For anyone with post-secondary education: Business or Science?

I know both business and science will be hardwork...

but now is the time for me to choose.

which do you guys recommend?

Im originally set for science.....but the career choices after university seems very little and small.....

But for business....there are more career choices and better money making opportunities compared to science.....

I mean I really love both, especially science....but business seems a lot more attractive in the sense of making money.....

I would really like to know what you guys think. right now I am in general science undeclared major, in canada.

Science and business are both very broad. You should focus more on specific aspects of both and see what interests you more. If you like science you could do anything from physics to engineering. Take a look at some more specific careers and search for those type of jobs and then read the job descriptions.

Definitely go with Buisness, unless you plan on going to graduate school in science. I have a BS in Molecular & Cellular Biology and the jobs out there are awful. Almost every job you need at least an MS and even more require a PhD.

Just my .02.

I say go with what you'll enjoy the most. Sure there is a lot of money in business, but I couldn't imagine not being an Engineer.

Pure sciences like Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics pay very well in the job market, but are a little more challenging to get your foot in the door. Engineering sciences like Chemical Eng, Electrical Eng, Computer Eng (me), Computer Science, Aerospace Eng, etc... pay very well and are pretty easy to get into a job right out of college (without graduate school). Some are easier than others to find jobs and some degrees are more difficult to earn than others, it just depends on what you're into. Graduate degrees in the Science and Engineering disciplines will almost ALWAYS earn you a major increase in the income bracket (esp Phd).

On the other hand, I know a few fellow Engineers working on their MBAs and MIBs. I knew a couple MBAs in college that went on to make A LOT of money (more than you can make working for somebody else).

In the end, you just have to be happy. I wouldn't have been happy getting my education in business, it's just not who I am. Find out who you are in the "real world" and pursue it with a passion! :biggrin:

Get as much knowledge about science. When the time is right, you can switch to a business that is related to your type of science. (ie: computer chip)In business, it's all about selling. Once you know your product's ins and out, figure a way to sell it to the mass. You'll make lots of $$$$$ then you can buy this. :cool:

Attachments

• gotmine.jpg
    gotmine.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 135
I'd have to agree with Aero...my sister got a degree in "finance" and it was too general of a degree to land a job that would give you a decent living.

I was at the same crossroads you are at and ended up taking the basic core classes in each field to see if I had a better feel for one or the other. After two semesters, I went the "science" route.

Had I waited a few more years, the school that I graduated from now offers the doctorate degree combined with an MBA. That sure would have taken care of any second thoughts I had. :biggrin:

Whichever why you choose, the old cliche still holds: make sure you are reasonably excited with and enjoy the field you've picked, with the money being second. Work is work, but there's not much worse in this world than having a job with great pay, but you makes you absolutely miserable. Makes you generally unpleasant to be around and eventually will probably affect your health (physical and mental)

Couple of things from my experience.

Engineers can make good money. I have a masters in Computer Engineering
Managers can make significantly more money... I'm currently working on MBA..

That's the money perspective... but seriously.. do what makes you happy. Working in an environment you hate is like torture.

good luck choosing.
x

You might also look at an Engineering management undergrad degree and follow that up with a MBA but have the company you work for out of undergrad pay for it.
I did undergrad in Aero Eng then an MBA (now another MS in Aero) and I didn't really enjoy the MBA as much cause I didn't find biz interesting. It was a lot less work but you gotta do what you like. I only did it cause they were paying for it. :biggrin:

I agree. Get a solid engineering degree, eg. electrical, computer, etc. then follow up with an MBA. This is a potent combination, and the people with this type of background tend to do extremely well as they have a significant advantage over those who understand just one side of it (ie just the business aspect or the technical side).

Wheelman said:
Go with what you enjoy and make the most out of it. Everything else should fall in place on its own.
i couldn't agree more - do what you enjoy and you'll find "success" - though the definition of "success" may change over time. good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
here is my 2 cents on this subject.

if it fits your interest i would say that
doing a BS in engineering followed by an MBA will be a good strategy,
the BS in engineering will allow you to get a OK paying job out of school, and if your lucky you can go to MBA for FREE via your company.

