Greetings fellow supercar drivers. (Long)

Ladies and gents, this is my first post. I cut my teeth on a 86 chevy celibrity that i bought and paid for myself. Fast forward 11 years. I have owned 20 some odd cars, mainstream cheap ones. The car i have held onto the longest is an 1986 Porsche 944 na. (8 years) Great handling, enough power to make things fun. I have driven the car to its full potential, making minor upgrades (951 springs and sway bars). I cut my performance car driving teeth on a car that has a 50/50 weight split.

I love the mclaren f1. The nsx, in my own little world, is the closest car I can get(legally)that looks as good and has (what I believe)similar handling characteristics.

What is that exactly? Being mid/rear engine the weight is in the back, so in theory if the rear came out under power, it would keep on coming if you let off the throttle. Sounds fun. I like cars that are a challenge to drive.

The looks of the car is what grabbed me, then how it is an exotic. I am spirited in my driving style, I tend to push the limits often. I feel that the drive is more spiritual, sounds odd I know. It is the drive that I look forward to.

My current weapon of choice has been a 3000gt VR4. Heavy and modded. IT has the awd year round drivability. It also has failed more times than I care to remember, to include the transfercase failing at 75-80mph... I kept control of it, barely..

I am planning to keep the vr4 as a track car, or a car to go out and take on the local Ls1 fans.

I intend to have my cake and eat it to. I will own a nsx in the near future. I hope it will give me the same thrill as the 944 (in the handeling department) and give the the same grin factor that it does most of you. I feel that it is truely a drivers car. The prestige may have a little to do with it, but I am somewhat of a speed fan. The vr4 has brute power but lacks the finess, the 944 has the handeling but lacks the power.

I truely feel that the nsx is the best of both worlds, and is reliable...

Sorry that this was so long, it is hard to put in to words how this final realization has effected me, and how it is going to effect the bank account : ).

Sounds good.

Feel free to check out our notice about NSX Club events in the Chicago area, here. The annual dinner has passed (and it was fun!), but you can check out the NSXs at some of the upcoming track events. And we'll start having our regularly-scheduled meetings again in the spring, right SJJ 28?

Welcome! I used to have a Dodge Stealth (not TT though) and I love my NSX! I'm sure you will too. There's nothing like the completely open view of the asphalt in front of you, and the roaring engine behind you. What a rush!
icon14.gif

Is anyone aware of any memebers that are close to Peoria IL, and would be willing to take a total stranger out and introduce me to all that the NSX stands for, it would be a great honor.I have never driven an nsx, nor have I ridden in one. I have seen two around town, in the last 10 years. There was a yellow one in town a while back, actually chased the car down one night and spoke briefly to the timid femal owner, told her that I was envious of her car, though I didnt push further for I could tell she was a heartbeat away from calling 911.I guess her seeing me pull a 180 and quickly closing the gap put her on alert mode.I always wanted a yellow 944, I would take a yellow nsx, though silver and black would be my first choice.

Originally posted by spyonu2007:
Is anyone aware of any memebers that are close to Peoria IL

Good luck. The NSX Club of America has 47 club members in Illinois, and all 47 are within 100 miles of downtown Chicago. And all nine Acura dealers in Illinois are in the Chicago area.

WEll, guess I will have to grab a wad of cash and hit the auto trader. I did see one on ebay,here in IL. Still waiting for the tranny numbers to verify if it is is range of the potential snap ring failure.

This is the one.

Oh - looks like it didn't pop up because it's listed in the St. Louis (MO) area. As it should be, of course.

Milage is a bit higher than one would want

It's above average, that's for sure. Average for a '92 would be around 55K miles.

It's also a car that was originally built for the Canadian market, so you'll see the bigger numbers on the speedometer in km not miles, the heater/AC showing temperature in Celsius, etc.

The roof and the rear valence have been repainted.

And when they say "all service is up to date", you'd better ask him about the timing belt and water pump. They were scheduled to be replaced five years ago, based on Honda's recommended maintenance schedule, but I bet they weren't.

it would be way over 100k miles once I was ready to sell, which kills the resell value.

The resale value doesn't magically drop the instant you hit 100K miles. It loses value very slowly with each mile you drive. As a percentage, resale value doesn't drop with mileage any more than most other cars - and drops less than most supercars. But if you're really worried about resale value, then don't drive it... or don't buy it. If you care about enjoying the car... then drive it.

Then again it is fairly low.

No, it's above average for a '92 NSX. Sure, there are some '92 NSXs with many more miles than this, but there are more with less than 75K than there are with more.

You may want to take a look at the pricing section of the FAQ.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 11 February 2003).]

I found a lady that has a 91 yellow with a manual tranny. She has the car in storage and will have it out in a few months, after she talked up how bad she has spanked mustangs and her husbands 911, I threw out the challenge to run my vr4. Sounds like she is up to the task. She had it advertised for 27k at one point in time. Car has 75k miles, and has a Florida rebuilt title. ( flood damaged car) I dont think that she will be able to get that much out of it considering the climate control and radio dont function for some unknown reason.... ( liquid damage? ) Then there is the whole maitenance records, or lack there of. Anyway she seems open to taking me out for a spin up "the worlds most beautiful drive"... I cant wait. The more I think about it, and based off having owned a supra targa turbo, I think I will save a bit more and go for a newer targa roof nsx. There is something intoxicating about open roof motoring.

Thanks for the guidance NSXTACY, and all the others who have replied.

She had it advertised for 27k at one point in time. Car has 75k miles, and has a Florida rebuilt title. ( flood damaged car) I dont think that she will be able to get that much out of it considering the climate control and radio dont function for some unknown reason.... ( liquid damage? ) Then there is the whole maitenance records, or lack there of.

And the fact that the entire car has been repainted.

It's difficult to estimate a price for a car that has that many things wrong with it. But I sure wouldn't pay anywhere near $27K for it. Then again, I wouldn't buy a car that bad in the first place...

The white one on ebay has been a confirmed, wreck and rebuild.

Spoke to a gentleman that had the inside scoop on the local yellow one, evidently it is worse than just being a flood car, that there are a mutltitude of "little" problems both mechanical and cosmetic.

The big deal here is proper maitenance, equal to that is cosmetic appearance. This yellow 91 lacks both.

The search continues.

Back