Genesis Coupe vs 370Z

so many people think the Genesis V6 is bang for buck, but after doing my research, I think the 370Z is more bang for buck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX-wgjIqyB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Po7XrQYIE

Price:
370Z-$29,930-$37,460
http://www.nissanusa.com/zcoupe/#/models/
Genesis V6 model-price range $25,000-$31,000
http://www.nissanusa.com/zcoupe/#/models/

So if you have enough money to buy the Genesis Track, it's cheaper to buy a standard 370Z.

0-60mph:
370Z-5.1 seconds ( 4.9 sec with 1 foot roll out)
Genesis-6.4 seconds (6.1 sec with 1 foot roll out)

1/4 mile:
370Z-13.4 [email protected]
Genesis-14.5 [email protected]

Slalom:
370Z-68.9mph
Genesis-68.2mph

Braking distance from 60mph:
370Z-101 feet
Genesis-111 feet

so yeah, for only like few thousand $ difference, I think the 370Z is better deal. What do you think?

When comparing those two trim levels I completely agree, that said..

If I were to compare, I would be comparing the genesis coupe 2.0t Track instead of the V6 track. The 2.0t track is much cheaper than the V6 model, and there are a few of them pushing over 350whp already with bolt on turbo upgrades.

I think that if you plan on modding, the genesis 2.0t track model becomes a fairly good bargain compared to the 370z

Not to throw a fly in the ointment but why is this car considered such a great deal? Is it because it's RWD?

Also why is it considered cheap when for all it's hp an Accord coupe is faster:confused:

Actually they turn in pretty similar number except for braking but then again the Accord coupe doesn't have brembos.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews..._coupe_ex_l_v_6_short_take_road_test/(page)/1

vs

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews..._hyundai_genesis_coupe_3_8_road_test/(page)/1

I love hondas and I sell them for living...
go watch that edmunds clip again, bet you can't do that in an Accord!:biggrin:

Not to throw a fly in the ointment but why is this car considered such a great deal? Is it because it's RWD?

Also why is it considered cheap when for all it's hp an Accord coupe is faster:confused:

Actually they turn in pretty similar number except for braking but then again the Accord coupe doesn't have brembos.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews..._coupe_ex_l_v_6_short_take_road_test/(page)/1

vs

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews..._hyundai_genesis_coupe_3_8_road_test/(page)/1

Yeah, surprised by this as well. My Accord is heavier and has less hp yet better 0-60 time than the Genesis. RWD is the novelty and if I didn't need FWD for half the year I'd look at it.

Yeah, surprised by this as well. My Accord is heavier and has less hp yet better 0-60 time than the Genesis. RWD is the novelty and if I didn't need FWD for half the year I'd look at it.

What do you "need" FWD for? Too scared of the snow in a RWD car? :tongue:

I'd take the 2.0T Genesis. Up here in Canada, we get raped on pricing. I can get a 2.0T Track for around 30 grand, whereas the 370Z comes to over 45 grand for a well optioned one. I looked at both of them on Friday night and love the way the Z looks though; it's dead sexy.

Last edited:
What do you "need" FWD for? Too scared of the snow in a RWD car? :tongue:

LOL Says Mr Evo:tongue:

I drive my S2K in the snow with snow tires and VSA even then there's always a couple of "butt clenchers" so I don't blame Dr Honda

I agree that new is looking pretty sexy and has some nice tech. The hardest thing for me is with the exception of the higher lateral G's the Z's performance is a dead ringer for the E46 M3 which has a trunk and decent size back seat.

It's the turbo 4 Genesis coupe that's going to be the best bang for the buck. I hear they're already putting down 350 at the wheels with a little more boost.

Automotive journalists for the tuner magainzes are idiots, if you haven't figured that out yet.

:smile:

It's not from Tuner magazines, and as a matter of fact I try to read every now and then something other than American magazines (to be quite honest they do not have the best journalists) and check out some British material... They too are comparing it to Porsches and cars of that caliber.

The Hyundai seems like a fantastic representation of Korean Muscle... The 370Z is more refined, aside from being a quicker car in a straight line, it's also a better overall car, be it built quality, speed, handling, interior / exterior, engine, etc.

It's not from Tuner magazines, and as a matter of fact I try to read every now and then something other than American magazines (to be quite honest they do not have the best journalists) and check out some British material... They too are comparing it to Porsches and cars of that caliber.

The Hyundai seems like a fantastic representation of Korean Muscle... The 370Z is more refined, aside from being a quicker car in a straight line, it's also a better overall car, be it built quality, speed, handling, interior / exterior, engine, etc.

2009 Nissan 370Z - review by John Hudak

Introduction

Not amazingly for 2009, the cockroach is back!! If you've never found yourself at a traffic light with an exterminator spraying down your car with noxious chemicals, then you've never owned a Nissan Z. Carrying on the tradition while lowering the industry performance bar, the 370Z comes with tons and tons of crap you don't need and very few things you do.

Power Train

The 370Z is a relatively incremental improvement over the 350Z. They took it from a 3.5 to a 3.7L V6, which is interesting because for all we care they could have stuffed the Titan V8 in their... the last thing it really needed was more power. However, the increase in torque will be appreciated by those with huge stereos whom demand instant throttle response between traffic lights.

Chassis

Seeing as how the original 350Z chassis was designed to be shared with a truck; the fact that they finally did something about that is not really a favor. It's built by Nissan, which automatically means their are 190lbs of stamped steel brackets you don't need.

Interior

Still a piece of injection molded crap. The rest of the accents and needless instrumentation clutter... well similar to most cars with lack luster sales in their final years.... as we know it's like kind of like polishing off a turd. You can give it eyes, and a hat... but it still smells.

