Good from far, but far from good...

Lemme get this straight - The OP said he's been looking for an NSX for 6 years, then 3 days after posting this thread he already moved on? :cool:

Hope we didn't just waste our time... then again, I enjoyed talking about the NSX so whatever.

J

LOL!

That's exactly what I was thinking, moved on and spent 30K since last Thursday? A prime (pardon) candidate for purchase was the first car I looked at- the first one not sold in the marketplace? I've changed my mind too; now I don't just want SteveNY's 360, but now I want for it to fall from the sky and into my garage with absolutely no intervention from me.

OK, let's keep the thread going anyway as if he were a serious buyer and was following through to purchase. That way we can continue talking about NSX's. I know Tim's not done! :biggrin:

I'll go first:

... so yes it's definately a better choice to choose a covered transport. The cost is not much that different and a lot can happen on an open truck between Minnesota and California this time of year.

Yeah, Curt knows it takes more than this to shut me down! :biggrin:

Absolutely on the closed container or van line shipping - another thing better make sure if the car is going to have another car over it that you cover you car in case something drips from above. That's why the next level is one level only transport shipping. So you pays your quarter and takes yer chances - I'd go with a really reputable line closed. That's the way my 993 went to CA - miss that car. Always more cars out there. I've actually been thinking how I'd like a muscle car - but I digress.

So other thing we've all mentioned here before and what keeps us in turmoil is how much can you get a nice model NSX coupe for - I tell you the 91s are the first year and there is something to be said for having the first year for collection purposes. That and being a low mile example with all the service up to date makes a car like that "rare" - plain and simple.

When I was looking I thought about the later NA2s and as I looked it seemed that to get into my budget bracket I was looking at 97s or 98s with 60+k miles and not up to date on maintenance just like Hbui was saying. I figured that if I got an NA2 that I would want it was going to cost me around 45k by the time I got it in the shape I would want it.

So I guess what I'd say is that those that find a car they really like - and you can ask ole Sidwac - my buddy out in CA - he'll tell you - when you find the one you really want it's most likely gonna cost you more than you think it's worth but in the end you may spend a few more thousand but you'll get a car that is super nice and all up to date and who's gonna slam you for that? Nobody - cause running around getting things done slowly or a bit at a time or even a huge chunk like I did - is still painful.

I believe if I was looking now I would resign myself to spending more up front than later after the fact and to find a car like that you'll also find you have to lay out an extra premium cause the guy that owns it is in no hurry to sell it cause he knows what he has and I believe he's right!

My 2 1/2 cents worth....next....:wink:

....2. Meyatch is the guy anyone would want to buy their car from - he is waaaaaay beyond anal! :smile: I mean buying spares for the next time - man that's awesome so Meyatch I have to ask at what point on the way to buying parts and maintenance to the point of purchase price did you ever stop and say - damn I guess I could have bought a 40k car and done better? Just wondering, cause believe me I've wondered the same thing after paying 28,500 for mine a year and a half ago for a 91 with 42k miles on it and then putting 5k in it. I've wondered alright and really I'm still putting money in it so what I have in it is still increasing...

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I am beyond anal about my cars and their maintenance, much to the dismay of my wife and my bank account. I have had my car for so long that it was about $40k or so when I bought it (so in order to do much better I would have had to spend about $50k - $60k), and since I wanted a 1994 Grand Prix White / Black with a 5-speed I was a tad limited in finding one since they only made 20 of them for the U.S. market. However, I was careful to buy a nice one, and would not have bought it if I did not feel good about this particular example.

When I bought it I had settled on a mental budget of a few thousand dollars after purchase to replace any worn cosmetic items that I saw to make it as close to new as possible (shift knob, radio knobs, climate control knobs, carpets, floor mats, etc). You would be surprised how much more 'new' you can make a car feel and appear by just spending a few hundred bucks on new knobs, floor mats, and such (if you do not want to go full tilt like I did and start replacing almost everything). Within a few days of ownership I drove it to the Acura dealer and had them do all maintenance that I could think of (with the exception of a clutch because it did not need one, and has not needed one) so that I was starting from fresh all the way around.

In short...I really do not think much about what I could have bought, or what I could have spent, because I bought a great car from the start and just made it better. I guess when you honestly want to keep a car for as long as you live, thinking about money spent on the car becomes irrelevant. No matter what doing what I have done is cheaper than buying a new sports car every few years and losing money that way. This car is like my friend, my family, and my place to relax. The NSX lives outside of my voice of reason where it comes to money spent on it, and really, the car does not ask for much. I spend the extra because I want my car to be as happy as I am with it. :)

Last edited:
$30k no... $10k is gone though... there is a local car for $40k with only 12k miles and its had its 30k performed... that'd be my pick if i have that much to spend. even then, i am due for the 60k soon as its been about 5 years since. i want one, but i think i need more money to get the perfect one... and seeing how these were made til 2005, i'm not really in a hurry. i pay cash for my cars and anything else i can afford to, so that is why i can't just spend another $10k just like that. life isn't as exciting, but i have no debt. love the NSX, but i have my #1 car (300ZX Twin Turbo), so I have no regrets if I die tomorrow.

