Get me off that mountain !!!

I am going to buy my nsx (yea!!!) this thursday in Tobihana PA which has alot of snow on the ground (boo!!) I am going to drive it back to VA where I live and where the snow has pretty much melted off all of the roads (yeaaa!).....

What should I do about the drive.

1 buys snow tires that I will never use again...ever..in my life ........and junk up my garage.. aka Nina's(nsx now has a name) room!!??

2 buy some nylon rope/chain for the wheels/tires and drive 35 till I get off that damn mountain!

3 drive 5 miles an hour with my expedition behind me the whole way....till I getout of the snow ...

4 Make my wife jog by the car while I ease it down ...::snicker::..

help!!

Pay a flatbed tow truck to tow it down the mountain, than drive it home.

Have fun and welcome to the Prime.

Wait til the snow melts?

Enclosed carrier.

Even without snow, the road treatment products will still cover the surface of the roads.... as they do here in VA. You do not want them turning the surface of your car into a solid film of salt and sand. Let alone the paint, but the entire undercarriage will be a mess which will take you a month to adequately clean (and that's if you have a lift).

I'd suggest either holding off until the roads are clean or enclosed transport as well.

Buy snow tires and then sell them to me super cheap....that is your best plan. :D ;)

I'm going to check to see what the tires are going to run me I might be going that route.....::prayer::..Please Father, let some kind soul by these tires from me.

Oh and by the way ......THERE IS KNOW WAY I AM WAITING

do you see my uesr name ?...I will force my will upon the world!!!!!

reminds me of when I bought my NSX. I flew to VA to buy mine and it was snowing so bad my first flight was cancelled, lucikly i found another flight and drove it home from VA to NJ. Best ride of my life, although going over 40 wasnt in too smart. :biggrin:

I paid $1,500 to get mine from Cali to Nebraska. Enclosed, single car trailer. Mine only has 25K miles so that was an issue. I would not drive it in the snow if I were buying it.

isellpower said:
I paid $1,500 to get mine from Cali to Nebraska. Enclosed, single car trailer. Mine only has 25K miles so that was an issue. I would not drive it in the snow if I were buying it.

Out of curiosity, why was the 25,000 miles an issue?? :confused:

Meeyatch1 said:

It wasn't broken in yet :wink:

Meeyatch1 said:

Didn't want to put 1,300 miles on a low mileage car. Do you really think mileage doesn't matter? Compare the price of a 100K mile car and a 25K mile car.

Knukle Head said:
What should I do about the drive.
You've left out some useful information .. like (1) what year the car is (to get an idea of value); (2) what size wheels does it currently have on it; (3) what kind of tires and how much tread is left.

If the answer to #1 is "new, big $, and in pristine condition", then I'd definitely lean toward trailering it. If the answer is "older and future daily driver", then driving might be an acceptable option.

If the answer to #2 is 17/18/19", then you're going to have difficulty finding winter tires (and wheels if you go that route) and they're going to cost a bundle. If you can find (or someone will loan you) a set of 15/16" OEM rims, that will be your cheapest if they'll fit on your pre-94 ride. Also, 60 series winter tires will do just fine and cost you a lot less...unless you plan to use them again often and are concerned about the non-OEM look.

If the answer to #3 is 'not much', don't even think of trying it .. it's not worth the risk at any speed in my opinion. Trailer to dry payment at a minimum. I have driven my NSX for short distances on packed snow in sub-zero temps with 'performance tires' ... I was impressed with the car's OEM combination of TCS, limited slip diff, and rear weight bias and it's ability to accelerate but you couldn't turn worth sh*t so consider that if you're planning to be on any kind of winding road.
Knukle Head said:
1 buys snow tires that I will never use again...ever..in my life ........and junk up my garage.. aka Nina's(nsx now has a name) room!!??
See comments above. If you can find them and they'll fit, a set of 15/16" OEM 'track quality' rims will run you probably $300-$400 and 4 x 60 series winter tires will probably cost $500-600 installed so you're probably looking at >$750 for something you think you'll use only once .. maybe slightly less if you intend to install on the car's existing rims ... granted, you may be able to resell them but if not, I'm guessing this is still considerably more than trailering or flatbedding to dry payment.
Knukle Head said:
2 buy some nylon rope/chain for the wheels/tires and drive 35 till I get off that damn mountain!
I don't have any experience with any kind of temporary use rope/chain ... that might be a solution on ice and at low speeds but I don't think they'll work that well in deep snow. By the way, I think stock ground clearance is about 4.5" so if the car has been lowered, or if the snow at your pickup point is deeper than that, that's another vote for trailering
Knukle Head said:
3 drive 5 miles an hour with my expedition behind me the whole way....till I getout of the snow ...
Do you mean 'expedition' as in the Ford SUV or do you mean as in "all the people that are going to be backed up on the road behind you? If it's the former, I'd rent a trailer as suggested in a previous post. If it's the latter, and for any significant distance, you're going to be encouraging a lot of road rage; encouraging dangerous pass attempts; etc ... all of which increase the risk of accidents.

