• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front Tie Rods

Hi all,

Has anybody replaced front tie rods? Had the car at the dealer today for other service and was told left and right tie rods are bad. Funny, it was aligned about 400 miles ago: you'd think the shop couldn't miss that.

Also, a source to buy? I called my friendly auto parts store and was told they couldn't order these and I couldn't find on Dali's site.

I checked FAQ and didn't find anything.

Thanks for any information you can give!

Steve

Are you/they sure it's the tie-rods and not the steering rack? Sometimes the steering rack makes some noise. Nothing serious but annoying.

Actually, I just checked the invoice and it says both INNER tie rods are broken.:frown: Sounds scary. It drove home ok but I don't want to loose a wheel if it's legit.

Yes, it sounds scary. Get your car to a dealer you trust and let him check the car. How much miles has your car? If you lift the car, do you feel some play on the wheels? Do you hear anything while driving? Do you feel some play on the steering wheel?

SteveC said:
Actually, I just checked the invoice and it says both INNER tie rods are broken.:frown: Sounds scary. It drove home ok but I don't want to loose a wheel if it's legit.

You won't lose a wheel, and if they are "broken" you wouldn't be able to steer at all.

Call and find someone from the shop to explain what exactly they feel is wrong. I don't think they have been able to convey to you, so that you understand, what is the problem with your car.

Last edited:
The dealer is probably full of shit and trying to sell you something you don't need. Get the front of the car on jack stands. Have a freind hold the streering wheel or make sure it is locked. The kneel in front of each tire and put your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock and see if you make the tire wiggle from side to side.
There should be absolutely no play.

My car has 170,000 miles and the original tie rod ends are fine. Then again it is my firm belief that the Iron Maiden sticker wards off those evil car gremlins. At least to a apoint. :)

I was just in the garage replacing my left inner tierod end and new shocks.
Mine had some play with the 9/3 o'clock wiggle of the tire. You can reach the tie rods and feel where the play is.
As it turned out, my inner tierod end was OK. The end that tightens to the steering rack was loose even tho the locking washer was bent over properly.
Replaced it anyway.

The inner tierod ends are prettly stout looking, I find it hard to believe they could be broken.

SteveC, you wouldn't by any chance own a 2002 911 TT and an S2000, would you?

I had both sides inner tie rod replaced. The wheels were wandering at speeds. After replacement the car is now fine. Not expensive to replace btw.

Back