gigapixel camera shot of city

there is something not right with the picture. I only see half a man...its like hes been photochopped!! He is in front of the stadium (or whatever that building is to the right).

??

NemesisX said:
there is something not right with the picture. I only see half a man...its like hes been photochopped!! He is in front of the stadium (or whatever that building is to the right).
??
My guess is the final "gigapixel" image is a composite of many smaller images... probably taken with a normal xx megapixel camera. These were snapped one after the other and later stitched into the final image. Since parts of the final picture were taken at different times, some unfortunate folks who were moving across the boundary of two stitched images lost appendages. :)

Last edited:

My guess is the final "gigapixel" image is a composite of many smaller images... probably take with a normal xx megapixel camera.

That's exactly what it is. You can see stitching inconsistencies in other places as well, eg. the crane.

In which city was the photograph taken?
http://triton.tpd.tno.nl/gigazoom/Delft2.htm: I know .nl corresponds to the Netherlands. My guess would be that Delft is the name of the city. It’s on a map, so that’s a good sign. :)

I did a search and found out this is a 2500 megapixel image. Here’s some info:

Dutch research institute TNO has unveiled what it believes is the largest digital photograph in the world. The image contains 2.5 gigapixels or 7.5 gigabyte worth of data. It is composed of 600 single images shot by a computer-controlled pan-tilt unit in 7 second intervals. Afterwards, all photos where stiched together using the capacity of 5 high-end pc's in about 24 hours time.
I think the resolution is about 80,000 x 30,000 pixels. I thought about this for a while, but could not really put it in perspective until I realized that, in order to display the image in its native resolution, you’d need an grid of about 1200 HDTVs. :eek:

Ojas said:
I thought about this for a while, but could not really put it in perspective until I realized that, in order to display the image in its native resolution, you’d need an grid of about 1200 HDTVs. :eek:
Holy Bat-Cam! That pic really is amazing. For some reason, my puter at work had problems refreshing the image. I looked on my laptop when I got home and it blew me away. I will not mention what is taking place in a certain window. Don't want to be referred to as a peeking KGP agent. :biggrin:

Yup, that was taken in Delft, just around the corner for me.
Looks like it was shot on the roof of one of the TNO buildings.
Delft is well known for the TNO and their technical universities, which are regarded as the best around our planet.
TNO itself is an knowledge and innovations centre which come up with some remarkable stuff so now and then.

TNO (US)

Back