Flying on the Airbus A380

You know, anyone angry about the high price of carbon car parts should look to the A380 (and the 787, and the Joint Strike Fighter). So much carbon used in any of these three that between them, they've bought up something like half the world supply in long term contracts.

Of course, car parts are usually overpriced for several other reasons as well, but this doesn't help. Still, amazing plane.

Nick

Is it made in Lithuania?

I wondered how this compared in size to the C5.

C5:

Length: 247.1ft
Wingspan: 222.9ft
Height: 65.1ft
MTOW: 840,000lbs

A388:

Length: 239.25ft
Wingspan: 261.7ft
Height: 79.6ft
MTOW: 1,235,000lbs

:eek::eek: That puts it into perspective. That thing is HUGE.

Never been in a C5, but I walked thought the A380 when it was here in CGV.

Here are some pics of the difference in size inside a C17 & C130. Rode the C17 from ChristChurch NZ to McMurdo in Antartica and then the LC130 down to the South Pole... C17 is a big, big plane.

Attachments

• 23_vast_c17_interior.jpg
    23_vast_c17_interior.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 80
  • feb2008_6.jpg
    feb2008_6.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 44
  • feb2008_7a.jpg
    feb2008_7a.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 47
  • feb2008_3.jpg
    feb2008_3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 41_c17_interior.jpg
    41_c17_interior.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Wd2002-11.jpg
    Wd2002-11.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 36
  • feb2008_13.jpg
    feb2008_13.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 34
  • feb2008_11.jpg
    feb2008_11.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Here are some pics of the difference in size inside a C17 & C130. Rode the C17 from ChristChurch NZ to McMurdo in Antartica and then the LC130 down to the South Pole... C17 is a big, big plane.

Great picts and neat planes. Is the skid on the front of the C-130 retractable so that it may use the nose gear on tarmac?

I remember walking inside a C-5 and when one measures capacity by Greyhound buses, that is big. From Wiki, its around 50% larger than the C-17, making it "Muy Grande" to me.

Watching the C5 land/takeoff closeup:eek: The sound from the motors is also unique, like Star Trek:cool:

There is an airforce training base in the town where I grew up. Every summer they would have a big airshow there. (I have the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels routines memorized :wink:) Every once in awhile they would bring a C-5 in. They would have to leave it waaay out on the runway because it was too heavy to bring on the tarmac. We would have to take buses to and from it.

Alright! Sorry for the long wait but I was terribly busy with proposing and seeing all of the family (Fiancee's side and mine).

The inagural flight was great!

Starting Dubai on August 1st we were greeted at the Dubai International Airport by Emirates employees handing each passenger a complimentary gift bag for the A380. It included a nice silver pen and metal A380 model in a felt velvet like box. We also received a huge A380 magazine which basically showed the new Emirates configured A380 in pictures and write up. Lastly I received a certificate of participation in the inagural flight which was nice as well (it will be framed as it was the first commercial flight of the A380 into NA). All 3 items are still at my parents place in Canada as I didn't want to transport it all back seeing as I was bringing my JIC coilovers too...

The Flight:

The A380 will change modern flight as we know it. In the pictures I'll post on Sunday you can see that the Economy class seats were at least 2 inches wider than all other aircraft. In terms of noise containment the Airbus is amazing because its so much quieter than other aircraft. Its that noticable and made the flight a pleasure. I definately had the best seat in Economy with its own isle and leg room (Emergency Exit) which you'll see in the pictures.

We were not allowed to walk upstairs where Emirates had the 14 business class suites!, 2 spas, and 76 layflat beds of business class. Its understandable as alot of people were walking around the economy sections...

The Panasonic entertainment system is great with more movies, tv, radio, cd's and such to easily make the flight fly by. It was so good I didn't even use my Ipod...huge screens and clarity that most would expect from Emirates and their need to be the best.

The flight took off on the runway in Dubai to loud applause which was great! No problems throughout the flight and it was smooth sailing and smoother than most flights I'm on back to NA.

When we arrived in New York there were people lining fields and roadways nearby to the airport to snap pictures as we landed. Once on the tarmac the plane was greeted by alot of Police and Emergency patrols to much excitement it would seem. The JFK fire department gave us the honourary spray of the water cannons which was a great highlight for the flight. People cheered and applauded when we landed and throughout this whole presentation once we taxied to the terminal.

I love this plane and next time it will be business class! I would have booked business class but on this inagural flight both first and business class booked in less than an hour once it was announced. Many VVIP's and media were on board for the flight and the film crew in front of me (yes I was filmed) said once we landed that the plane was heading on a 9-day media tour (San Fran, LA, etc).

Pictures will be posted on Sunday night...thanks for reading.

Jetpilot

Last edited:
European cluster-f*ck of a plane...

Jetpilot3, damn that delay you gave us in regards to your follow-up was almost as long as Airbus Industrie's in delay in delivering that bugger... ;)

It must be neat to be a part of history! I had the chance to get on one of the final B.A. Concorde flights (Heathrow-JFK) in which there was a special-offer of 1-way Concorde, return via' conventional jet-liner; but oddly I couldn't get a reasonably-priced return flight back (all were booked due to the season... and it's timing was near Harrod's annual-sale, lolz). Bummer... :D

Last edited:
I can see your grandkids on Antique Roadshow wanting to see how much the framed certificate of the first flight is worth.

Re: European cluster-f*ck of a plane...

Jetpilot3, damn that delay you gave us in regards to your follow-up was almost as long as Airbus Industrie's in delay in delivering that bugger... ;)

It must be neat to be a part of history! I had the chance to get on one of the final B.A. Concorde flights (Heathrow-JFK) in which there was a special-offer of 1-way Concorde, return via' conventional jet-liner; but oddly I couldn't get a reasonably-priced return flight back (all were booked due to the season... and it's timing was near Harrod's annual-sale, lolz). Bummer... :D

haha...exactly! I'll get the photos up as soon as I can.:tongue:

Re: European cluster-f*ck of a plane...

haha...exactly! I'll get the photos up as soon as I can.:tongue:

And no phone call when you were in NYC?:tongue::biggrin:

What were you doing at the south pole?

Here are the long awaited photos!

On the Tarmac in Dubai (close up):
DSC00030.jpg

Tarmac in Dubai:
DSC00029.jpg

Check out how high the passenger walkways are in order to board the plane in First and Business Class:
DSC00038.jpg

My seat in Economy Class (window seat):
DSC00033.jpg

The seats look narrow due to my camera but check the room I had! Now consider that I was sitting with my left leg across my right:
DSC00034.jpg

Economy Class and the new Panasonic large screens:
DSC00031.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

Notice how the wings full of fuel bow down and sit so low to the ground during taxi:
DSC00040.jpg

Our Arrival at JFK was greeted with Security and Police officials:
DSC00046.jpg

Fire Truck water spray celebration:
DSC00047.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

On the tarmac at JFK:
DSC00051.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure it was pretty nice to take pictures through the windows of the airplane before they get all scratched up from kids.

By the way, is that all smog in Dubai? The air quality looks pretty poor.

Back