Freeport, ME

Hey guys,

Well, I only have a few days off this summer so we're gonna do something different this year and just pack the 3 kids into the Odyssey and drive down to Freeport, ME. :biggrin:

Obviously LL Bean will be our main destination but we also want to take in some local scenery, find activities for the kids as well as eat a lot of seafood.

Can anyone suggest places to go? We're looking at staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Freeport but also looking at the Harraseeket Inn.

Thanks
John

Hi John;

How's that new baby doing? I figured u would get over ruled on coming to
Est Fest.. We had a great time there; I would like to suggest a drive up US
Route 1 to Owls Head about 40 miles (approx 50 klm) from Freeport/LL Bean
the area of Rockland & Camden are very nice. In Owls Head has a great Trans. Museum with lots of interesting car & old planes and a bit of everything. Then way noth east is Arcadia Nat. Park very beautiful along the
coast.

Have a safe trip & good luck!

Regards; Clem:cool:

L.L.Bean is very busy this time of year. The weekends are the worst , everybody is on vacation, and Maine is a popular place for a visit during the summer months.

If you go be sure to check out the L.L.Bean annex located across the street and away from all the traffic. It is a little hard to find, and you may have to ask a L. L. Bean employee where it is located. This is L. L. Beans' discount store with returns and slightly damaged goods. The prices are a steal because even if you buy it there you still get the standard guarantee new or not. It is hit or miss if you find something to your liking , inventory changes due to whatever they receive to sell , but worth a look.

One thing I have done in past trips to L. L. Bean was to arrive at an ungodly hour of the day or night and go shopping at midnight or later. ( L. L. Bean is open 24 hours ) No lines , no waiting , no crowds , plenty parking. Main store will be open , but annex closes and is open during the day only.

A good side trip is to Kittery , about 1+ hours south on I-95. They have the Kittery Trading Post which is like L. L. Bean but much better prices. There is also a large amount of Factory outlets and some good restaurants and cheaper hotels than the Freeport area.

Back