I myself have 2 BS (Computer and Electrical) and a MS in Computer engineering, although i kind of wish i did an MBA instead of the MS because unfortunately, alot of times individuals in the engineering/sciences do not end up using their skills much to their dismay, unless you are a 'designer', 'tester', 'analyst' your duties will probably be more of a business type nature than technical.

in the end do what you enjoy the most, life is too short to put yourself through school if you dont like the subject. the reason i peg the MBA is
its good CAREER INSURANCE, so if you decided to be a scientist/engineer for 10 years, then you find your area of expertise is not relevant anymore (kind of like if you were a vaccum tube designer when Solid State stuff started coming out) you still have some business sense to fall back on.

I went from a Bachelors in Computer Science...

...to a Masters in Radiation Physics...

...to a Doctorate in Medicine.

And I wouldn't have it any other way! :biggrin:

I am a bit skeptic on the whole MBA issue... I know so many friends doing/did it and it seems that now there is really a big line of MBA graduates, at least here.

The market does not offer enough higher-up positions for all the MBAs and the drawback is that many company fears hiring MBAs to do more techincal work (what these people were doing before getting the MBA) since they know that the work is taken only temporarly while keeping to look for a more management position.

Furthermore, the MBA, seems quite too easy to achieve (sitting on your ass for 18 months :tongue: :wink: ) for what it used to offer (+30k/year on average salary), that is why so many are pursuing it now.

Companies know this and are lowering the average pay for MBA vs non-MBA similar positions, last year the +30k went down to +22k... for the lucky ones finding a job.

It seems the big winners of this craze are the schools offering MBA programs, they are doing extremely well! :biggrin:

<insert disclaimer - I probably have no idea what i'm talking about, but this is my view on the subject>

gheba_nsx said:
It seems the big winners of this craze are the schools offering MBA programs, they are doing extremely well! :biggrin:

hehe or big winner being ME in my case =) BWUHAHAHA its free for me cuz my company pays and its just another way to extract the $$$ that my company owes me < insert evil laugh>

from what all my buddies tell me, it seems alot of the MBA knowledge they are attaining is more to shape them into a better 'cog' in the business machine, i myself am more interested in the entrepreneurial useful-type knowledge which in actuality you dont need an MBA for, as most people just DO IT and do just fine.

that being said, as far as the downtime on technical knowledge, it has been my observation that my colleagues and college buddies are pursuing their MBA's because they are hitting roadblocks in their technical tracks, or are finding that their current technical path is not leading to what they originally intended.

for instance my friend with a BS and 1 year of work experience already has a corner office in a Chicago high rise and sits 100 feet from the CEO....
then again he has great business sense and personality so go figure

all that being said, if "I" had to pay for it, there is no way in hell i would get an MBA :biggrin: i'm already too poor from grad school the first time =)

well nothing is easy in life....

i don't know. I think i came to this crossroad when I found that I'm doing poorly in science. I don't understand, I thought I worked hard, but marks are a reflection of your skill..maybe cause this is my first semester in university....

Ya some great points you guys made out.....I'm thinking about medical school but to study continually for the next 10 years or more before I can make money and maybe afford an NSX after is really discouraging.

Im hoping to major in Joint Major in Microbiology and Biochemistry with Business Administration, but like someone mentioned, you gotta get a phd at least to get a descent pay, which is quite understandable.

I think I've always been quite creative, and skilled in useless talents like art, music, piano and shit like that but in reality, it has no advantage besides pleasure from doing it. I have no intention of going in to music...this is suicide.

Ah, this is possibly the greatest and hardest choice I will have to make.....well you guys enjoy your life....my life as a lowly student continues....

downwiz2 said:
I think I've always been quite creative, and skilled in useless talents like art, music, piano and shit like that but in reality, it has no advantage besides pleasure from doing it. I have no intention of going in to music...this is suicide.

art is hardly a useless talent. being a good art student can lead to a career in many kinds of design. Graphic design, interior design, architecture, hell... engineering... it did for me.

