For those with the CTSC, quick question

I got my car back on Wednesday after installing my CTSC and I was wondering if anyone else's engine chatter got louder. The noise I am talking about is when you're in that low rpm (1k-1500 range).
I know that engine shuddering is normal but now it's like a chatter with the CTSC installed.
So, is this normal or is something loose?

Id check it. I drove mine to work today, finally:biggrin: and I didnt hear any engine chatter. I drove with radio off (on purpose) because I hadnt driven it for awhile and I like listen and make sure she's 100%.:wink:

DVDoughboy said:
I got my car back on Wednesday after installing my CTSC and I was wondering if anyone else's engine chatter got louder. The noise I am talking about is when you're in that low rpm (1k-1500 range).
I know that engine shuddering is normal but now it's like a chatter with the CTSC installed.

What year is your car?
Is this the new [Autorotor]CTSC?
I have 2 CTSCed NSXs both with the older [Whipple]CTSC; no chatter issues with either one.
Is this an engine issue or could it be a clutch on it way out?
How does the clutch grab at a 1-2 shift under power?

Bob
I have a 2002 with the new autorotor.
I spoke to the tech who installed it and he said that he's heard that noise before on another vehicle.

I'll do the clutch test the next time I drive the car (where you go about 20-30 mph and then shift to 6th gear). To answer your question, I have no problems with the 1-2 shift under power.

This "chattering" only happens when I am in 1st and just beginning to go (and never above 2k rpms). Although the tech said he heard it when he's slowing down and puts the car into neutral and the SC is idle.

Just got off the phone with comptech and they said it's normal at idle or low rpms. He said I should be concerned if the noise occurs at higher rpms like 4k or 5k.

On the Whipple units there is relief valve located under the manifold that is in the open position [no boost] under high vacuum conditions. This means between idle and 2K approximately and while cruising at constant speed [high vacuum condition]. When you depress the throttle and the vacuum falls the relief vale closes and you now have boost.
I am not familiar with the configuration of the Autorotor set-up but I imagine it has not changed significantly, other than the SC units. It would be helpful if someone could confirm the relief vale operation is same for the old and new CT units.
Your problem seems to occur only at the lower RPM [no boost] condition and other than that the car is running well. I believe I remember reading in your 1st post that the car had this shutter before the installation but it was amplified by the SC installation. Are these 2 statements correct?
Did you have the injectors cleaned and checked when you did the installation?
Where the plugs changed at the time of the installation?

I went home during lunch to swap cars and drove the NSX back to work.

On just normal driving, I don't hear the noise. I was able to duplicate this noise only when I am in first and don't give it enough gas.

DVDoughboy said:
I went home during lunch to swap cars and drove the NSX back to work.

On just normal driving, I don't hear the noise. I was able to duplicate this noise only when I am in first and don't give it enough gas.

normal, dont sweat it bro and stay out of first with not enough gas;) enjoy
best regards dave

DVDoughboy said:
I am talking about is when you're in that low rpm (1k-1500 range).
I had posted a video of the car at idle in the past, asides of louder air sucking/breathing noise from the Cantrell AIS, there is no chatter of any kind.

I have had it for a while now and my girlfriend doesn't even know its supercharged. I just stay out out of boost, drive really slowly and crank up the music when she is in the car.

nsxsupra said:
I had posted a video of the car at idle in the past, asides of louder air sucking/breathing noise from the Cantrell AIS, there is no chatter of any kind.

I have had it for a while now and my girlfriend doesn't even know its supercharged. I just stay out out of boost, drive really slowly and crank up the music when she is in the car.

LOL... Jason trust me, you could be on boost the whole time, drive fast and have the radio off and she STILL wouldn't notice... she'd just tell you to slow down....

I just can't see a chick saying "ah, I hear that whine, did you go and get a supercharger without my knowledge?"....

I was able to duplicate this noise only when I am in first and don't give it enough gas.

I have it on mine and MB states it is normal. Especially, if you drive your NSX in heavy stop/go traffic.

It is caused from the Whipple gear lash which has a "sweet spot" at a certain RPM. At this certain range of low RPMs the car sounds like a box of rocks or marbles is being sucked into your engine.

Normal. Worry about something else...

Drew

Since I have gone FI with the CTSC I have the same dependable good running car. I never dated a bitchy supermodel but I don't think it would be like that at all. I would compare it to dating the same girl you have been for some time, that has a great personality, has joined a gym and is now in great shape. She now doesn't get tired or out of breath and is more fun to be with than ever.
She leaves most other girsl in the dust and is the only one I have eyes for. She's not moody at all, never was. Couldn't live with that.
I do not think of my car as a "she" or "my baby". For me that stuff is weird and am trying to relate to you on your own terms using a similar analogy.:cool:

Bob Kenney said:
What year is your car?
Is this the new [Autorotor]CTSC?
I have 2 CTSCed NSXs both with the older [Whipple]CTSC; no chatter issues with either one.
Is this an engine issue or could it be a clutch on it way out?
How does the clutch grab at a 1-2 shift under power?
what is the difrense between the 3 types superchargers?
thanks dimitris

drew said:
I have it on mine and MB states it is normal. Especially, if you drive your NSX in heavy stop/go traffic.

It is caused from the Whipple gear lash which has a "sweet spot" at a certain RPM. At this certain range of low RPMs the car sounds like a box of rocks or marbles is being sucked into your engine.

Normal. Worry about something else...

Drew

I agree with Drew. While annoying, esp. when you have a buddy with a 800hp Supra with a whisper quiet, it's normal....

R

Wheelman said:
I don't hear it on mine but as long as you don't hear "boom", your ok.

I here a "BOOM" in mine if its in too high of gear for the rpms and acura said its normal. I don't think so???:eek:

Back