Fully Built Turbo Nsx 800 + HP "Coming Soon"

Note to self, let off the gas at the end. Always wondered why Cody left off the gas at the end. I am assuming that once you hit these numbers, that you are banned? How would they know on the tech inspection that your car could do these kind of numbers, I am talking about a turbo NSX.

Yes, I ran into that issue with my RX7. I was on the brakes hard in the included video to keep from hitting 9's. But still, I wasn't fooling anyone. I was promptly chased down and kicked out.

Alot depends on your local tech. Some are stricter than others.

10.0 @ 119

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_qgtDSEd5oE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MR Bozo 1 you said it all right here as good as it can be explained Florida is very lenient on their track rules here .The track guys are pretty cool they will let me run No Times if i do make it into the 9s then once we are dialed in we will go run 1 pass for the video.

MR Bozo 1 Quote: goal is to run 9.99 and once you run your 9.99 and have the time slip your job is over. This is correct my buddy has a eclipse & they let him run no times all night long making passes from 8.8 in the 1/4 to very low 9s everyone here should move to Florida LOL then you wont have so many strict rules & party more.

Next I'm probably the poorest Nsx owner on this site & by no means could I afford to spend what most of you are thinking I'm investing to go this fast .My first builds with the BBSC was fully built on the Garage Sale section of this site Thank you prime & everyone here that has helped me along the way with both advise & parts.I got lucky selling my BBSC kit & was offered top dollar for my kit $6000.00 to be exact.This gave me the opportunity to start my Turbo venture .My engine was already built prior to the Turbo set up so apart from that investment I have around $12,000 invested now for a full Custom Turbo set up that should produce over 800 hp.My total investment with everything is approximately $22,000 this is for everything top of the line parts.

Also no $5000.00 dollar brake kit needed to run at our track although it will be a near future upgrade Eac was correct about the roll bar the one for sale on the forum is worthless & I wouldn't put it in my car if it was free. As stated above the Techs don't know what your car runs so they wont deny you entry after you make your 1st passes then they will say something.They will just let you slide running no times.

This car just because you have 800 hp does not mean you cant drive around normal as a daily yea your going to be wasting more gas but that's why I'm on E85 .I wont be constantly beating on the car this will only be once or twice a week on race days.

So as MR Bozo1 stated long as my tranny or axles dont snap we should be able to sneak in a good official pass for the video then the techs wont even kick me out they will just send me back to no times .

OK guys enough of the naysayers. This is how it is. If you run faster than 11.5 you must have a 6-point cage/roll bar. If you run 9.99 or quicker all the rules change significantly. Once you run 9.99 or faster EAC stated all the correct rules. But if your goal is to run 9.99 and once you run your 9.99 and have the time slip your job is over. They can Kick you off of the track if they want as long as you have your time slip. I believe if and when he runs in the nines,whether it is 9.99 or 9.1 he will have been the first to run in the nines and have bragging rights. He does not need suspension,brakes, and hopefully wont break his tranny or axles. You can go to test and tune at a drag strip, go through tech and have the car teched to run 11.5 no quicker. He can make some passes to the 1/8 mile and shut it down just like Cody did. The hardest part of drag racing is the first 1/8 mile. I think for hiim to run in the 9's he will have to run a 1.4-1.5 60 foot and run the 1/8 mile in 6.3-6.5 sec @110 mph. Once he has this figured out he will just make a full pass at 9.99 or better, take his time slip and get kicked out. They will almost always give you your time slip unless you are a goof about it. It is very possible to have a nine second street car with today's technology, as I drive a 10 second street car that still has a stock motor and 130,000 miles on it.Let's get together and wish him the best and hope he hits this milestone because in a few years their will be quite i few 9 second NSX's, but hopefully this will be the first. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I saw a crazy ass RX7 run in the low 8's at Bradenton Motorsports. As I recall his 1/4 mile trap speeds were higher than most hyabusa's that night.
Claimed he had 1000 hp. I can tell you his car hooked up perfectly.
9.99 is doable in a sub 2800lb NSX.

Yes, I ran into that issue with my RX7. I was on the brakes hard in the included video to keep from hitting 9's. But still, I wasn't fooling anyone. I was promptly chased down and kicked out.

Alot depends on your local tech. Some are stricter than others.

10.0 @ 119

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_qgtDSEd5oE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Look nobody is saying it can't be done. They are just saying it's not easy nor cheap and a lot harder than you would initially think.

Look forget the physics and forget the hypotheticals. Just look at plain and simple common sense. If it was so easy to do, why hasn't anyone done it yet in over 20 years? There are plenty of 9 second Supras, S2000's, Evos, Civics, Vipers, Corvettes, Mustangs, STI's, etc. the list goes on and on. So why no NSX? I'm telling you it's a lot easier and less expensive to make a Civic get to 9 seconds than it is an NSX. Maybe it's the physics, maybe it's the lack of or high cost of parts, or both. The bottom line is that if it was that easy and cheap to do it, it would have been done by now.

