Good source for buying Timing belt/water pump replacement kits?

I'm looking to do the TB/WP replacement sometime in the near future. I wanted to buy the parts myself. What's the best place to buy it from?

From what I researched, I should do a few other things at the same time:

Timing Belt
Water pump (what parts do I need for the replacement besides the pump itself?)
Tensioner Belt
Alternator Belt
Compressor Belt?

Anything else that I am missing?

This is a good time to replace all the cooling system hoses, too.

And the crankshaft pulley.

Get your parts from this guy:

timbanner.jpg

The water pump will come in a kit which includes a newer style lower timing cover. I'd also recommend replacing the crank pulley; the rubber between the inner and outer pieces disintegrates with age, and you don't want to see the results. I also did the cam seals (behind the cam gears); easy work while everything else is out. And the timing belt tensioner itself - again, easy while you're in there.

On the older cars - 91-96 I would consider doing the LMA (Lost Motion Assemblies) from the newer 97+ cars if you do the cam plugs, this will make your older sewing machine engines as quite as when they were new.
If you do a motor out timing belt job (highly recommended), then all the coolant hoses on the engine are easily access-able, there are about 6 hoses that are part of the oil cooler, throttle body & idle circuits. These are tough to get on with the engine in the car but a breeze if the motor is out.

Fuel Filter should be changed

Spark Plugs

Spool valve seals if leaking

Valve cover seals all of them, there is the main gasket plus three smaller ones around the spark plug holes that should be done

Take a look at all the ball joint rubber boots and verify they are intact, replace just the boot (dust cover) and keep those ball joints alive. You do not want to replace ball joints $$$$$$$

Clean Idle air passages in Throttle body and at the EACV or IAC, requires no parts just throttle body cleaner and time about an hour.

Oil pan gaskets - I see a lot of these leaking on the older cars, not really part of the timing belt service but if the car is on the rack its a good time to fix any leaks

CV boots - check for cracks and leaks, rebuilding them with RedLine CV grease is a good idea, labor about 2 hours per axle and about $50 in parts, replacement shafts are $900.00, joints are 400.00 ea so keeping them alive and healthy is worth a few bucks of maintenance. maintained and they will last most drivers forever.

As far as were to buy, I like to use the OEM stuff if possible, but for things like gaskets, spark plugs, AC belt, and alternator belt you can find them listed on Rock Auto at a far cheaper price then buying them from Honda, they even have the timing belt and water pumps listed there. I have used the water pump listed on there before for a customer car and had no issues but there were some small differences in the casting so they are not from the OEM supplier, but worked well non the less. For my car the timing belt would be Honda, Tensioner from Honda, water pump from Honda most other things if you can get them from an aftermarket supplier and they are far cheaper then go for it. If the aftermarket part is near the same price then get the OEM stuff.

Here is a quick little example:
Rock Auto valve cover gasket kit - $59.00
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2654792&cc=1000843&jnid=381&jpid=2

OEM Acura parts needed to replace the valve cover gaskets:
6 12343-PR7-A00 @ 3.00 ea = $18.00
2 12341-PR7-A01 @ 20.00 ea = $40.00
12 90442-PR7-A00 @ 5.20 ea = $62.40
Total Valve cover gasket kit from OEM source = $120.40

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input. Going to do most of the replacements in a month or so.

This is a good time to replace all the cooling system hoses, too.

And the crankshaft pulley.

Get your parts from this guy:

timbanner.jpg

Thanks for the referral! Ordered everything I needed. Prices are great!

I'm looking to do the TB/WP replacement sometime in the near future. I wanted to buy the parts myself. What's the best place to buy it from?

From what I researched, I should do a few other things at the same time:

Timing Belt
Water pump (what parts do I need for the replacement besides the pump itself?)
Tensioner Belt
Alternator Belt
Compressor Belt?

Anything else that I am missing?

Have you downloaded the free shop manual from the Wiki?
It's a valuable resource.
If you combine the manual and info found by doing Prime searches you'll have a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips.

Valve Cover Gasket Set OEM: 12030-PR7-010 List Price is $68.25

This kit includes the following 3 items:
3 12343-PR7-A00
1 12341-PR7-A01
6 90442-PR7-A00

You will need 2 per engine.

My Timing Belt Parts Kit:

14400-PR7-A01 1 Timing Belt
91318-PY3-000 1 Oil Pedestal Gasket "8"
12030-PR7-010 2 VC Gasket Set
90471-580-000 2 Crush Washer 8mm
19200-PR7-305 1 Water Pump/Timing Cover Set