died with his girlfriend, but he usually did not have a companion. Lock yourself in your house for a week and don't talk to anyone, you will be a little goofy too. I still feel his death was tragic, even if expected, no one deserves to be eaten alive by a grizzly bear.

instead put these people in the zoo...

Reminds me of the nuovo-conservationalists who leave the steel shark-cage to swim/dive w/ Great Whites to show that it's o.k. and that the creatures are not as dangerous as we all presume.

Here's a video:

http://www.filecabi.net/video/cage-great-white-shark.html

I've seen other footage as well of others doing the same, lately.

As aforementioned, this does more harm than good. Some bohemian pseudo-researcher is gonna get bitten in half and give the apex predator of ocean even more of a black-eye... :rolleyes:

It's the ultimate in disrepect to tread on an animals turf w/o taking precaution... disrespect to the animal, disrespect for your own well-being and gift of life, and disrespect to all those around you who care for you (family, friends, sig. other). . . :frown:

I agree with more harm than good. "Grizzlyman" had those little foxes hangin out with him like puppies. They will suffer in the future when they walk up to other people and get injured.

not eggactly a walkin the park...

I think I read the book that was a recount or autobio' of the bear-guy... I read so many relevant books, stories, etc'... that they tend to become blurred over time, but I'll try to recall the title for those interested.

Some man-animal interactions I just can't comprehend...

- living w/ Grizzlies...
- living w/ 'loose' fully-grown conscricting Snakes...
- living w/ uncaged big-cats (African Lions, Bengal Tigers, Jaguars, etc')...
- swimming w/ Great White shark w/o steel-cage...
- swimming w/ schools red-belly Piranha's...
- bare-foot strolling in wetlands/marshes to 'sense' and feel Anacondas...
- wrestling w/ adult salt-water crocodiles and North American Alligators...
- runnin' w/o elevation or exit w/ the Bulls...
- playing infants/adolescents in households w/ Pit Bulls...
- diving and feeding particular species of sharks known to frenzy & attack...

Back