Road-test

If you thought it got piss poor fuel economy on the highway before, this isn't going to be an improvement. Noise? Definitely. Cargo space? Wasted. Sound? Nasal.

Now, we've been told by our readers that you could compare it to a Cayman S, but then again we've yet to find a German car buyer that had double the money burning a hole in his pocket do an about face; and instead decide to spend half as much on Japanese- so we won't bother.

Track-test

Having bought and raced a 350Z last year, I can tell you what exactly is needed to make a 350Z go fast around a race track. It starts with a tube frame chassis followed by a fiberglass body that just looks like a 350Z. Nothing short of this complete engineering transformation is going to really do a whole lot for you.

Steering- bites and then goes completely numb. Throttle, still sloppy. Differential, still a problem. Plan on a second mortgage to pay for brake pads and tires.

Safety

Lots of new and exciting government mandated crap you'll have to strip out and sell.

Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options

Street pimp, Super Street Pimp, and Mac Daddy trims are all still available.

Last edited:
370z is a bargain for the car.....Wait two years and buy the genesis for 15k......I hope so I am wanting to buy the 4door model....Loaded around 38-42k in two years 22k? :biggrin:

2009 Nissan 370Z - review by John Hudak

Since that review seemed so incredibly biased, I googled the name "John Hudak" to see where he writes, who is he, etc.. But no luck, I couldn't even find the review that you posted. Could you refer me to a site?

Body Styles, Trim Levels, and Options

Street pimp, Super Street Pimp, and Mac Daddy trims are all still available.

Funny. But I need to read an article from someone who's not a total douche...

From Car and Driver:

But ample power and a serious sports-car skill set trump those concerns. As does aggressive styling that looks even more purposeful than that of the 350Z. Add a gorgeous interior that maintains the fighter-cockpit feel of the 350 but with much better materials. Improved storage, including the addition of a glove box. Seats rivaling the BMW’s for support and comfort.

It’s a package that’s hard to resist, particularly with the lowest base price in this group and an as-tested ticket that includes a gotta-have array of goodies. The best sports car on the planet for the money? Damn right.

From EVO magazine:

One last heel-less downshift and all too soon our first dalliance with the 370Z is over. As we head back over the bridge away from ‘Koblenz’ towards Japan and bears and hundreds of coach journeys and flights and raw chicken (yes, really), I’m already eagerly anticipating another, longer go in the latest Zed-car. I was doubtful when they said that they wanted to take on the Cayman, but now I’ve driven the 370Z I think Porsche might well have a fight on its hands.

From Road and Track, 370Z vs Cayman:

Slideshow >>

Here's the million-dollar question: "Is it worth it?" What do you get for twice the money of a 370Z? More power? Nope. A more stylish interior? Not quite. A faster lap time? Sorry.

So did the Cayman S win this battle? According to our ratings and test numbers, it sent the 370Z back home. But is the Cayman S worth nearly twice the price of a 370Z? Based purely on performance, no. The lap times are pretty close and the handling and acceleration numbers relatively comparable. If you had to pinch pennies to afford one of these cars, the Z makes by far more sense. But if you're well-off, and put an intangible value on overall refinement, powerplant/chassis harmony and an illustrious motorsports legacy, well, the choice is easy.

It's pretty easy to find articles online backing either point of view :wink:

Since that review seemed so incredibly biased, I googled the name "John Hudak" to see where he writes, who is he, etc.. But no luck, I couldn't even find the review that you posted. Could you refer me to a site?

Nope. You'll only find my exclusive car reviews on NSXPRIME in the off-topic area. Special site feature. :wink:

Funny. But I need to read an article from someone who's not a total douche...

Oh- you mean by someone that hasn't owned one before but is paid to spend all their desk time writing about it, while trying to not pee anyone off, so they can continue to get cars and advertisers.... or did you mean by someone whom has a comparable personality to Tanner Foust... ???

From Car and Driver:
From EVO magazine:
From Road and Track, 370Z vs Cayman:

I thought you were going to say from a T2 or Grand-Am National Champ. Someone with something valuable to add as to the performance of the vehicle. But no go. Then it's back to comparing Z's to Cayman S's :rolleyes:

It's pretty easy to find articles online backing either point of view :wink:

The only opinion that counts after owning one is your own. Buy one. :tongue:

Nope. You'll only find my exclusive car reviews on NSXPRIME in the off-topic area. Special site feature.

lol sorry... didn't mean to offend you, I had no idea it was you.

I thought you were going to say from a T2 or Grand-Am National Champ. Someone with something valuable to add as to the performance of the vehicle. But no go. Then it's back to comparing Z's to Cayman S's

And the review you posted was written by... erhmm... yourself? :rolleyes:

The only opinion that counts after owning one is your own. Buy one.

Believe it or not I'm not a big fan of it. I participated in this thread to point out that it was a car that stands well-above a Hyundai Genesis Coupe... You, on the other hand, delivered a biased review. I'm sorry man, but I get the feeling you have some personal hate against Nissans or the 370 itself. Seriously, NOTHING good to say? Jesus, you even criticize cargo space! on a sports car?

The whole "Cayman vs 370Z" comparison comes from the fact that magazines look for cars with similar performance and then write reviews and have them race each other... Considering that a whole lot of magazines are using the Cayman S instead of a rubbish Mustang GT should tell you something.

Remember, is not a hand-built, mid-engined, NSX... but you don't have to pay $90k to get one! Remember that a base model is at $35k man, you get a hell of a car for the money... That's of course IMO.

Back