Simple it hasn't been done because no one has tried. I haven't seen any very serious attempts at 9's. I'd hardly call the Factor X road car making a few passes a serious attempt at nines.

I'd say that 700whp would be a good number to shoot for to make a serious attempt at 9's with an NSX. How many NSX's have ever made 700whp? 4 maybe 5? There are dozens of s2000 with 700whp, and thousands of the other cars with the power to run 9's.

I could have a complete turbo setup with the BEST quality parts built for under 10k, including a Radium auto surge tank fuel setup with double pumper setup with lines, ID1000cc injectors and wiring and AEM EMS. Another 6-9k for built block, clutch and slicks. Labor would be additional. I would say it's inline with many other cars that have been in the 9's.

MR Bozo 1 you said it all right here as good as it can be explained Florida is very lenient on their track rules here .The track guys are pretty cool they will let me run No Times if i do make it into the 9s then once we are dialed in we will go run 1 pass for the video.

MR Bozo 1 Quote: goal is to run 9.99 and once you run your 9.99 and have the time slip your job is over. This is correct my buddy has a eclipse & they let him run no times all night long making passes from 8.8 in the 1/4 to very low 9s everyone here should move to Florida LOL then you wont have so many strict rules & party more.

Next I'm probably the poorest Nsx owner on this site & by no means could I afford to spend what most of you are thinking I'm investing to go this fast .My first builds with the BBSC was fully built on the Garage Sale section of this site Thank you prime & everyone here that has helped me along the way with both advise & parts.I got lucky selling my BBSC kit & was offered top dollar for my kit $6000.00 to be exact.This gave me the opportunity to start my Turbo venture .My engine was already built prior to the Turbo set up so apart from that investment I have around $12,000 invested now for a full Custom Turbo set up that should produce over 800 hp.My total investment with everything is approximately $22,000 this is for everything top of the line parts.

Also no $5000.00 dollar brake kit needed to run at our track although it will be a near future upgrade Eac was correct about the roll bar the one for sale on the forum is worthless & I wouldn't put it in my car if it was free. As stated above the Techs don't know what your car runs so they wont deny you entry after you make your 1st passes then they will say something.They will just let you slide running no times.

This car just because you have 800 hp does not mean you cant drive around normal as a daily yea your going to be wasting more gas but that's why I'm on E85 .I wont be constantly beating on the car this will only be once or twice a week on race days.

So as MR Bozo1 stated long as my tranny or axles dont snap we should be able to sneak in a good official pass for the video then the techs wont even kick me out they will just send me back to no times .

That's what we did in the s2k. Ran the stock trans and hoped it held together for a pass or 2 before making a huge $10k jump to a supra transmission.

Simple it hasn't been done because no one has tried. I haven't seen any very serious attempts at 9's. I'd hardly call the Factor X road car making a few passes a serious attempt at nines.

I'd say that 700whp would be a good number to shoot for to make a serious attempt at 9's with an NSX. How many NSX's have ever made 700whp? 4 maybe 5? There are dozens of s2000 with 700whp, and thousands of the other cars with the power to run 9's.

I could have a complete turbo setup with the BEST quality parts built for under 10k, including a Radium auto surge tank fuel setup with double pumper setup with lines, ID1000cc injectors and wiring and AEM EMS. Another 6-9k for built block, clutch and slicks. Labor would be additional. I would say it's inline with many other cars that have been in the 9's.

A fully built motor by itself will cost close to $15k. Add another $2500 for a clutch......you aren't building a civic or s2k.....wake up and stop kidding yourself.

AEM $1600
1000 cc injectors $680
Fuel system from LoveFab $1100

A fully built motor by itself will cost close to $15k. Add another $2500 for a clutch......you aren't building a civic or s2k.....wake up and stop kidding yourself.

AEM $1600
1000 cc injectors $680

The 10k I said above includes the AEM EMS, injectors and fuel pump setup.

15k for a built motor? I wouldn't pay Jesus Christ 15k to build me a motor. Also I said built block not fully built motor. 700whp would be fine on the stock heads. I'm not sure where you get prices from but your numbers are at least double and often triple from real world numbers. I used to price custom turbo setups, and engine builds every day.

I've got a spreadsheet from my motor and turbo builds that I modified for the 9 second goals. Here is a break down what I think would be needed for a 9 second setup using the best quality parts available at real world prices:

$5500-Motor total
-Benson sleeves (could save 1500 and attempt to run stock sleeves)
-CP Pistons,Pauter Rods
-ARP head studs
-OEM 3.2 head gaskets, OEM bearings, OEM oil pump (Add $150 for SOS high volume pump)
-OEM Timing belt, and verious other seals etc.

