Great News Concerning the Next NSX!

Japan simply cannot create a lasting high dollar sports car legacy because *too much of the buying public rejects it* and there *arent enough people who can BUY these cars for that to be acceptable*

It's interesting you say that because, when you think Honda or Acura, you will think S2000 or NSX if you know cars and like cars. No one gets excited for the Civics, Accord or anything else that sells in bulk. The sports cars were the only things that proved and made Honda exciting, and the average cars just kept the cash flow. Now Honda is just plain ol lame, like Toyota was... Time to move on to other companies people. I plan on driving my NSX til gas is no longer affordable and then I will move on to electric or something. :tongue: lol, If I need something a bit more modern and new, that Evora will always do.

Still don't understand the ZDX idea either, I guess Honda has switched directions and wants to cater to the female market??? The sportest car they can come up with is the CRZ? Right...

Lexus already told the press they will take a loss on the LF-A , why because as a whole...it will pay off. It still shows everything lexus revolves around and even more...not BORING. Honda apparently thinks BORING is good?

Lexus already told the press they will take a loss on the LF-A , why because as a whole...it will pay off. It still shows everything lexus revolves around and even more...not BORING. Honda apparently thinks BORING is good?

I wouldn't be so sure if I held a lot of Toyota stock in my hand, think about that, above statement really sounds like someone's wet dream or pet project, and a spendy one!! In a way, yes, they can make something along side with the LF-A, which Honda did 10 years ago. (when they roll out the S2k and insight.) They still losing money!!! If I were the boss, I'll tell whoever thinking of this "get the *&ck out of my company!" Just thinking of the business side of things...

One of the thing to defend Ito san, is that when he related the LF-A as a monster, it probably isn't sound as bad as we English speaker as thought. (Ever watch Hot version, Monster is the car that does very well and had a very high standard: eg. Kip Olson's nsx is the 1st Touge monster in US)

I just came back from the Accord Crosstour introduction. I have to say I love the car for what it is. Since I'm keeping my nsx forever, I'm actually happy to see the CRZ being hybrid and will have some driving fun with manual transmission.

Oh yeah there was this part as well

"We can only hope that the economy rebounds soon so that we can see what the wizards at Honda can cook up next. Perhaps we'll get a preview in LA in December where Honda spokesman Chuck Schifsky told us to "look for a surprise."

LOL Our best surprise would be a dead hooker being found in ITO's trunk:rolleyes: Sorry really ticked off right now.
Lmao thats funny i wonder what the reaction would be towards ito:eek:, well thats sucks i thought that honda was going to answer toyota's supercar with the v-10 project, i dont think we will be seeing a super or sports car from Honda for awhile well thats horrendous:mad:

Precisely. There's nothing really wrong with going into a project expecting a loss per se...it's a limited production halo car and it will potentially pay off in other areas.

What I could never understand is Honda's position that the NSX was such a money pit when it was Honda who chose to let the NSX languish for far too long and continue to rack up losses year after year and then basically blame the car and the philosophy of the car.

A halo car, showpiece or limited production vehicle may never be a direct sales success but yet Toyota and many other companies still produce them and they sell.

Honda can find any justification not to produce something they wish to look for. There are lots of reasons not to produce such a car, no doubt, and obviously Honda's current philosophy has no room in it for an performance car and so they cling to the reasons why it's unfeasible.

There's no doubt that if Honda had properly supported the NSX it would have been considered much less of a failure than they make it out to be and maybe, eventually, could have molded the NSX into a car that was feasible over the log term.

There's a lot of reason why Honda has adopted the current philosophy, the least of which is Japan's eternal recession and quite franky embracing the "green" philosophy is where a lot of money is.

I saw this coming awhile ago. The ship has sailed for Honda and performance for the forseeable future. The best we can hope for is the LF-A gives birth to something regular production and affordable.

What I could never understand is Honda's position that the NSX was such a money pit when it was Honda who chose to let the NSX languish for far too long and continue to rack up losses year after year and then basically blame the car and the philosophy of the car.

Can you show me where Honda refers to the NSX as a "money pit" and where they "blame the car and the philosophy of the car"?
Thanks.

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but on page 28 in the December 2009 issue of Modified Magazine they mention the V10 NSX targeted toward the GT-R is still unlikely, but it may come as a contender against the Nissan 370Z.

Economic woes or not, people would've lined up to buy this car...just like the GT-R. There was a ton of momentum built up for this car. Make the car!!! Granted I would've quite likely never afforded one, but damn what a car....AWD V10, quite likely all aluminum...oh my yes!