$30k no... $10k is gone though...

We all understand that funding for most is not infinite and that things can change in the blink of an eye. The timing was simply very funny: "please help... oh, never mind".

Take the good-natured ribbing in the way it is intended. Most if not all if us are here for a good time and not to bust on good, hard-working folks for no reason. You did get the ball rolling and it was VERY easy to find a potential candidate literally in a minute, not 6 years. Like it or not (because you're the OP) that's funny.

I for one hope that you stick around regardless. I can't speak for all but I value different perspectives and opinions and it makes Prime a more interesting place. If all posts were by Shawn, or me, or Tim only, this would be a boring forum. I'm sure that you can provide valuable input on appliances or home security or something like that in the OT forum until you do become an NSX owner. Don't you have something for the "delete" thread, for Pete's sake?

So welcome to Prime, fasten your chinstrap and keep your head on a swivel!

Ok Meyatch now I know you have the car I want.....lol ....no really you do have the car I want. The last of the coupes and in the perfect color and you've updated and made everything perfect - wow - you are the guy that we all and especially Hbui would want to buy a car from! I mean!

So if you ever get kind of itchy or unable, God forbid, to get in and out of your car, or just want to make a change - LET ME KNOW!!!!! :biggrin:

Really, really, really. I started out thinking silver and I have one and I love it but - I found a white one when I was looking - a 93 and I almost got it but I eventually missed out on it and I've been heart broken about that miss since then. Sure I have a nice car to make me happy and I've spent and spent on it like you have sort of - maybe not all the knobs, and carpets but lots of stuff. I would sell mine if I had a chance at one like yours. I just love white. The 94 has some benefits - wheels are larger, passenger air bag. But then mine has comptech headers and a 97 NSX OEM exhaust and all kinds of good stuff. I'm torn but you aren't selling so it's moot.

I'm glad you are enjoying your car so thoroughly; I understand completely the way you feel about it. It's great that we have members like you that take that approach. I hope I get to see it and meet you one day!

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I am beyond anal about my cars and their maintenance, much to the dismay of my wife and my bank account. I have had my car for so long that it was about $40k or so when I bought it (so in order to do much better I would have had to spend about $50k - $60k), and since I wanted a 1994 Grand Prix White / Black with a 5-speed I was a tad limited in finding one since they only made 20 of them for the U.S. market. However, I was careful to buy a nice one, and would not have bought it if I did not feel good about this particular example.

When I bought it I had settled on a mental budget of a few thousand dollars after purchase to replace any worn cosmetic items that I saw to make it as close to new as possible (shift knob, radio knobs, climate control knobs, carpets, floor mats, etc). You would be surprised how much more 'new' you can make a car feel and appear by just spending a few hundred bucks on new knobs, floor mats, and such (if you do not want to go full tilt like I did and start replacing almost everything). Within a few days of ownership I drove it to the Acura dealer and had them do all maintenance that I could think of (with the exception of a clutch because it did not need one, and has not needed one) so that I was starting from fresh all the way around.

In short...I really do not think much about what I could have bought, or what I could have spent, because I bought a great car from the start and just made it better. I guess when you honestly want to keep a car for as long as you live, thinking about money spent on the car becomes irrelevant. No matter what doing what I have done is cheaper than buying a new sports car every few years and losing money that way. This car is like my friend, my family, and my place to relax. The NSX lives outside of my voice of reason where it comes to money spent on it, and really, the car does not ask for much. I spend the extra because I want my car to be as happy as I am with it. :)

Yeah, Curt knows it takes more than this to shut me down! :biggrin:

Absolutely on the closed container or van line shipping - another thing better make sure if the car is going to have another car over it that you cover you car in case something drips from above. That's why the next level is one level only transport shipping. So you pays your quarter and takes yer chances - I'd go with a really reputable line closed. That's the way my 993 went to CA - miss that car. Always more cars out there. I've actually been thinking how I'd like a muscle car - but I digress.

So other thing we've all mentioned here before and what keeps us in turmoil is how much can you get a nice model NSX coupe for - I tell you the 91s are the first year and there is something to be said for having the first year for collection purposes. That and being a low mile example with all the service up to date makes a car like that "rare" - plain and simple.

When I was looking I thought about the later NA2s and as I looked it seemed that to get into my budget bracket I was looking at 97s or 98s with 60+k miles and not up to date on maintenance just like Hbui was saying. I figured that if I got an NA2 that I would want it was going to cost me around 45k by the time I got it in the shape I would want it.