I'm still a lowly student... but also heading up my design company, living and learning the business... there's no better time than now to get the "early years" out of my way.

I tried the business major thing... but it was soooo boring. Just not my thing. I like to work on projects, something new and completely different every couple months. Business seemed more repetitive and less exciting. (just my personal tastes) For me, if I had the choice of science or business... using engineering to create something, then owning the patent and selling your product is one of the best ways to get loaded, and still do what you enjoy.

good luck! I switched my major 4 times, so don't fret... everyone else feels like you do at that age
:)

combine both... (into one field)

many are recommending engineering as a science part...

Well you can do Industrial Engineering......Its basically the business of engineering. With a degree in I.E you have a very wide range of options. You, can work in a science based company,to marketing , manufacturing, service, to hospitals, to banks, to many other fields....

Another option, would be like the other poster mentioned...you can get a quick under grad. in science (or another field you like), and then go for 2 more years and get mba.

But like another poster said .... do something "you love"..

For example people think they like computers and think they would like to get a computer degree, but once they start taking programming classes, they dont like it, and find out that its not what they expected. Same goes to many other fields.

So truely find out what you really like, your passion, and go for it.....then financial success would follow..

downwiz2 said:
well nothing is easy in life....

"I think I've always been quite creative, and skilled in useless talents like art, music, piano and shit like that but in reality, it has no advantage besides pleasure from doing it. I have no intention of going in to music...this is suicide.

Ah, this is possibly the greatest and hardest choice I will have to make.....well you guys enjoy your life....my life as a lowly student continues"

The world is a much better place because of the arts and music. Otherwise we humans seem to create things mostly for destructive purposes. Imagine if Michaelangelo, DaVinci, Mozart, et al , decided not to pursue their passions and talents? For you to feel that those things are "shit like that" saddens me.
People are given talents for a reason, whether or not those talents are artistic/creative or scientific/businesslike. I would imagine the happiest people are those that end up doing what they feel they are meant to do, not what other people tell them they should be doing. Do what really burns in your soul, even if it means a smaller bank account.
Whatever you choose now isn't locked in stone, either. People change careers
all the time. You are at a crossroads in life, but whatever path you take, it will lead to more intersections. It may sound cliche', but the journey is really more important than the destination.
Please tell me you don't really subscribe to the quote in your signature...that negative attitude is one I'm sure you would not want focused in your direction.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy life, but not at the expense of others.

rickysals said:
... using engineering to create something, then owning the patent and selling your product is one of the best ways to get loaded, and still do what you enjoy.
:)

thats exactly what i plan to do.

but what is the chance of that happening? its like winning a lottery ticket. for instance in Biomedical engineering, new drugs takes at least 8 to 12 years to hit market, after the rigorous FDA filtering. not sure of the exact # but something like 10,000 potential medications are rejected by FDA annually......

who said it had to be something that in depth :p

the guy who invented the little pizza tables that go in the box to prevent crushing is a millionaire.

it just takes one time... and yes for every idea and attempt soneone does, 1 in 10,000 makes serious cash...

but hell, i'll take a 1 in 1000 chance or whatever to be a millionaire, over choosing a careerpath that makes it literally impossible, if it fits

Just do what interests you. In my opinion, "science or business" is a pretty narrow view of the world. What about the random guy in Arizona who makes $500k a year making custom Teak furniture in his garage? Do you think he ever sat down and said, "damn, should I do business or science?"

You can make a very good living doing ANYTHING. You just have to be really fucking good at whatever that anything happens to be.

Getting good at something requires you to practice it. A _lot_.

Practicing something a _lot_ generally requires that you like doing it.

You dig?

That said, I just finished an Economics bachelor's at UCSD, and now I engineer UNIX software for a living (been practicing since I was 12 - that probably counts as "a lot", but it's not nearly enough to be anywhere near the best I could be in this field).

Maybe I'll give up and get an MBA some day :)

Back