Economic woes or not, people would've lined up to buy this car...just like the GT-R. There was a ton of momentum built up for this car. Make the car!!! Granted I would've quite likely never afforded one, but damn what a car....AWD V10, quite likely all aluminum...oh my yes!

I respectfully disagree. The LF-A will be a gigantic loss-leader for Toyota because of poor sales. People simply are not going to cross-shop the LF-A and front-engined Ferrari GT's. The GT-R however is priced well and will sell well but will be a loss-leader for Nissan as it probably costs more than it's MSRP to build (just like the NSX did). An AWD V-10 supercar would be an economic disaster for Honda as the LF-A will prove to be for Toyota. What Honda should do is resurrect the NSX as an alternative fuel V6 or hybrid at the same price point as the old NSX and retain the beloved MR configuration.
Then build that car w/ several option packages: NA/tourer, NA/ Type S (semi-track car), FI/ tourer, FI/ Type R (full-on, balls-out stripper/track car).
Porsche (and now Lotus) has used this formula very successfully of late.
Imagine a stripped down, HSC-inspired NSX w/ a 400 hp/550 ft-lb turbo diesel or 450 hp turbo hybrid weighing 2800 lbs....people will totally cross-shop that w/ GT3 and the like....:biggrin:

I've been following this thread since the beginning. I believe most of the guys who posted are NSX owners, and I'd like to share my perspective as a potential NSX buyer. First, killing the next-gen NSX is a logical business decision. It would save Honda tens of millions, however, the impact of it isn't going to be simple mathematics.

1. Used NSX prices have dropped more than it should - I've been looking for an 2005 NSX for 2 years now. I was really waiting for the official press release of the 2nd generation to decide which one I want to purchase. So when I heard the bad news, my first thought was that the current NSX should keep their value very well. I was ready to raise my budget, but boy, was I wrong. I just had a deal on a 2005 silver NSX wit 17k miles for 59k last week. I past on it because two primers convinced me that I should pay less than that. Sure, a lot of it is economy, but nobody can deny that when Honda killed the NSX they're not only killing a project, they also killed an image of Honda, and the passion from Honda sports car fanatics. Plus, without any true sports car in the lineup, in a few years Honda will have no attention from the sports car fans.

2. I happen to have a buddy who works for Nissan Japan. Sure, Nissan loses over $10,000 for every GTR they sold(at an average MSRP of $84,000.). However, Nissan's business analyst also realized that since the launch of GTR, it made some impact on their Z-cars. Sure, the new 370 is much more attractive than the old 350z, but the fact is that many who can't afford the GTR shopped Nissan and converted to a Z. This actually doesn't apply to Honda anymore, because Honda has ZERO sports car in their lineup anyway. But it proves a high-end sports car DOES have effects in promoting. ITO was not only making an excuse when he said those green car crap; he was trying to explain why he couldn't and didn't do what Nissan did and Toyota is trying to do.

3. If you go to a bookstore this week you'll see the Lexus LF-A is in every single car magazine. I really think it's an awesome car. Toyota did what Honda failed to do. It may not be a great business decision, but it deserves applause. Sure, I cannot afford a $350k LF-A, but with my budget for NSX, I surely can buy a brand new IS-F and mod it anyway I like with the leftover $. I've actually test drove the IS-F three times in the past 6 months. It's true that its not a NSX. It is true that it is not an exotic. BUT IT IS ALSO TRUE THAT IS-F IS FASTER, MEANER, AND MORE SOPHISTICATED THAN THE NSX.

First the NSX, and now S2k is also gone, forever. I feel my passion as a Honda fan has died, my flame for a NSX is weakening, and I am really unhappy about it.

Last edited:
Sure, Nissan loses over $10,000 for every GTR they sold(at an average MSRP of $84,000.)

Is this fact? Can you show me some documentation for this? Is it from Nissan or some would be pundit?
I'd love to see some facts. Please?

I've seen this said about the NSX as well. Can anybody show me where Honda admits to this either? I really want to see.

Not hearsay but THEY say. OK? (wooo a rhyme):biggrin:

Is this fact? Can you show me some documentation for this? Is it from Nissan or some would be pundit?
I'd love to see some facts. Please?

I've seen this said about the NSX as well. Can anybody show me where Honda admits to this either? I really want to see.

