Google Fiber

Why Kansas? What's in Kansas??

That I dont get....... maybe it will be their fiber "Core" and then they spread out from there? Very strange........ why not SF or LA? :biggrin:

My buddy who follows this sort of stuff closely (and worked at AMD for several years before giving up on them) said it is likely because they want to see if average american will use the service. Whether LA, Austin, or SF gets on board is not the problem. They need to determine how big the market is. Kansas is probably appropriate for that.

That is true but i believe most of the cost would be in the transport mux/demux equipment, cause i ain't cheap :biggrin:.

This thread kinda went to the clouds.

Mike

Yea sorry bout the clouds thing..

fiber over the "last mile" is expensive, so are gaining the easement rights
ask any fiber contractor
Cox and other incumbents will do everything they can to block Google
and protect their precious monopoly on the "last mile"

Why Kansas? What's in Kansas??

From Wikipedia

the location was chosen following a competitive selection process.[2] Over 1,100 communities applied to be the first recipient of the technology.[3] On March 30, 2011, Google announced that Kansas City, Kansas will be the first community where the new network would be deployed.

From Google

In selecting a city, our goal was to find a location where we could build efficiently, make an impact on the community and develop relationships with local government and community organizations. We’ve found this in Kansas City.

@RedWings
No problem man,
Yes i agree, if ATT ever makes the big push of there service i feel a lot of the smaller cable companies will go away. They have the infrastructure to support google speeds and already have their foot in a high percentage of homes and business.

Mike

Back