Future Corvette C8 Looks Really Familiar

Reading about the possible next generation Corvette (after the scheduled C7) reminds me a car we are all familiar with introduced in the early 90's by Honda.

That [the C7] will be the last of the traditional, old-style Corvettes,” said a senior GM representative to AutoWeek. Reportedly under consideration for the C8 is a light-weight aluminum platform with a mid-engine layout. It may also be smaller in size and could even use a V6 engine. That might sound crazy, but if a V6 is planned, you can expect a few turbochargers to also be a part of the package.

Reading about the possible next generation Corvette (after the scheduled C7) reminds me a car we are all familiar with introduced in the early 90's by Honda.

That [the C7] will be the last of the traditional, old-style Corvettes,” said a senior GM representative to AutoWeek. Reportedly under consideration for the C8 is a light-weight aluminum platform with a mid-engine layout. It may also be smaller in size and could even use a V6 engine. That might sound crazy, but if a V6 is planned, you can expect a few turbochargers to also be a part of the package.

Not a fan of the design, maybe it's just the front headlights...that would be something if the next "vette" is mid engine and the next "supercar" out of Honda is front engine....

Ugh, look how long that hood line is. Other than that, oh the irony! I can hear the Corvette heads cringing about a v-6 already

Think your NSX gets mistaken for a Corvette a lot right now? Just wait until the C8 comes out.

I remember back in the late '80's, there was a mid-engine Corvette concept car that made the show circuit. I remember seeing it at the Ruan Grand Prix in Des Moines, IA back in '88 (IIRC). Anyone else remember it?
It was a cool idea but the MR configuration was too expensive to mass-produce then, I wonder if it still would be...

Every time a new vette is coming out there is always a rumor that it will be mid engine. It hasn't changed in 57 years, I am certain the C7/8 won't screw with the formula. V8...rear drive.....2 seats. About the most I could see them stretch is to do a hybrid version. It does sound like they are aiming to make it a smaller car though as I have read that elsewhere, which is great.

Last edited:
Think your NSX gets mistaken for a Corvette a lot right now? Just wait until the C8 comes out.

lol doh!

"Hey man, is that the new vette?" me: "You bet your ass it is." (because at this point I will have given up)
:smile:

Somewhere in a parallel universe, there are ppl on an NSX forum touting the wonders of a big 10 cylinder front engine car (new NSX that we'll never see) and ppl on a Vette forum all over small mid-engine layouts....I think it would be a cool place to visit.

Not a fan of the design, maybe it's just the front headlights...

Im not a fan either, but those headlights are absolutely horrible. It looks like a car that a was designed for a batman mopvie or something.

attachment.php

I agree Eyecandy.
You can see where hey are getting inspiration for today's designs.
Looks like a Transformer.

Last edited:
Is that a vette or a caddy? Or maybe a bastardized combo.....either way gm aint got the balls to make it.:mad:

I don't like it but if they built a couple thousand a year it might be interesting. Build 10 million a year and it's a vette.

Every time a new vette is coming out there is always a rumor that it will be mid engine. It hasn't changed in 57 years, I am certain the C7/8 won't screw with the formula. V8...rear drive.....2 seats. About the most I could see them stretch is to do a hybrid version. It does sound like they are aiming to make it a smaller car though as I have read that elsewhere, which is great.

Agreed...

Although I would love to see a mid-engine Corvette.

I like how they cleaned up the design from the above Transformer corvette. That to me looked hideous.

Still GM won't make it. If they did decide to make a mid-engined vette, then that would be the first vette I'd ever consider.

Last edited:
Folks, vettes are front mid-engine already.

Just like M3, RX7, 550 maranello and so forth.

I think u mean to say mid rear......

He's right. People always seem to forget that.

Here's what a rear mid engine Corvette might look like :biggrin::

MidEng4copy.jpg

makes sense...with the latest Z06 besting the old ZR1 how could the next ZR1 improve on the breed...up the boost? naaaaa......mid engine.......I will be interested to see if they abandon the front mid design all together or make two distinct vettes.

Back