Good gramar book?

This is not a parody or a joke thread. I seriously need recommandation on good grammar books in which I can review and maybe learn more grammar. English, being my 3rd language, has always been my weakest subject.

I recommend A Writer's Reference, by Diana Hacker.

I'm impressed. English is my first (and only) language and I have problems with grammar. I would not have guessed from your post that it was your third language. Just out of curiosity, what are the other two?

red_MM_nsx said:
I'm impressed. English is my first (and only) language and I have problems with grammar. I would not have guessed from your post that it was your third language. Just out of curiosity, what are the other two?

I agree. Zuerst, you should be commended for wanting to improve skills in which you seem proficient.

red_MM_nsx said:

I was born in Taiwan so Mandarin Chinese and Taiwanese are my first 2 languages. I also took French in high school but I'm afraid that'll have to go because I'm doing a major/minor that requires a lot of time and I just don't see it fitting in with all the college work, work, volunteer time, and partying... :o

ncdogdoc said:
I agree. Zuerst, you should be commended for wanting to improve skills in which you seem proficient.

Thanks, but I think I'm really doing this out of necessity. I plan on going to medical school and to do that I have to take the MCAT and I think the GRE also, both of which includes a verbal/writing section. My SAT verbal score although higher than average, is quite disappointing to me and I don't think I can pull a competitive score on the MCAT and/or GRE if I don't do something about it now. :o

Zuerst said:

Thanks, but I think I'm really doing this out of necessity. I plan on going to medical school and to do that I have to take the MCAT and I think the GRE also, both of which includes a verbal/writing section. My SAT verbal score although higher than average, is quite disappointing to me and I don't think I can pull a competitive score on the MCAT and/or GRE if I don't do something about it now. :o

I would agree with your logic. I also find that I have much more faith (maybe wrong) in someone in a position of knowledge if they can convey that knowledge in an easily understandable form. This requires a very good working knowledge of the language, and also typical "jargon" for the geographical area in which you are working. Best of luck.

Back