Full size Acura SUV?

Now that Nissan is coming out with a full size SUV and Lexus already has one. Do you think Acura will follow? I'd like to see something larger than the MDX. I don't recall even hearing of rumors of one. Has anybody heard anything? What are your thoughts on it?

dual-platforms...

hmmm, to my knowledge... the Toyota/Nissan full sized SUV's have shared platforms w/ their respective sub-divisions. Nissan always had a full-sized SUV for the international market, called the Nissan Patrol. Now, it's updated model is hitting the US shores (alongside the full-sized light-truck; of which alot is shared) And Toyota's LandCruiser is legendary abroad, of-course it shares it's platform w/ the Lexus LX470 (and many similar components w/ the full-sized Tundra light truck).

The Honda Pilot and Acura MDX are shared platforms (an assumption?). If Honda goes full-size w/ their SUV line-up, anticipate a Honda version and one for Acura...
:)

Yes, from what I understand the Odyssey, MDX and Pilot share a platform. I know if they did build a full-size it would probably have to be all new. It would definitely have to have a V-8 as well. A 3.5 V-6 just isn't going to cut it. I was reading an article today that the new Infiniti SUV is larger than the Escalade and has more towing power too.

I think that is highly doubtful. Honda has no true truck chassis to build off of; as Nissan and Toyota do. Honda instead is focusing on more light "trucks" such as the upcoming pickup and pickup/SUV (a la Subaru Baja/Chevy Avalanche) ~ both based on the Odyssey/MDX/Pilot platform.

The new Infiniti SUV is a monster ~ it would take years for Honda to catch up in the truck market to that level... and I honestly doubt many Honda consumers are asking for that. Honda builds better quick, efficient cars than it does large tow-monster trucks.

I doubt Honda would ever release a full size SUV, for the reasons listed by others. SUV's tend to be fuel inefficient which goes against Honda's philosophy. If they did develop one, it would be for the US market only, as a full-size SUV in Japan would be impractical.

Besides, Honda needs to concentrate on the HSC... it's all about priorities. :D

Oh I agree 100% Get the HSC worked out (preferably with a "street" version of the 3.5L Indy V-8) Then they can work on whatever the hell they want. Like NeoNSX said, priorities man!

Back