Gauge fittment

But again, I'll be plenty fascinated to see it in some else's car.
SJS

Right there with ya, but bring your laptop and with a wireless network card installed you can get your data out of the car from 150 ft away and eat a hotdog without a chance of getting any crumbs in the car. ;)

You just cant beat the tech, no matter how hard you try there is always a more complicated solution to a simple problem. :D

Dave

Steve, this is how it started for me, I was thinking how obserd, no one needs a computer in their car, then the gadget factor kicks in and the possibilities are endless. Will it work? YES, reliably? Maybe (after all its windows), Do you need it? NO.

As for the battery drain, Key OFF = system shutdown, very little draw in standby, about the same as the clock in standby, but a small 4 amp batt like the one used for backup of the alarm could be used and then no draw on main batt untill car started. 12vdc 4amp Batt aprox 2 lbs.

One other cool thing, if you have a web enabled cell phone, you can have full internet access while on the road, you could be the first to introduce an NSX to a computer virus.

OK Dave, we’ve gone this far, so humor me a bit longer. If it shuts down with the ignition then how/when do you tell it to name and save the log files? Seems like you need to break out a keyboard right then before turning it off and I could just as easily plug in my laptop. As for changing MAPs or pulling down the logs via WiFi while munching on some BBQ, the ignition needs to be left in the run position to communicate with the ECU so you tend to dump logs and maps then work off-line except when tuning on-the-fly.

I get the idea of all the other uses of course, and even without the nav and audio parts a totally flexible screen for monitoring sensors is plenty tempting, but I think most of it will be used so rarely that it will just be a nuisance and eyesore most of the time.

On the other hand, I like to think I’m somewhat open minded, so don’t hold it against me if I like what I see in your car or Gene’s and get one for myself. :D

I have not put one in but, as I understand the power up/down is selectable by the user, the key off tells the system to shut down not completely power off, you can use wake up on LAN features to turn the system on without ever having to put the key in and then shutdown over the LAN as well. Keyboards and mouse is not needed unless you plan on doing alot of typing and then they can be wireless as well, the screen is touchscreen so you will use your finger like a mouse just like the factory NAV systems. A softtouch keyboard is also available for you to type with on screen using your finger. ( I only use two fingers to type anyway so not a big deal for me )

This may not be the perfect answer but it does have some merit and for the right guy in the right car this could be a solution.

will I out one in my car, undecided. since I cannot make up my mind about the FI anyway it is to early for me to say. But if I had an AEM and 550HP and I could change maps at will and not have to lug a laptop, then I am thinking I would do it, especially if the OEM head unit was dead or dying. I really do not care about the MP3 or DVD or Nav, but since they are sort of included why not.

Dave

sjs said:

On the other hand, I like to think I’m somewhat open minded, so don’t hold it against me if I like what I see in your car or Gene’s and get one for myself. :D
Funny how we can live both on the cutting edge of technology yet not like it in some areas. There are comprimises in everything. :D

As their touch screens stand, they would not fit the Nav Pod. The Nav Pod mountable dimensions are 7-1/4 x 4, and the smallest touch screen is 7-3/4 x 5. The screen could be removed from the frame and then mount the hard buttons somewhere else, but even then it might be a tight fit. Waiting to hear back on what just the screen dimensions are. If it won't fit I guess another VGA touch screen could be sourced, so we will see.

Bellow is a pic from the company of one of the guys cars (some kind of Honda) where he is doing much the same thing. Resolution not great as it was a pic phone image but you get the idea.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Or you could do this...

oilgauges.JPG

Just read them in the rear view mirror and look for the position of the needles. Sensor lines are short, no need to butcher the interior, installation in 1/2 hour. Easy!

-Ed
www.nsxbuilder.com

Back