You've probably waited a long time for this moment. Don't cheap out and do something stupid you'll regret later. Good luck.

isellpower said:
Didn't want to put 1,300 miles on a low mileage car. Do you really think mileage doesn't matter? Compare the price of a 100K mile car and a 25K mile car.

I guess this is true for some. But I dont think I could put a price tag on the joy Ive had puting 164,000 miles on my car. And my car looks better than the day i bought it. :cool:

Knukle Head I think I know which car you have purchased. Did you check autocheck or carfax because I believe their may be a serious problem. PM me if you want or just run the carfax/autocheck. Did you look at the car yet?

isellpower said:

Calm down my friend....as a matter of fact, no, mileage does not matter TO ME!! I could care less about price, as I buy my cars for fun, not for investment. What is the good in buying a car you are afraid to drive? :confused:

But back on topic......lets figure out how to get this guys new NSX to him. :D

loNfastNSX said:
I guess this is true for some. But I dont think I could put a price tag on the joy Ive had puting 164,000 miles on my car. And my car looks better than the day i bought it. :cool:

That is what I am talking about!! Good job!! :)

isellpower said:
Didn't want to put 1,300 miles on a low mileage car.
At 25K miles, 1300 miles isn't going to make a significant difference to its market value; maybe a hundred bucks or so. Maybe if it were TRULY a low mileage car - meaning, 10K miles or less - but not at 25K, which is below-average mileage, but not low mileage.

isellpower said:
Do you really think mileage doesn't matter?
It matters, but not a lot - not at 25K miles.

isellpower said:
Compare the price of a 100K mile car and a 25K mile car.
All else being equal, the difference in price between a '91 with 25K miles and an otherwise similar '91 with 100K miles is probably around $5-6K, which, at around 7 to 8 cents a mile, is really not a lot of money (and is probably not all that different from the difference in price between two Accords with that same mileage differential).

Unlike some other exotics (e.g. Ferrari), mileage is really NOT very important to the market value of an NSX. The lesson you can draw from this is - if you're buying an NSX, a lower mileage one is a better value than a higher mileage one - and if you already have an NSX, don't be afraid to drive it!

nsxtasy said:
The lesson you can draw from this is - if you're buying an NSX, a lower mileage one is a better value than a higher mileage one - and if you already have an NSX, don't be afraid to drive it!
Well put.

Knukle Head, congrats and enjoy the new wheels!

nsxtasy said:
At 25K miles, 1300 miles isn't going to make a significant difference to its market value; maybe a hundred bucks or so. Maybe if it were TRULY a low mileage car - meaning, 10K miles or less - but not at 25K, which is below-average mileage, but not low mileage.

It matters, but not a lot - not at 25K miles.

All else being equal, the difference in price between a '91 with 25K miles and an otherwise similar '91 with 100K miles is probably around $5-6K, which, at around 7 to 8 cents a mile, is really not a lot of money (and is probably not all that different from the difference in price between two Accords with that same mileage differential).

Unlike some other exotics (e.g. Ferrari), mileage is really NOT very important to the market value of an NSX. The lesson you can draw from this is - if you're buying an NSX, a lower mileage one is a better value than a higher mileage one - and if you already have an NSX, don't be afraid to drive it!

My Viper has 6K miles, NSX 25K miles, H2 12K miles. When combined I drive the 3 quite a bit, weather permitting on the 2 cars. I must disagree with your take on the price difference between 25K and 100K mile cars. When I was looking for my 94 a 100K mile plus car was easy to find in the 25-27K range. Cars with 25-50K miles were in the high 30's. So a difference of around 10K.
That is why I recommend he ship the car and avoid all those boring miles of interstate driving. Lets face it, staring at a snow covered interstate for 6-8 hours does not sound like fun.

If 100K and up mileage is nothing for an NSX, how could 25K not be considered low mileage?

Meeyatch1 said:
Calm down my friend....as a matter of fact, no, mileage does not matter TO ME!! I could care less about price, as I buy my cars for fun, not for investment. What is the good in buying a car you are afraid to drive? :confused:

But back on topic......lets figure out how to get this guys new NSX to him. :D

Sorry, I should have put a :smile: on my reply as I was expecting a question similar to that. Cars are not an investment, but I don't keep one for very long and I am just concerned about resale. I think he should have it shipped to save himself the time if nothing else.

isellpower said:
Sorry, I should have put a :smile: on my reply as I was expecting a question similar to that. Cars are not an investment, but I don't keep one for very long and I am just concerned about resale. I think he should have it shipped to save himself the time if nothing else.

Hi

Going to get the NSX yourself is also very importent. I drove my NSX from Switzerland to north Norway and had a _very_ good time.

I was lucky with the weather, but you never now.

I would try to borrow a set and drive home.

Regards

Back