Got a pre sale inspection

I had the seller take the car to an Acura dealer to be chscked out. He told me that everything was 100% except the steering wheel was off center. He said this could be due to unequal tire pressure, but most likely because the car was never alligned when it was built. Does that make sense?

How old is the car?

You can change the steering wheel center when you get an alignment.

Sometimes an alignment shop can find frame damage too. Things just don't set-up right with a bent car.

I would ask to see the actual report on Acura Letterhead faxed or scanned to you. I'd wait for the dealer to try and explain it versus hearing it from someone inbetween.

Have the dealer FAX the inspection report to you directly. Eliminate the middle man. I would bet the alignment is off.

The thought that the car was never aligned is TOTAL BS.

Sounds like the fox gaurding the chickens to me.

NEVER have the seller act on your behalf, he has HIS interests in mind, period. You need to find an independent shop where the car is located and have it checked. I would consider this inspection faulty. Based on the wheel being off center, sounds like a body shop, that will look after YOUR interests, should inspect it.

My $.02
LarryB

I had the seller take the car to an Acura dealer to be chscked out. He told me that everything was 100% except the steering wheel was off center. He said this could be due to unequal tire pressure, but most likely because the car was never alligned when it was built. Does that make sense?

LOL. That's a good one. A hand made car and they forgot the alignment. :wink:

You guys are getting me worried. It was a third party dealer that inspected it (Bellevue Acura). They faxed me the inspection report.

I suggest calling the dealer directly and ask to speak to the service manager. He might give you a little more insight into the car than what is written on paper.

I spoke with the tech that performed the inspection about 30 mins ago. He said the car is 100% and the steering wheel is not an issue. He explained that there are paint markings that show wether or not the allignment has been adjusted, since assembly and he said that nothing has been changed. He said to take it to a dealer when it arrives and have it alligned and it should good to go. Can someone confirm this paint marking concept?

Hi...normally if you lift up your NSX, you will see that a lot of bolts are yellow marked....this was done at the factory line to mark their position

First of all, congrats on the car. If it were me, I would buy a plane ticket over there and inspect the car myself, and possibly take it to a third party. I would not trust anyone with that amount of money. I know the logistics might make it tough to get out there, but a $300-$400 plane ticket is not a lot of money considering the amount of the purchase.

I spoke with the tech that performed the inspection about 30 mins ago. He said the car is 100% and the steering wheel is not an issue. He explained that there are paint markings that show wether or not the allignment has been adjusted, since assembly and he said that nothing has been changed. He said to take it to a dealer when it arrives and have it alligned and it should good to go. Can someone confirm this paint marking concept?

I can't confirm the paint marking concept, but my NSX has yellow marks on the alignment adjustment bolts (its a '92).

One other thing to consider. I've read a few posts on Prime from owners of 02+ NSXs whose front tires wore out faster than expected. The culprit turned out to be bad alignment from the factory. This could be the case w/ your car as well.

Sounds like it might have been curbed and the steering wheel was knocked out of alignment - of course the rim would have to be replaced... but its hard to believe that would happen to a car w/ 800 miles on it.

As long as there is no apparent frame damage and you fix the alignment, I'd say it should be fine... always get a 2nd or 3rd opinion and never buy something without seeing it and driving it first.

Best of luck!

Back