So I guess what I'd say is that those that find a car they really like - and you can ask ole Sidwac - my buddy out in CA - he'll tell you - when you find the one you really want it's most likely gonna cost you more than you think it's worth but in the end you may spend a few more thousand but you'll get a car that is super nice and all up to date and who's gonna slam you for that? Nobody - cause running around getting things done slowly or a bit at a time or even a huge chunk like I did - is still painful.

I believe if I was looking now I would resign myself to spending more up front than later after the fact and to find a car like that you'll also find you have to lay out an extra premium cause the guy that owns it is in no hurry to sell it cause he knows what he has and I believe he's right!

My 2 1/2 cents worth....next....:wink:

Shipping -

When I purchased my car from West Palm Beach FL, I bought it sight unseen. The car carrier ended up being a no show the date the car was supposed to be picked up from the dealership. The next date was delayed. I decided to buy a plane ticket and drive her back to chicago. I thought to myself (what a pain in the ass!- its a long *@#*ing drive!

It was the best trip of my life. And I got to know the car very intimately by the time I came home. A friend of mine said "but all those miles!!!". Whatever. This car was built to be driven.. and yes I wanted a low milage car, but not to keep it low milage. Low miles is great because its closer to "NEW".. but once I have it Im no longer worried about its history!

No worries about dripps, or dents, dings, timeframe, insured/bonded, top vs bottom level, weather... etc etc.

Best decision I ever made!

Shipping -

When I purchased my car from West Palm Beach FL, I bought it sight unseen. The car carrier ended up being a no show the date the car was supposed to be picked up from the dealership. The next date was delayed. I decided to buy a plane ticket and drive her back to chicago. I thought to myself (what a pain in the ass!- its a long *@#*ing drive!

It was the best trip of my life. And I got to know the car very intimately by the time I came home. A friend of mine said "but all those miles!!!". Whatever. This car was built to be driven.. and yes I wanted a low milage car, but not to keep it low milage. Low miles is great because its closer to "NEW".. but once I have it Im no longer worried about its history!

No worries about dripps, or dents, dings, timeframe, insured/bonded, top vs bottom level, weather... etc etc.

Best decision I ever made!

Shipping:

Several years ago I puchased an 850i from a guy in West Palm and had it shipped to me in Cincinnati. When the car arrived it was a complete POS and nowhere near the condition represented. After threats of litigation and contacts with the Fla Attorney General the guy took the POS back and away it went via the same transporter that had brought it. The transporter driver indicated that this seller had been in that position before...

Ever since I have gone with cash or prepared to wire the funds releasing upon inspection. Then I get to enjoy, besides the thrill of the chase, the next best aspect of a used car purchase- the drive home.

Now I understand that the OP indicated that he can't drive long distances. There are work-arounds for that sort of thing like a Primer or Acura dealer PPI but like Jason and so many others, the trip home with the new member of the family is generally a wonderful experience and a great way to "burn-in" driving nuances.

Absolutely agree here Curt - the drive home can be a lot of fun. Mine was not quite as nice as Jason's drive. I drove mine right to Barney in Nashiville and was on a mission - not so much fun really. It was fun for about the first 300 miles then it became a chore. After I left Louisianna it was a boring drive thru Mississippi but Tennessee is nice. Would much rather have ploted a mountain ride back to Atlanta and more time for fun.

I would surely say though you learned a valuable lesson with the 850i - don't buy anything unless you have a super reputable,dependable PPI guy in the area you trust to give you the real skinny. I'm assuming you may not have done that with the 850i.

BTW I've always loved the 850i - did you ever get one? Bimmers are cool cars. I've had many.

Shipping:

Several years ago I puchased an 850i from a guy in West Palm and had it shipped to me in Cincinnati. When the car arrived it was a complete POS and nowhere near the condition represented. After threats of litigation and contacts with the Fla Attorney General the guy took the POS back and away it went via the same transporter that had brought it. The transporter driver indicated that this seller had been in that position before...

Ever since I have gone with cash or prepared to wire the funds releasing upon inspection. Then I get to enjoy, besides the thrill of the chase, the next best aspect of a used car purchase- the drive home.

Now I understand that the OP indicated that he can't drive long distances. There are work-arounds for that sort of thing like a Primer or Acura dealer PPI but like Jason and so many others, the trip home with the new member of the family is generally a wonderful experience and a great way to "burn-in" driving nuances.

...don't buy anything unless you have a super reputable,dependable PPI guy in the area you trust to give you the real skinny. I'm assuming you may not have done that with the 850i.

BTW I've always loved the 850i - did you ever get one? Bimmers are cool cars. I've had many.

I did not PPI the 850i. Young and dumb.

I was in-between my 540I touring and 540i Sport 6-spd. My little brother still has the 6-spd Sport. Wonderful car, M-sport suspension, M-parallel wheels, 28 mpg on the road and would haul 5 people comfortably and fast. Like many of the cars that we have all owned, that one is one that I miss. It did everything well but stay young...:frown:

Never got the 850i, got something WAAYYY better. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Back