$9825-Turbo kit with Fuel and management total
-BorgWarner 9180 turbo with oil lines and fittings
-Manifolds (Possibly save 1200 here if you have a good set of headers already)
-Y Pipe from manifolds to turbocharger
-Custom A2W intercooler with Garrett 1000hp core,A2W Heat exchanger, lines, pump and reservior
-Custom Muffler setup with downpipe, dumptube and hangar to hold everying + turbo
-Tial 44mm MVR Wastegate, Q BOV
-Aluminum Charge piping with all couplers and clamps, and intake for turbo
-AEM EMS, 1000cc injectors
-Radium Auto billet surge tank with double pumper setup. Including all wiring and fuel lines necessary

$3400-Drivetrain Total
-SOS Twin Carbon Clutch
-Slick setup

$18725 For top quality parts, no shortcuts. If you have the capabilities of assembling your own motor, and installing your own kit I would expect this to fall under 20k with any other odds and ends that I'm sure I forgot, and possibly under 16k with good deals.

I agree 100% these prices you guys are talking about is because your getting ripped off in the labor department .If you add up all the Top of the Line parts to put together a monster custom turbo kit .It will still be under $11,000 & under $11,000 for a full built motor .No head work or cams as not really required IMO

Anyone thinking of spending these ridiculous crazy prices send us your car & we will show you how its done for almost half of what others are charging
I have heard of a few people in here spending nearly 50,000 to make around 600 + hp or 14,000 for a turbo kit that only puts out around 500 hp comes with the most basic parts compared to what you can get if you piece together the kit your self .I have such a long list to put together for the build thread its not even funny.I will go into great detail their I'm sure most of you will be shocked when you see all the custom modifications that were done including re modifying already high end after market parts & still did not exceed 11,000

The 10k I said above includes the AEM EMS, injectors and fuel pump setup.

15k for a built motor? I wouldn't pay Jesus Christ 15k to build me a motor. Also I said built block not fully built motor. 700whp would be fine on the stock heads. I'm not sure where you get prices from but your numbers are at least double and often triple from real world numbers. I used to price custom turbo setups, and engine builds every day.

I've got a spreadsheet from my motor and turbo builds that I modified for the 9 second goals. Here is a break down what I think would be needed for a 9 second setup using the best quality parts available at real world prices:

$5500-Motor total
-Benson sleeves (could save 1500 and attempt to run stock sleeves)
-CP Pistons,Pauter Rods
-ARP head studs
-OEM 3.2 head gaskets, OEM bearings, OEM oil pump (Add $150 for SOS high volume pump)
-OEM Timing belt, and verious other seals etc.

$9825-Turbo kit with Fuel and management total
-BorgWarner 9180 turbo with oil lines and fittings
-Manifolds (Possibly save 1200 here if you have a good set of headers already)
-Y Pipe from manifolds to turbocharger
-Custom A2W intercooler with Garrett 1000hp core,A2W Heat exchanger, lines, pump and reservior
-Custom Muffler setup with downpipe, dumptube and hangar to hold everying + turbo
-Tial 44mm MVR Wastegate, Q BOV
-Aluminum Charge piping with all couplers and clamps, and intake for turbo
-AEM EMS, 1000cc injectors
-Radium Auto billet surge tank with double pumper setup. Including all wiring and fuel lines necessary

$3400-Drivetrain Total
-SOS Twin Carbon Clutch
-Slick setup

$18725 For top quality parts, no shortcuts. If you have the capabilities of assembling your own motor, and installing your own kit I would expect this to fall under 20k with any other odds and ends that I'm sure I forgot, and possibly under 16k with good deals.

Last edited:
I think you should actually go ahead and build this ,save all your receipts, and prove me wrong. Might I add that anyone that looks through your list that has actually had a motor built or built an NSX motor capapble of this power level reliably could make a list of all the shortcuts you are either skimping on or just havent a clue about. I would, but its like clapping with one hand and im bored now. Good luck.

And on a final note......if you are only gonna make 800 wheel with 35lbs of boost.....you should prolly rethink your whole build.....just saying.

AEM $1600
1000 cc injectors $680

I agree with the others, your motor build cost is a bit high(including parts and labor). I've built enough NSX motors personally to know that number is too high for the HP he is shooting for. Not everything people do is necessary, there are a lot of "nice to have's" and "while we are in there" additions people do that are not needed.

I think you should actually go ahead and build this ,save all your receipts, and prove me wrong. Might I add that anyone that looks through your list that has actually had a motor built or built an NSX motor capapble of this power level reliably could make a list of all the shortcuts you are either skimping on or just havent a clue about. I would, but its like clapping with one hand and im bored now. Good luck.

Like my statement above, I don't think there is much missing to say he is cutting corners. I'd also guess that isn't a final list of items being touched/replaced.