Not hearsay but THEY say. OK? (wooo a rhyme):biggrin:

<Sure, let's ask Nissan and Honda prepare the official documentations of the net cost of their cars, plus the developmental costs as reference, just because we're curious.>

Seriously, I doubt you'll ever get any written documentation to prove it on NSX, GTR, or any automobile. However, I remember there was a video documentation in Japanese when they sized down the NSX production line and converted the resources to S2000. They did talk about how labor intensive it is to build a NSX, and how Honda was losing money over it. I am sure you can find the video somewhere if you really want some kind of proof.

Crystal Ball Acura NSX Back on Life Support?

This is quoted text from MODIFIED MAG, DECEMBER 2009 Issue.

"The twice dead, twice-revived resurgence of the NSX has been hit with the resuscitation paddles again. Is it only because the media keeps bringing up the subject and the powers that be at Honda want to say the right thing, or is there a plan? Car and Driver magazine's John Watts touched on the subject in a recent interview with a senior manager of product development for the Honda luxury brand. Reluctant to use the words "bottom line" with anything having to do with the NSX, we've heard the target may have changed. The all-new NSX will most likely not be a GT-R killer with an exotic V-10 mounted amidships Ferrari style. The de-tuned version will most likely be more akin to a 370Z challenger. What we will say bottom line to is the fact that Honda/Acura sorely needs some fresh sports car blood and any kind of performance-oriented entity would be welcome with open arms."

Re: Crystal Ball Acura NSX Back on Life Support?

This is quoted text from MODIFIED MAG, DECEMBER 2009 Issue.

"The twice dead, twice-revived resurgence of the NSX has been hit with the resuscitation paddles again. Is it only because the media keeps bringing up the subject and the powers that be at Honda want to say the right thing, or is there a plan? Car and Driver magazine's John Watts touched on the subject in a recent interview with a senior manager of product development for the Honda luxury brand. Reluctant to use the words "bottom line" with anything having to do with the NSX, we've heard the target may have changed. The all-new NSX will most likely not be a GT-R killer with an exotic V-10 mounted amidships Ferrari style. The de-tuned version will most likely be more akin to a 370Z challenger. What we will say bottom line to is the fact that Honda/Acura sorely needs some fresh sports car blood and any kind of performance-oriented entity would be welcome with open arms."

Hey Mizz

Is that last sentence from John Watts or from or Senior luxury manager? I imagine Honda has to have heard some backlash from Ito's embarrassment at the Tokyo autoshow.

So now hopefully the Honcho/Wingz J series HSC will make it to the design table:biggrin:

Re: Crystal Ball Acura NSX Back on Life Support?

Hey Mizz

Is that last sentence from John Watts or from or Senior luxury manager? I imagine Honda has to have heard some backlash from Ito's embarrassment at the Tokyo autoshow.

So now hopefully the Honcho/Wingz J series HSC will make it to the design table:biggrin:

Not from John Watts but the ending sentence from the article. The author's name wasn't given.

Thanks! Is the article online and if so can you post the link?

Wild speculation here guys but if J series SOHC can make 307 then a DOHC should make for some serious 370 competition. Yeah apparently this is what it has come to:redface:

At this point I'll take anything that doesn't say "green" or "hybrid". :redface:

Thanks! Is the article online and if so can you post the link?

Wild speculation here guys but if J series SOHC can make 307 then a DOHC should make for some serious 370 competition. Yeah apparently this is what it has come to:redface:

At this point I'll take anything that doesn't say "green" or "hybrid". :redface:

I know it's so sad but true as I'd be in line ordering one behind ya:biggrin:

It's interesting you say that because, when you think Honda or Acura, you will think S2000 or NSX if you know cars and like cars. No one gets excited for the Civics, Accord or anything else that sells in bulk. The sports cars were the only things that proved and made Honda exciting, and the average cars just kept the cash flow. Now Honda is just plain ol lame, like Toyota was...

Why is it so obvious for us and so complicated to understand for Honda?

Stupid Honda ...

Time to move on to other companies people.

Exactly! There will go my money: SE30 !!! Stupid Honda ...

I plan on driving my NSX til gas is no longer affordable and then I will move on to electric or something. :tongue: lol, If I need something a bit more modern and new, that Evora will always do.

Gas will always be available ( at what cost, this is another question! ).
The Evora is today's Ferrari Mondial. I applaude the return of a 2+2 rear midengined.

Attachments

• DSC_0136.jpg
    DSC_0136.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Ma Mondial Nov2009 5.jpg
    Ma Mondial Nov2009 5.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 59
Back