And on a final note......if you are only gonna make 800 wheel with 35lbs of boost.....you should prolly rethink your whole build.....just saying.

"35lbs of boost" is not all equal. One turbo on 35lbs of boost can make 450whp, and another can make 1200whp. Your "only" statement is not accurate. It's a function of the size of the turbo and the CFM it produces.

Didn't the series 2 w/ TCS help any with traction?

:wink:

I don't think that the Series 2 has TCS. I think that you can do variable boost but I am not sure.

Benson sleeves are $1800 + shipping both ways.....ask me how I know. Onestep, your engine build list is way more accurate than hybridtheory but at $1700 labor for all this work.....@ $80 per hour, your motor would be removed,torn down, rebuilt and reinstalled in 21 hours.....not possible no matter how talented you think your shop is. My posts have not been made to discourage but in fact to enlighten you. Anyone that tells you you dont need brake upgrades to an 800hp car that will be daily driven is a complete moron. Anyone involved in any type of racing whether it be road racing or drag racing will tell you that suspension setup plays a very important role in your overall results. There is an old saying that a fool and their money are soon parted..........short cuts in building this car to the levels you are speaking of will achieve just that. Never time to do it right....always time to do it twice.

I will elaborate from my receipt from LoveFab :
Engine removal $720
Engine tear down $900
Benson Sleeves $2000.....price direct from Benson $1800
Carillo rods $1700
CP pistons $950
Machine work on heads $1300....that included a set of new oversize valves
Head gaskets $210
Assembly cost $3600
Bearings $799
Balancing $349
Oil $80
Coolant $40

Total 12648.00

I already had CT cam gears and SOS FI cams which would have added another $3k to the list.

My turbo which I believe is a full billet ball bearing 67mm is somewhere close to $2k alone
My fueling system which included twin pumps all new oversize lines and fittings was also an additional $1300.

Dont forget to add in an ATI super damper unless you plan to use a stock crankshaft pulley $700

My motor is well capable of handling 10k RPM and power in excess of 850hp with race fuel. At the end of the day my receipt reflects about a $30k price tag with turbo components and installation not including parts that I already had from previous build.........see above post for my worldy quotes of painful lessons learned from my experience not speculations.

In closing......can you get it for less?.........you always can. I got it for way less on my first two times around the FI block....but that just netted me out to where I am now. This is a forum, where people give each other advise, some good, some bad....take your pick, mine is realistic.

My original advise was on brakes/suspension.....Last time I checked my "ridiculous" prices on brake upgrades......Stoptech and Brembo being the most common,list out at around $5k for either. Topline Moton or Comptech is I believe $8k plus for racing applications but I only spent around $2200 for KW v3 myself.

NA1MT, forget it man, you are wasting your breath. I've given up on this thread after reading some of the most ridiculous comments. You do realize that those who are on the same page (you and I) have actually built and spent the money to build our NSX (and not S2000 or Civic or Supra or...) and we are arguing with people who are merely speculating and are talking in theory only because they haven't actually gone through the process.

At one point I was trying give helpful advice based on my own personal experience and successes and failures. But I realized it's a complete waste of time. It was a good reminder why I don't spend anymore time in these parts of the theads anymore.

and Elite.....if you can build my motor for under $10k using all the same compenents as I have.....shoot me a PM cause I have an extra short block with blown ringlands I need rebuilt.

NA1MT, forget it man, you are wasting your breath. I've given up on this thread after reading some of the most ridiculous comments. You do realize that those who are on the same page (you and I) have actually built and spent the money to build our NSX (and not S2000 or Civic or Supra or...) and we are arguing with people who are merely speculating and are talking in theory only because they haven't actually gone through the process.

At one point I was trying give helpful advice based on my own personal experience and successes and failures. But I realized it's a complete waste of time. It was a good reminder why I don't spend anymore time in these parts of the theads anymore.

Is the NSX a magical engine with special parts? I didn't price out a Civic or a supra build, I gave prices for an NSX build. I used real world prices without skimping on any parts.

It would seem as if we are all in agreement here. I don't see any parts included in NA1MT's build that I didn't address. My prices were in line with what NA1MT posted with the exception of the 5k in labor, 800 dollar bearings?? and the headwork which I stated I would go with stock heads. I don't see where the argument here is.

The price of the turbo kit is accurate because I have built the entire turbo kit I posted and payed those prices with the exception of the turbocharger, I got smaller Garrett unit.

I "Speculated" customer engine builds and "theorized" about custom turbo kit builds for a living. I have ran 9's. I could say you guys are guessing at what is necessary to run 9's.

.......since you are such a genius and gonna run stock sleeves on an 800+ hp motor.....multiply your build costs by 2 and hopefully youll get it right the second time around....Im done here.

Back